2012 NCAA Football thread

Kevin W.

So it looks like Oklahoma is also going to somehow go to a BCS bowl... if they get past TCU. If they don't, then I don't know who the hell is going to be that 4th at large team.

Assuming Oklahoma loses to TCU

In terms of teams that can actually go to a BCS bowl (without being a automatic bid, or not being able to get in because their conference has 2 teams in BCS games

11.Clemson screwed up any chance they had at a BCS bowl by losing today.

16.Texas lost to TCU, and aren't going unless they beat Kansas State (in which they might have a shot)

19.Michigan is going to drop out

20.Louisville isn't even going to be ranked after this week

21.Oklahoma State lost to Oklahoma today

That leaves Boise State as the only team that is going to be eligible to play in a BCS bowl... unless Kent State jumps them, which they probably will if they win the MAC. It is a very real possibility that Kent State will be the 4th at large team for a BCS game. Hold on to your hats folks, things are about to get crazy.

Remember a Virginia Tech team that was smoked last year in the ACC Championship still got a BCS invite.

Clemson isn't playing in the ACC championship game. And Kent State only needs to crack the top 16 in order to go to a BCS bowl, which is very possible.

All I'm really saying is that teams that probably don't deserve BCS invites get BCS invites.

Notre Dame took one of the ten invites. Down to nine.

It seems the SEC will take two. One BCS title game and one other. Down to seven.

The other AQ conferences (BE, B1G, Pac-12, ACC, BigXII) will take five others. Down to two.

Pac-12 will get a second team in Oregon (BCS top 4 from a AQ conference condition especially if UGa loses; Bama may be a tossup). That leaves one available to OU/K-State, or even Stanford, Clemson.

Boise still must beat Nevada on Dec. 1 plus still have to get up to top 16 with a Nebraska loss or top 18-22, but there wil be AQ teams who will be eligible.

Well crap, I counted wrong. Yeah, the 4 bids are going to be Oregon, Florida, Kansas State, and Notre Dame. Though, Kent State could still take a BCS spot if Kansas State and Oklahoma lose, and they finish in the top 16. Unlikely, but possible.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Notre Dame is writing quite the story if they beat Bama this will be a team for the ages.

First off, you should credit Brett Musburger for that line you ripped from him.

Next, how can this team be "one for the ages" when the Irish WILL go into the Nat'l Championship Game as the underdog?

By being an underdog coming out of nowhere and winning some of the closest games all year on defense to win the Nat'l Championship

Meta-narratives and "stories" are bad and you should feel bad for pushing them.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I can't argue with the record, but I've had it with the cuddly "who couldn't love Notre Dame" nonsense. I know the networks love it. I don't.

It's fun when historically significant teams with a substantial legacy are good again. I'm a fan of it. I'll be rooting for them come the NCG.

Well crap, I counted wrong. Yeah, the 4 bids are going to be Oregon, Florida, Kansas State, and Notre Dame. Though, Kent State could still take a BCS spot if Kansas State and Oklahoma lose, and they finish in the top 16. Unlikely, but possible.

In all truth, Florida should only get a BCS spot if Alabama loses to Georgia.

Florida has no case for a BCS spot if it comes down to them and Georgia.

spacer.png

In all truth, Florida should only get a BCS spot if Alabama loses to Georgia.

Florida has no case for a BCS spot if it comes down to them and Georgia.

*Florida cites example of 2007 Kansas getting an Orange Bowl bid over Missouri*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So it looks like Oklahoma is also going to somehow go to a BCS bowl... if they get past TCU. If they don't, then I don't know who the hell is going to be that 4th at large team.

In terms of teams that can actually go to a BCS bowl (without being a automatic bid, or not being able to get in because their conference has 2 teams in BCS games

16.Texas lost to TCU, and aren't going unless they beat Kansas State (in which they might have a shot)

That leaves Boise State as the only team that is going to be eligible to play in a BCS bowl... unless Kent State jumps them, which they probably will if they win the MAC. It is a very real possibility that Kent State will be the 4th at large team for a BCS game. Hold on to your hats folks, things are about to get crazy.

Remember a Virginia Tech team that was smoked last year in the ACC Championship still got a BCS invite.

Clemson isn't playing in the ACC championship game. And Kent State only needs to crack the top 16 in order to go to a BCS bowl, which is very possible.

All I'm really saying is that teams that probably don't deserve BCS invites get BCS invites.

It seems the SEC will take two. One BCS title game and one other. Down to seven.

The other AQ conferences (BE, B1G, Pac-12, ACC, BigXII) will take five others. Down to two.

Pac-12 will get a second team in Oregon (BCS top 4 from a AQ conference condition especially if UGa loses; Bama may be a tossup). That leaves one available to OU/K-State, or even Stanford, Clemson.

Boise still must beat Nevada on Dec. 1 plus still have to get up to top 16 with a Nebraska loss or top 18-22, but there wil be AQ teams who will be eligible.

Wait, no I didn't count wrong. Kansas State is going to be the Automatic Bid for the Big 12 (most likely). So there's one spot left still.

Kent State is 18th in the AP poll.

Northern Illinois is 19th.

I'm gonna say that the winner of that game goes to a BCS bowl.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Wait, no I didn't count wrong. Kansas State is going to be the Automatic Bid for the Big 12 (most likely). So there's one spot left still.

AP rankings don't mean $hit to the BCS. The last BCS poll did not have NIU in the 25 and Kent State was there due to their win at Rutgers, which does not look as good seven days later.

AP rankings don't mean $hit to the BCS. The last BCS poll did not have NIU in the 25 and Kent State was there due to their win at Rutgers, which does not look as good seven days later.

Well the Harris Poll does, and in that poll, Kent State is 18th, and Northern Illinois is 19th.

