2012 NCAA Football thread

Kevin W.

They had a 12 win team, two 11 win teams, and three 10 win teams. Can you deny their legitimacy?

I would just wish worthier teams than Wisky or NIU were in that field. Such as Oklahoma and South Carolina.

Sure I can. The aforementioned teams really didn't play each other cross divisions. Classic SEC non-conference scheduling gives you 3-4 guaranteed wins right there if you're competent, and 4 wins in division play in you are decent. If your worst-case scenario is 7-8 wins, how much credit should you really get for 10?

Again, the Big XII was pound for pound the toughest Conference in the land this season. The only problem is that the round robin pretty much guarantees the Big XII 6th place team will have 4-5 league losses while the 6th place SEC team could have only 2 with a few scheduling breaks. And because people are lazy, they don't do that kind of thinking or basic analysis and just assume the SEC is awesome.

Nice try, but no.

First off, your first cry against the SEC is non-conference scheduling. Okay, show me a team in the Big 12 that is just lining up strong non-conference opponents left and right...and then I will show you the reality that they play 3 weak opponents and then their conference lineup. So many of you act like these other conferences are just playing 3 juggernauts plus their conference. Everyone plays a soft OOC schedule in general, quit complaining about it.

Second, the whole setup the Big 12 has now with scheduling is new. Up until last year, they played 5 division games plus 3 across divisions for a total of 8 games. Oh wow- that is so crazy, the SEC teams played that many this year too! 6 in your division and 2 across. Now the Big 12 is only down to 10 teams and the poor guys have to play one extra game...yet somehow in your math, that guarantees a team 4-5 losses every year. No.

Third, notice this year that all of the SEC teams in the Top 10 of the BCS only have losses to each other. When 2 or 3 teams are serving out most of the losses, it usually provide the results you referred to above. It's a little different this year and unique. Look at past season standings in the SEC...multiple 1 loss and 2 loss teams were not the norm.

You're right. The Big 12 has not played tougher schedules than the SEC. But the Pac-12 has. By a lot.

Arizona played 9-3 Toldeo, and 7-5 Oklahoma State.

Arizona State played @Missouri.

California played 7-5 Nevada and @ Ohio State.

Colorado played @9-3 Fresno State

Oregon played 9-3 Arkansas State, and 9-3 Fresno State

Oregon State played Wisconsin and @ BYU.

Stanford played 10-2 San Jose State, 6-6 Duke, and @ Notre Dame.

UCLA played @ 6-6 Rice, and Nebraska.

USC played @7-5 Syracuse, and Notre Dame.

Utah played @10-2 Utah State and BYU.

Washington played 9-3 San Diego State and LSU.

Washington State played @BYU.

Arizona State is the only Pac-12 school who did not play a team with at least 7 wins, and they played 2 BCS schools.

THAT is challenging yourself outside of conference. THAT is what a conference SHOULD be doing.

That's 10 ranked OOC opponents, and they played 3 non conference games instead of 4, and this conference has 2 less schools. And three of those ranked OOC games from the SEC are rivalry games that are played every year. Those don't count as challenging yourself.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They had a 12 win team, two 11 win teams, and three 10 win teams. Can you deny their legitimacy?

I would just wish worthier teams than Wisky or NIU were in that field. Such as Oklahoma and South Carolina.

Sure I can. The aforementioned teams really didn't play each other cross divisions. Classic SEC non-conference scheduling gives you 3-4 guaranteed wins right there if you're competent, and 4 wins in division play in you are decent. If your worst-case scenario is 7-8 wins, how much credit should you really get for 10?

Again, the Big XII was pound for pound the toughest Conference in the land this season. The only problem is that the round robin pretty much guarantees the Big XII 6th place team will have 4-5 league losses while the 6th place SEC team could have only 2 with a few scheduling breaks. And because people are lazy, they don't do that kind of thinking or basic analysis and just assume the SEC is awesome.

Nice try, but no.

First off, your first cry against the SEC is non-conference scheduling. Okay, show me a team in the Big 12 that is just lining up strong non-conference opponents left and right...and then I will show you the reality that they play 3 weak opponents and then their conference lineup. So many of you act like these other conferences are just playing 3 juggernauts plus their conference. Everyone plays a soft OOC schedule in general, quit complaining about it.

