College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

No, not at all. Most teams don't get jerseys until much later in the summer. I know at many schools, the full set of jerseys don't come in until fall camp has started. It's even common for old stock to be used for team photo/media day. At a lot of schools, for these freshman head shots in the summer, players don't even wear the correct number.

As someone who's been around it, I still maintain that it is. The player in this pic is wearing pants, gloves and holding a helmet, so it obviously isn't for a head shot. I know when teams get uniforms. I also know that the ones I've been around don't take freshman pics in last year's uniforms the first weekend freshmen can be on campus in the summer. Of course tons of teams wear last year's uniforms for these kind of pictures, but most teams don't change uniforms from year to year.

I've been around college programs for 11+ years, and I would say it is extremely rare for a team to get their uniforms in this early, at least in my experience. A lot of the gear comes in before that, but not the uniforms. That's why it's so common for you to see guys in last years' uniforms for media guide covers, pre-season photo shoots, etc. Take a look at the Athlon Sports and other pre-season publications that come out this summer, and you'll see almost exclusively last year's stuff. I don't work in a football equipment room, but have a lot of interaction with those guys currently and have worked with programs where inventory and ordering was part of my job.

At Tennessee, we absolutely take pictures with freshmen in uniform the first day they're going thru workouts, especially if they're players that will get photo requests. Head shots, full body, etc.

Even more so if a team is getting a new design, they would probably only have prototypes at this point and would want to hold off on the unveiling, not leak it so an incoming player can get a promo shot.

Just my opinion, based on my experience. I'm not interested in getting into a debate on who knows more, that wasn't my intention. Just saying my experience from both an equipment and media relations standpoint tells me this isn't unusual at all.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, not at all. Most teams don't get jerseys until much later in the summer. I know at many schools, the full set of jerseys don't come in until fall camp has started. It's even common for old stock to be used for team photo/media day. At a lot of schools, for these freshman head shots in the summer, players don't even wear the correct number.

As someone who's been around it, I still maintain that it is. The player in this pic is wearing pants, gloves and holding a helmet, so it obviously isn't for a head shot. I know when teams get uniforms. I also know that the ones I've been around don't take freshman pics in last year's uniforms the first weekend freshmen can be on campus in the summer. Of course tons of teams wear last year's uniforms for these kind of pictures, but most teams don't change uniforms from year to year.

I've been around college programs for 11+ years, and I would say it is extremely rare for a team to get their uniforms in this early, at least in my experience. A lot of the gear comes in before that, but not the uniforms. That's why it's so common for you to see guys in last years' uniforms for media guide covers, pre-season photo shoots, etc. Take a look at the Athlon Sports and other pre-season publications that come out this summer, and you'll see almost exclusively last year's stuff. I don't work in a football equipment room, but have a lot of interaction with those guys currently and have worked with programs where inventory and ordering was part of my job.

At Tennessee, we absolutely take pictures with freshmen in uniform the first day they're going thru workouts, especially if they're players that will get photo requests. Head shots, full body, etc.

Even more so if a team is getting a new design, they would probably only have prototypes at this point and would want to hold off on the unveiling, not leak it so an incoming player can get a promo shot.

Just my opinion, based on my experience. I'm not interested in getting into a debate on who knows more, that wasn't my intention. Just saying my experience from both an equipment and media relations standpoint tells me this isn't unusual at all.

That's your experience. Just sharing mine.

Ohio's contract with Russell is up, so we may see them getting new uniforms soon.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I hope no one minds if I put in my two cents. I can 100% guarantee that Nike has sent out some jerseys for the 2012 season. Some have been out for weeks. This is a fact. It is entirely possible that Oregon's 2012 uniforms have been sent to them, whether they are a new design or not.

edit: corrected misspelling

So, as to Oregon's uniforms, does anything think it will just be the Rose Bowl unis, or will it be something else? I hope they modifiy the Rose Bowl unis, because while the pattern shows up ok on the Green and probabley the Black jerseys, it's going to be invisible on the Yellow and White jerseys.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

So, as to Oregon's uniforms, does anything think it will just be the Rose Bowl unis, or will it be something else? I hope they modifiy the Rose Bowl unis, because while the pattern shows up ok on the Green and probabley the Black jerseys, it's going to be invisible on the Yellow and White jerseys.

I'm sure they can make it visible...on the lighter colored jerseys they will probably use a much darker shade for the pattern than what would be needed on the darker colored ones.

I personally want to see yellow helmet/pants return.

I'm sure they can make it visible...on the lighter colored jerseys they will probably use a much darker shade for the pattern than what would be needed on the darker colored ones.

Yellow pants, yes. Yellow helmet, dear god no, unless it's the one we wore against Oregon State in 2009.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Speaking of yellow uniforms, that's something I've been curious about. Why did Oregon get rid of yellow pants and helmets? You would think with their quest to have 1,000,000,000 uniform combinations that they'd include those two. For that matter, I'm surprised ASU didn't include a gold jersey in their rebrand. It's the only thing missing from their ensemble.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Yellow pants, yes. Yellow helmet, dear god no, unless it's the one we wore against Oregon State in 2009.

Yeah something like those but the current shade of yellow, not the throwback cheese yellow. However, I would love to see that exact helmet with a fighting ducks set.

I hope no one minds if I put in my two cents. I can 100% guarantee that Nike has sent out some jerseys for the 2012 season. Some have been out for weeks. This is a fact. It is entirely possible that Oregon's 2012 uniforms have been sent to them, whether they are a new design or not.

edit: corrected misspelling

Truth. Minnesota already has their 2012 uniforms. TCU does not (or at least did not as of very recently).

I think it will be that template.

Ridiculous.

Then again, it's college football, where it's entire existence just gets more and more absurd.

Agreed on both counts.

Well, not quite official according to update at the end of the article.

Whoops, I missed that. Thanks for the correction.

you would think they would have already made a decision. the field is already tore up. why would they wait till the last minute? did they float the pewter field idea out there and see what the reaction would be?

The field color aside, the school may be changing their colors? Did I read that right??

That seems like speculation to me. The school's colors are based off of the state flag so I don't see what there is to change.

The field color aside, the school may be changing their colors? Did I read that right??

That seems like speculation to me. The school's colors are based off of the state flag so I don't see what there is to change.

I don't think anyone saw them coming out in uniforms that looks lke crash test dummies either. With UA and Maryland, who knows. Why else would they think of a pewter field?

Archived