I'm game. I'll take the "Over". Raise the stakes.

It was more of an exaggeration/joke on how Georgia has under preformed since 2005.

2006: Pre season 15, finished 23

2008: pre season 1, finished 13

2009: pre season 13, finished unranked

2010: pre season 23, finished unranked with a losing record

I'll take the over. How much you want to put on it?

Crowell isn't the be-all for Georgia's offense, anyway. If anything, Georgia's deeper at RB than they've been in years past, so losing Crowell won't hurt too much.

Send me my money.

I'm game. I'll take the "Over". Raise the stakes.

It was more of an exaggeration/joke on how Georgia has under preformed since 2005.

2006: Pre season 15, finished 23

2008: pre season 1, finished 13

2009: pre season 13, finished unranked

2010: pre season 23, finished unranked with a losing record

I'll take the over. How much you want to put on it?

Crowell isn't the be-all for Georgia's offense, anyway. If anything, Georgia's deeper at RB than they've been in years past, so losing Crowell won't hurt too much.

Send me my money.

We never made a deal :P

But yeah, georgia Surprised me. I will admit that I was horribly wrong about them being overrated.

I'm at a loss for words. If you would've told me sitting in South Bend five years ago watching a 1-8 ND team lose to Air Force that I'd be seeing this today, I'd have told you that you were insane.

/Everyone who's saying it'll be a blowout in the NCG... did you predict the same thing for the Oklahoma game, too? Or...? ND doesn't win sexy guys, if you haven't noticed.

Notre Dame doesn't play that good of teams either and you're more than likely facing Nick Saban after he had 6 weeks to prepare for you. You're going to need to blindfold touchdown Jesus and put Lou Holthz in a sensory deprivation chamber for all of January because the beatdown is going to be so brutal.

Alright, rams. How about a sig/avatar bet, then? If Bama/UGA wins by 3+ touchdowns, you get to choose something for me for some period of time, if ND wins, I get to choose something for you for some period of time.

I'll take part of this, and I won't even offer a counter in return. If Notre Dame wins convincingly (2 TDs or more), ill change my name from Bucfan56 to Touchdown Jesus.

Yeah remember that bet you lost :P

It's fun when historically significant teams with a substantial legacy are good again.

It's more fun when historically-significant teams with massive egos and entitlement complexes are knocked off their pedestal for a good long while. And even more fun was the schadenfreude of reading NDNation's meltdowns over losses to the likes of Navy and Tulsa. Too bad Notre Dame had to stop sucking for at least this year.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

It's fun when historically significant teams with a substantial legacy are good again.

It's more fun when historically-significant teams with massive egos and entitlement complexes are knocked off their pedestal for a good long while. And even more fun was the schadenfreude of reading NDNation's meltdowns over losses to the likes of Navy and Tulsa. Too bad Notre Dame had to stop sucking for at least this year.

I'm with my podcast partner on this one. It's good to have ND back in the picture - if for no other reason than the Irish guaranteed that there won't be another all SEC title game this year.

BB52Big.jpg

So then you should be happy if Notre Dame ends the SEC's streak.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I'm with my podcast partner on this one. It's good to have ND back in the picture - if for no other reason than the Irish guaranteed that there won't be another all SEC title game this year.

I'm actually going to agree with Lights Out here. It's boring seeing teams like Alabama and Oklahoma go to the title game every year. I dislike historically successful teams for the same reason I dislike the Yankees: they win too much, and it makes everything too predictable.

So then you should be happy if Notre Dame ends the SEC's streak.

It's a lose/lose situation, to be honest. Either way, we're going to have an offseason full of obnoxious slurping courtesy of the national media... either it'll be "TEAM JESUS IS BACK, RESTORING HONOR AND TRADISHUN TO COLLEGE FOOTBAWWW" or "ESS EEE SEE STILL THEM THAR BEST COMP'FRUNCE".

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Exactly 'red. There's no hard and fast rule when it comes to this stuff, but I find the NFL fun when the Packers, Giants, and 49ers are good, the NHL fun when the Canadiens and Maple Leafs are actually relevant to the proceedings, and the NBA fun when the Celtics and Bulls are good. Heck, as much as we're all tired of Yankees/Red Sox I'd be lying if I said I found the 2004 ALCS to be tired and boring. That was a fantastic series in its own right, and made even better by the fact that the two teams in it were two "legacy" teams that had a legitimate history of rivalry. So yeah, it's fun to see Notre Dame good again.

Now of course it would be boring to see these teams dominate their sports every year, but it's still fun to see them re-emerge to prominence, if only for a little while, after years lost in the wilderness. Like the Argos winning the 100th Grey Cup something about Notre Dame in the NCG just feels "right."

Notre Dame's been knocked off their pedestal for twenty-four years. One championship season in almost a quarter of a century won't kill you Mr. Contrarian.

Besides we'd never hear the end of it from you if the NCG was between, say, Florida and Alabama. Seeing your reaction to ND's return to prominence makes it clear, though, that the SEC isn't the problem. Given how long ND has been away from the spotlight they should be a team you'd want to win, because as far as "recent" NCAA football goes (the last twenty years or so) they're the outsiders, the underdogs.

It's clear though that anything short of a TCU/Boise State NCG would probably have you ranting about the "blue bloods."

Even though Utah State had one of, if not their best, season ever, I'd never thought they'd be nationally ranked. Granted, they're #24, but if anyone that told you 5 years ago that Aggie football would be ranked now, they'd be laughed out of the building and off of campus. It's also crazy that USU was only maybe 2-3 field goals away from being undefeated. It's been an awesome year.

I don't like a team that cloaks itself in religion and higher morals while letting a kid die to tape a football practice and institutionally covering up a rape-suicide. One good season every 25 years is still too many.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived