College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

USC was invited the first time and declined. Not sure why that would change (although they can wear black socks now so who knows).

They have a different coach now, so who knows?

a decision like that goes above kiffin and hayden may even have to get permission...with that being said I don't think the alumni base would be up in arms if they did something retro inspired and subtle like alabama did

FWIW, that was a part of the contract Nike signed with Bama (and tOSU and a few others) which is why they did it. I think Bama would have preferred to not participate at all. PCR is not a part of the Nike-USC contract as far as I understand it, so I wouldn't expect that. Nike would have preferred a more dramatic shift than Bama and Texas allowed. That is why Texas didn't participate in year 2.

that all makes sense...overall I'm starting to think the pro combat promotion has been successful as it's given attention to some of the not quite elite schools and has created a live test environment to test out concepts...what I would've expected a little more of is for teams to adopt a few elements into their traditional uniforms but that really hasn't happened except in cases like boise and tcu...fsu should've switched to the pro combat number font on their regular jerseys.

let me clarify though...I think this program has been successful for nike and the participating programs but the law of unintended consequences reared its ugly head this past season where the DIY pro combats and mix and match mania from the smaller schools combined with adidas' hastily done one-off's have created an aesthetic nightmare for the cfb purists...when it was just nike things felt a bit more under control and better coordinated but now we have reached the realm of uniform chaos theory in cfb.

On-field is not where you should be testing concepts. There's an appropriate time to test a prototype, and that's in practices before the final product is unveiled to the public. All these Nike designs, however, are just that, prototypes that are being worn on the field to create buzz for Nike's line of protective underwear. It's not drawing attention to non-elite schools. It's using the non-elite schools as a vehicle to draw attention to Nike, under the guise of pampering the non-elite schools, making them feel special because they're getting the big boy treatment from Nike.

The adidas one-offs were no more hastily done than the Nike one-offs. Many of them were better than most of the Nike one-offs, in fact.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://conferenceusa.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/012412aaa.html

SMU has ditched Adidas and is now a Nike school.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

USC was invited the first time and declined. Not sure why that would change (although they can wear black socks now so who knows).

They have a different coach now, so who knows?

a decision like that goes above kiffin and hayden may even have to get permission...with that being said I don't think the alumni base would be up in arms if they did something retro inspired and subtle like alabama did

FWIW, that was a part of the contract Nike signed with Bama (and tOSU and a few others) which is why they did it. I think Bama would have preferred to not participate at all. PCR is not a part of the Nike-USC contract as far as I understand it, so I wouldn't expect that. Nike would have preferred a more dramatic shift than Bama and Texas allowed. That is why Texas didn't participate in year 2.

that all makes sense...overall I'm starting to think the pro combat promotion has been successful as it's given attention to some of the not quite elite schools and has created a live test environment to test out concepts...what I would've expected a little more of is for teams to adopt a few elements into their traditional uniforms but that really hasn't happened except in cases like boise and tcu...fsu should've switched to the pro combat number font on their regular jerseys.

let me clarify though...I think this program has been successful for nike and the participating programs but the law of unintended consequences reared its ugly head this past season where the DIY pro combats and mix and match mania from the smaller schools combined with adidas' hastily done one-off's have created an aesthetic nightmare for the cfb purists...when it was just nike things felt a bit more under control and better coordinated but now we have reached the realm of uniform chaos theory in cfb.

On-field is not where you should be testing concepts. There's an appropriate time to test a prototype, and that's in practices before the final product is unveiled to the public. All these Nike designs, however, are just that, prototypes that are being worn on the field to create buzz for Nike's line of protective underwear. It's not drawing attention to non-elite schools. It's using the non-elite schools as a vehicle to draw attention to Nike, under the guise of pampering the non-elite schools, making them feel special because they're getting the big boy treatment from Nike.

The adidas one-offs were no more hastily done than the Nike one-offs. Many of them were better than most of the Nike one-offs, in fact.

agree to disagree here...I completely considered your position and held the same concerns when the program was initially unveiled but in retrospect it wasn't a big deal for the teams involved...I also have to disagree with your assertion that an actual game is not an appropriate venue to test a design...while you can do r&d on the practice field to test functionality a game field is pretty much the only place you can really tell if a design actually works in that environment...just ask south carolina about that one.

Pretty sure they could have made a student manager walk up to the press box and say, 'Yep, I can read those.' or 'Nope, the numbers need to be white or something.' very easily. Absolutely no way can that only be tested in game. In-game is a showcase for the final product, not a work in progress.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Pretty sure they could have made a student manager walk up to the press box and say, 'Yep, I can read those.' or 'Nope, the numbers need to be white or something.' very easily. Absolutely no way can that only be tested in game. In-game is a showcase for the final product, not a work in progress.

ideally yes...in practice no.

there are quite a few of examples of one game and done designs and one season and done designs because they simply did not work once they got to the field.

you're free to hold your opinion though

Interesting. it feels like they just went to adidas recently. I hope they still with this color scheme rather than the darker blue they had previously used under Nike.

Mizzou will also be getting all new uniforms next season as well. I have yet to see any leaks or even any comments hinting to what might be coming up however.

I have no inside information, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them return to a more traditional look to fit in with their new conference. I suspect they are looking for attention, however, and will thus end up with a more futurisitic look.

ideally yes...in practice no.

there are quite a few of examples of one game and done designs and one season and done designs because they simply did not work once they got to the field.

you're free to hold your opinion though

Well, the only time Andrew's plan wouldn't work is when some designer is deliberately pushing the envelope as far as possible, just to see how "out there" they can get. If its so questionable that you need game conditions to see if it'll work, why not just dial it back a bit?

Well, the only time Andrew's plan wouldn't work is when some designer is deliberately pushing the envelope as far as possible, just to see how "out there" they can get.

That's completely unheard of... :rolleyes:

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Mizzou will also be getting all new uniforms next season as well. I have yet to see any leaks or even any comments hinting to what might be coming up however.

There qb tweeted a pic back in december with some but idk how legit they were, seeing how they still had nike wings

Bucknut40.pngOhioStatebanner.png

#RaiderUp

Twitter-@R_Redinger4 My Blog-Southwest Ohio Football

NCFAF-Wheeling Coal Miners,NCFAF-FCS Lake Erie Shoremen, NCFAB-Wheeling Coal Miners

This is exciting, interested in seeing what they do with them... Hopefully they tell them no more black?

:lol:

This is Nike we're talking about.

There qb tweeted a pic back in december with some but idk how legit they were, seeing how they still had nike wings

Yea, that was Ashton Glaser, one of their backup QB's. This was the image:

mizzou+new+uniforms.jpg

I truly hope that it was just one of the many templates Nike sent to them to see what direction they wanted to go in. Honestly, the Fly Wire was ok when the first Pro Combats were released, but I'm not a fan of it. There was a video where Mike Alden (Mizzou's AD) was speaking about the uniforms. Here's the link if you haven't seen it already. (Skip ahead to about the 13:35 mark)

http://www.mutigers.com/allaccess/?media=291901

With them moving to the SEC next year, they're going to want to separate themselves from the other two Tigers (LSU, Auburn) and also I can see them ditching the block 'M' on the helmets not only because Mississippi State also has a block 'M', but more because the oval Tiger logo is the logo they have been promoting for the past few years as the mark of the school, so I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being the primary on the helmets. Anyways, I'm really excited to see what they bring to the table.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

mizzou+new+uniforms.jpg

I truly hope that it was just one of the many templates Nike sent to them to see what direction they wanted to go in. Honestly, the Fly Wire was ok when the first Pro Combats were released, but I'm not a fan of it. There was a video where Mike Alden (Mizzou's AD) was speaking about the uniforms. Here's the link if you haven't seen it already. (Skip ahead to about the 13:35 mark)

With them moving to the SEC next year, they're going to want to separate themselves from the other two Tigers (LSU, Auburn) and also I can see them ditching the block 'M' on the helmets not only because Mississippi State also has a block 'M', but more because the oval Tiger logo is the logo they have been promoting for the past few years as the mark of the school, so I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being the primary on the helmets. Anyways, I'm really excited to see what they bring to the table.

Now that I look at this again, that gold panel on the pants looks to be about the same size/shape as the chainmaille mesh panel on Oregon's Rose Bowl pants, but yeah, the jersey still looks old.

mizzou+new+uniforms.jpg

Now that I look at this again, that gold panel on the pants looks to be about the same size/shape as the chainmaille mesh panel on Oregon's Rose Bowl pants, but yeah, the jersey still looks old.

Yea, I noticed that as well. I imagine they will use the newer template Oregon had for the Rose Bowl game, but I don't see them going to crazy with the uniforms. My guess is that there will be at least 2 helmets, possibly 3....3 different jerseys as well as 3 sets of pants, going along with the colors/combinations they previously had, but just updating the look and (hopefully) making their golds match.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

mizzou+new+uniforms.jpg

Looks to me just like a Nike Team sample for high school coaches to see before ordering.

mizzou+new+uniforms.jpg

http://www.mutigers....s/?media=291901

Looks to me just like a Nike Team sample for high school coaches to see before ordering.

Look at baylor. Same look. Old template, still using it. It could be legit but I'd hope not. Black with SMU is more of a June Jones thing so I could see it staying.

This post confuses me.

He thinks Louisville's going to a BCS bowl next year. That should tell you all you need to know.

I think this post is about the lack of uniform tradition now a days and not thinking about UofL in a BCS bowl. This is a reaction of Texas possibly using black unis that don't match their color scheme. That's why I compare UofL's black unis to UK's Black uni's because of the difference between using black as part of your color scheme and using Black for Recruiting Sakes.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

nvm

Archived