2012 NCAA Football thread

Kevin W.

Notre Dame's been knocked off their pedestal for twenty-four years. One championship season in almost a quarter of a century won't kill you Mr. Contrarian.

Besides we'd never hear the end of it from you if the NCG was between, say, Florida and Alabama. Seeing your reaction to ND's return to prominence makes it clear, though, that the SEC isn't the problem. Given how long ND has been away from the spotlight they should be a team you'd want to win, because as far as "recent" NCAA football goes (the last twenty years or so) they're the outsiders, the underdogs.

It's clear though that anything short of a TCU/Boise State NCG would probably have you ranting about the "blue bloods."

Nice strawmen, but really, I'm just sick of the yearly SEC and Notre Dame lovefest. Even when ND sucks, they're ranked in preseason over deserving teams.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Notre Dame's been knocked off their pedestal for twenty-four years. One championship season in almost a quarter of a century won't kill you Mr. Contrarian.

Besides we'd never hear the end of it from you if the NCG was between, say, Florida and Alabama. Seeing your reaction to ND's return to prominence makes it clear, though, that the SEC isn't the problem. Given how long ND has been away from the spotlight they should be a team you'd want to win, because as far as "recent" NCAA football goes (the last twenty years or so) they're the outsiders, the underdogs.

It's clear though that anything short of a TCU/Boise State NCG would probably have you ranting about the "blue bloods."

Nice strawmen, but really, I'm just sick of the yearly SEC and Notre Dame lovefest. Even when ND sucks, they're ranked in preseason over deserving teams.

Notre Dame was unranked in the preseason AP poll this year.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Notre Dame was unranked in the preseason AP poll this year.

they received 86 votes and were 26th. (they were 24th in the coach's poll

spacer.png

Nice strawmen...

Not really, but ok.

How many times does someone have to say the AP Top 25, is just to get people riled up, and gives them someone to talk about? Virginia Tech has been a Top 25 AP Preseason team for what seems like 5000 years, yet no one complains about them, and they underachieve more than anyone. Though 20 straight bowl games is something to be proud of. No major school can lay claim to that.

Notre Dame deserves to be in the NCG, and same goes for Alabama or Georgia. All three have earned their spot to be here. It just so happens to be the SEC has been kicking everyone's ass for the last 7 years, deal with it. We were hearing this when USC was on top in the early 2000's, what about Nebraska, Florida, Florida State of the BCS 90's. Each era has had their dominant schools, it's just how College Football works. Perennial power houses for the last 60 years always rise to the top. Notre Dame, Alabama, Georgia all of had their time in the sun, and it's happening again (SEC for the majority of the last 15 years).

So because the worldwide leader thinks it's good to talk about the SEC or Notre Dame, they'll do it. I hate ESPN, but they're number one for a reason. Yes, by milking the hell out of the SEC, or Notre Dame or Texas or USC or Ohio State. They're relevant, they're traditionally good, they're always in the news with something good or bad. We have some smart College Football fans here, spanning the entire country. Yeah it sucks that we'll never get to see a MAC school or a Mountain West school get a chance, because they won't, not even in the new playoff system. One day maybe, but nothing over the history of time save for BYU in the 80's or Army/Navy way back can show that a smaller Football school can win a National Title or get a chance. Boise State I don't even consider them a small school, because they've won a couple big games, same goes with TCU and Utah who are now, apart of big conferences.

Also, what's stopping Boise State from going to the Big 12? Big East isn't a very fun place, and with AQ going away (or is it?), seems kinda pointless.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Sorry but Notre Dame deserves to be in the Championship. They beat what 4 ranked teams? and are undefeated. Being unranked at the beginning of the year and having a national following makes them deserving of all the attention.

Top 25 is all that matters.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Or rather, it doesn't matter. Preseason polls and BCS rankings before the final week are all the same - meaningless due to the fact that they are based on an unfinished season. Sometimes I think they exist purely just to give people something to talk about at the water cooler.

How many times does someone have to say the AP Top 25, is just to get people riled up, and gives them someone to talk about? Virginia Tech has been a Top 25 AP Preseason team for what seems like 5000 years, yet no one complains about them, and they underachieve more than anyone. Though 20 straight bowl games is something to be proud of. No major school can lay claim to that.

Notre Dame deserves to be in the NCG, and same goes for Alabama or Georgia. All three have earned their spot to be here. It just so happens to be the SEC has been kicking everyone's ass for the last 7 years, deal with it. We were hearing this when USC was on top in the early 2000's, what about Nebraska, Florida, Florida State of the BCS 90's. Each era has had their dominant schools, it's just how College Football works. Perennial power houses for the last 60 years always rise to the top. Notre Dame, Alabama, Georgia all of had their time in the sun, and it's happening again (SEC for the majority of the last 15 years).

So because the worldwide leader thinks it's good to talk about the SEC or Notre Dame, they'll do it. I hate ESPN, but they're number one for a reason. Yes, by milking the hell out of the SEC, or Notre Dame or Texas or USC or Ohio State. They're relevant, they're traditionally good, they're always in the news with something good or bad. We have some smart College Football fans here, spanning the entire country. Yeah it sucks that we'll never get to see a MAC school or a Mountain West school get a chance, because they won't, not even in the new playoff system. One day maybe, but nothing over the history of time save for BYU in the 80's or Army/Navy way back can show that a smaller Football school can win a National Title or get a chance. Boise State I don't even consider them a small school, because they've won a couple big games, same goes with TCU and Utah who are now, apart of big conferences.

