College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they go through with this, well then this is precisely why we can't have nice things.

I said it a dozen pages back, but I don't mind repeating myself... Maryland is a complete embarrasment. First try to steal Oregon's whole "uniforms so ugly, they must be cool" thing, then steal Boise's lame colored field gig? Sad. God knows I don't care for it with either of those teams, but at least they're original.'

With Maryland, it's like the old guy hanging out at the teenager's party, thinking he fits in and getting all the slang wrong.

If they go through with this, well then this is precisely why we can't have nice things.

I said it a dozen pages back, but I don't mind repeating myself... Maryland is a complete embarrasment. First try to steal Oregon's whole "uniforms so ugly, they must be cool" thing, then steal Boise's lame colored field gig? Sad. God knows I don't care for it with either of those teams, but at least they're original.'

With Maryland, it's like the old guy hanging out at the teenager's party, thinking he fits in and getting all the slang wrong.

Just because you all want to see football played in plain uniforms with no color or design on a plain field with nothing special about it doesn't mean you have to hate every single new or innovative uniform or field design. You also have to remember that they are trying to appeal to a 17 year old recruit not a 45 year old fan.

Just because you all want to see football played in plain uniforms with no color or design on a plain field with nothing special about it doesn't mean you have to hate every single new or innovative uniform or field design. You also have to remember that they are trying to appeal to a 17 year old recruit not a 45 year old fan.

He's right about Maryland, though. They just give off a feeling that they're trying too hard to fit in. Oregon has modern uniforms with a bunch of combinations? Marlyand does the same thing. Boise State is famous for their blue field? Maryland puts in a new black field. Instead of making their mark and appealing to recruits by doing something unique, their just taking the unique aspects of other teams and trying to make them their own.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Yeah, that's exactly what I said. :rolleyes: Excellent reading skills.

... You also have to remember that they are trying to appeal to a 17 year old recruit not a 45 year old fan.

Appealing to 17-year olds is often a recipe for the awful, because their sense of taste is, on the whole, immature.

FsQiF2W.png

... You also have to remember that they are trying to appeal to a 17 year old recruit not a 45 year old fan.

Appealing to 17-year olds is often a recipe for the awful, because their sense of taste is, on the whole, immature.

On the whole, you're probably right. But to be fair I am of the age they're supposedly appealing to, and I play football, and some of my friends are being recruited and we talk about these god awful uniforms/fields and we all think it's dumb. But at the same time, I'm not someone who thinks everyone should wear a plain colored jersey and white numbers with white pants or anything. I love some of Oregon's combos and most of Oklahoma State and Washington State's.

You're completely missing the point. You don't matter and never will. You're not a blue chip prospect that will help a coach keep his lush job, the immature kid who likes ugly uniforms will. For the people who are above 24 and no longer have any NCAA eligibility left, you mean nothing to a university or school. I don't care how much money you give to the school, the kid who can run a 4.4-40 has more power than you do.

You're completely missing the point. You don't matter and never will. You're not a blue chip prospect that will help a coach keep his lush job, the immature kid who likes ugly uniforms will. For the people who are above 24 and no longer have any NCAA eligibility left, you mean nothing to a university or school. I don't care how much money you give to the school, the kid who can run a 4.4-40 has more power than you do.

And maybe you missed his point. He didn't say he thought his opinion should matter. He didn't say universities should stop catering to their tastes. He said their tastes are immature.

Hard to argue with that.

That's why Bobby Petrino is still at Arkansas. His players lobbied for him and won, right? Or did the donors matter just a little bit...?

Think about it. It's tough to recruit blue chip prospects when donors aren't paying for your recruiting trips.

Money wins.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

That's why Bobby Petrino is still at Arkansas. His players lobbied for him and won, right? Or did the donors matter just a little bit...?

Think about it. It's tough to recruit blue chip prospects when donors aren't paying for your recruiting trips.

Money wins.

Am I missing something here?

Well, considering the transfer epidemic they had this past offseason and the almost catastrophe that was their recruiting class this season, firing Randy Edsall might be a more productive way to achieve that goal than casting aside what little dignity you as a program have left.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Money wins.

Am I missing something here?

He was being sarcastic.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

While it's true that recruiting is influencing a lot of these uniforms, saying anyone over the age of 24 doesn't matter is ridiculous. Remember that Oregon who is leading the uniform craze had their gear supplied by one of if not their highest donor. If T. Boone Pickens said he needed to see Ok state in traditional uniforms you'd see them in what he wanted.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

If T. Boone Pickens said he needed to see Ok state in traditional uniforms you'd see them in what he wanted.

Dang, you beat me to playing the Pickens card.... If big money boosters put in a request, you can bet that the school will honor it if the booster is loaded enough...

AU-USU-Scoreboard.gif

Hmm, you've given me a great idea.

1. Make lots of money.

2. Become an Oregon booster.

3. Out-booster Phil Knight.

4. ???

5. Traditional uniform profit!

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

On the whole, you're probably right. But to be fair I am of the age they're supposedly appealing to, and I play football, and some of my friends are being recruited and we talk about these god awful uniforms/fields and we all think it's dumb. But at the same time, I'm not someone who thinks everyone should wear a plain colored jersey and white numbers with white pants or anything. I love some of Oregon's combos and most of Oklahoma State and Washington State's.

I don't think everyone should look like Penn State and Oklahoma either. I like a variety of uniforms designs from the traditional to the eccentric. I also like some of the looks Oregon, Oklahoma State and WSU have. I have one son playing college football right now and another being recruited to play as he enters his senior year and, like you and your friends, they think most of the stuff that foments such vigorous debate here is ridiculous. My point is that someone has to be the adult and uniform choice is a good place to exercise that.

FsQiF2W.png

Hmm, you've given me a great idea.

1. Make lots of money.

2. Become an Oregon booster.

3. Out-booster Phil Knight.

4. ???

5. Traditional uniform profit!

4. Stick with a clearly-defined uniform aestethic.

4½ . Come up with a BS explanation for how the players can benefit from the new, more traditional uniforms.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Archived