Also, what's stopping Boise State from going to the Big 12? Big East isn't a very fun place, and with AQ going away (or is it?), seems kinda pointless.

I would like to Boise go to the Big XII, the Big East is a joke

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

It's fun when historically significant teams with a substantial legacy are good again.

It's more fun when historically-significant teams with massive egos and entitlement complexes are knocked off their pedestal for a good long while. And even more fun was the schadenfreude of reading NDNation's meltdowns over losses to the likes of Navy and Tulsa. Too bad Notre Dame had to stop sucking for at least this year.

I'm with my podcast partner on this one. It's good to have ND back in the picture - if for no other reason than the Irish guaranteed that there won't be another all SEC title game this year.

I'm actually going to agree with Lights Out here. It's boring seeing teams like Alabama and Oklahoma go to the title game every year. I dislike historically successful teams for the same reason I dislike the Yankees: they win too much, and it makes everything too predictable.

Put yourself in a 5-star recruit's position.

You're highly coveted by every school, and you basically can pick where you want to play....EXCEPT for the one school you've rooted for all your life. Let's say you're going to be redshirted your true-freshman season, and let's say the NFL now requires you to actually play four seasons before you can be drafted....so you're going to one college for 5 years. (And let's assume no outside "football circumstances" allow you to transfer to another school.)

Are you going to live through 5 Boise winters with a program with lower ceilings, or are you going to choose a place like Los Angeles, Austin, Baton Rouge, Athens, etc. with higher ceilings and more temperate climates?

The Big XII didn't want Boise State, even in their most desperate times. The Big XII will either have schools taken from them or will expand with schools that add value to the conference. Florida State does that....Clemson does that.....Boise State not so much. Boise, ID doesn't add much value to any conference unless they're really really desperate (Big East) or really really unimportant (WAC, Mountain West).

Sorry but Notre Dame deserves to be in the Championship. They beat what 4 ranked teams? and are undefeated. Being unranked at the beginning of the year and having a national following makes them deserving of all the attention.

They've beaten 3. Michigan State doesn't count.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Big XII didn't want Boise State, even in their most desperate times. The Big XII will either have schools taken from them or will expand with schools that add value to the conference. Florida State does that....Clemson does that.....Boise State not so much. Boise, ID doesn't add much value to any conference unless they're really really desperate (Big East) or really really unimportant (WAC, Mountain West).

Not to get on too big of a tangent, but I believe that once-Mountain West schools like Boise State, BYU, and San Diego State are at least considering re-joining the conference:

http://sports.yahoo....168--ncaaf.html

I don't know how true or serious such talks are, but it might be the most reasonable shot for those schools than, say, joining the Big East (or the Big 12, in BYU's and Boise State's case). It also makes a ton more geographic sense.

I also won't mind BYU and Utah State becoming conference rivals. :D

Or rather, it doesn't matter. Preseason polls and BCS rankings before the final week are all the same - meaningless due to the fact that they are based on an unfinished season. Sometimes I think they exist purely just to give people something to talk about at the water cooler.

i wouldn't say meaningless. and yes it doesn't matter if your 26th if your top 25 you are good.

spacer.png

Also, what's stopping Boise State from going to the Big 12?

Lack of an invite, although they have been mentioned along with BYU and Louisville as expansion possibilities.

Louisville is also getting a tug from the ACC. So they probably have a back up school.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

How many Alabama kids were made to fall fifty feet to their death for the greater good of football?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's fun when historically significant teams with a substantial legacy are good again.

It's more fun when historically-significant teams with massive egos and entitlement complexes are knocked off their pedestal for a good long while. And even more fun was the schadenfreude of reading NDNation's meltdowns over losses to the likes of Navy and Tulsa. Too bad Notre Dame had to stop sucking for at least this year.

I'm with my podcast partner on this one. It's good to have ND back in the picture - if for no other reason than the Irish guaranteed that there won't be another all SEC title game this year.

I'm actually going to agree with Lights Out here. It's boring seeing teams like Alabama and Oklahoma go to the title game every year. I dislike historically successful teams for the same reason I dislike the Yankees: they win too much, and it makes everything too predictable.

Put yourself in a 5-star recruit's position.

You're highly coveted by every school, and you basically can pick where you want to play....EXCEPT for the one school you've rooted for all your life. Let's say you're going to be redshirted your true-freshman season, and let's say the NFL now requires you to actually play four seasons before you can be drafted....so you're going to one college for 5 years. (And let's assume no outside "football circumstances" allow you to transfer to another school.)

Are you going to live through 5 Boise winters with a program with lower ceilings, or are you going to choose a place like Los Angeles, Austin, Baton Rouge, Athens, etc. with higher ceilings and more temperate climates?

That has nothing to do with what I was saying. I know WHY those programs are always so good, I just gets boring seeing them win all the time.

I don't see how Notre Dame being good is good for football though.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

It's a personal preference, apparently.

Personally, I think it's neat that Notre Dame is relevant again. I'm old enough to remember when it was a huge deal to beat Notre Dame, so to have that again in college football is a good thing.

Because anything is preferable to the SEC love-fest that has been the media over the past few years. Yeah, they'll be insufferable about Notre Dame if the Irish win but it's the lesser of two evils. I'm sick and tired of hearing about how the SEC is Jesus Christ reincarnated in athletic conference form.

Archived