Second, the whole setup the Big 12 has now with scheduling is new. Up until last year, they played 5 division games plus 3 across divisions for a total of 8 games. Oh wow- that is so crazy, the SEC teams played that many this year too! 6 in your division and 2 across. Now the Big 12 is only down to 10 teams and the poor guys have to play one extra game...yet somehow in your math, that guarantees a team 4-5 losses every year. No.

Third, notice this year that all of the SEC teams in the Top 10 of the BCS only have losses to each other. When 2 or 3 teams are serving out most of the losses, it usually provide the results you referred to above. It's a little different this year and unique. Look at past season standings in the SEC...multiple 1 loss and 2 loss teams were not the norm.

You're right. The Big 12 has not played tougher schedules than the SEC. But the Pac-12 has. By a lot.

Arizona State is the only Pac-12 school who did not play a team with at least 7 wins, and they played 2 BCS schools.

THAT is challenging yourself outside of conference. THAT is what a conference SHOULD be doing.

That's 10 ranked OOC opponents, and they played 3 non conference games instead of 4, and this conference has 2 less schools. And three of those ranked OOC games from the SEC are rivalry games that are played every year. Those don't count as challenging yourself.

That is such a wussy excuse. They most certainly count and are often times more unpredictable and difficult than any ranking system can calculate. "They don't count as challenging yourself." What kind of screwed up alternate football universe are you people living in?

Also, help me out with your counting. You said that was 10 ranked OOC opponents. I see 6? San Jose State, Utah State, Notre Dame, Nebraska, LSU and Ohio State.

However, since I have to soften up my statistics for you crybabies- I will remove the 3 that "aren't challenging themselves." That is 7 for the SEC and 6 for the Pac-12.

But the Pac-12 isn't the only one. Let's look at the ACC.

Boston College played @Northwestern, and Notre Dame.

Clemson played 9-3 Ball State and South Carolina.

Duke played @ Stanford.

Florida State played Florida.

Georgia Tech played 8-4 Middle Tennessee State, BYU and @Georgia.

Maryland played @West Virginia.

Miami played @Kansas State, and Notre Dame.

NC State played Tennessee.

North Carolina played @Louisville, and 8-4 East Carolina.

Virginia played Penn State, @TCU, and Louisiana Tech.

Virginia Tech played @Pittsburgh, 8-4 Bowling Green, and Cincinnati.

Wake Forest played @Notre Dame, and Vanderbilt.

That's 15 ranked teams.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Nice try, but no.

That is such a wussy excuse. They most certainly count and are often times more unpredictable and difficult than any ranking system can calculate. "They don't count as challenging yourself." What kind of screwed up alternate football universe are you people living in?

Also, help me out with your counting. You said that was 10 ranked OOC opponents. I see 6? San Jose State, Utah State, Notre Dame, Nebraska, LSU and Ohio State.

However, since I have to soften up my statistics for you crybabies- I will remove the 3 that "aren't challenging themselves." That is 7 for the SEC and 6 for the Pac-12.

BYU, Wisconsin, Nevada, and Oklahoma State have all been ranked this season. And if you remove the 3 that "don't count', that would be 10 for the Pac-12 and 4 for the SEC. 7-3=4 not 7.

And they don't count because they HAVE To play them. That isn't challenging yourself.

But the Pac-12 isn't the only one. Let's look at the ACC.

Boston College played @Northwestern, and Notre Dame.

Clemson played 9-3 Ball State and South Carolina.

Duke played @ Stanford.

Florida State played Florida.

Georgia Tech played 8-4 Middle Tennessee State, BYU and @Georgia.

Maryland played @West Virginia.

Miami played @Kansas State, and Notre Dame.

NC State played Tennessee.

North Carolina played @Louisville, and 8-4 East Carolina.

Virginia played Penn State, @TCU, and Louisiana Tech.

Virginia Tech played @Pittsburgh, 8-4 Bowling Green, and Cincinnati.

Wake Forest played @Notre Dame, and Vanderbilt.

That's 15 ranked teams.

Again, that is 8. How well did you do in math? 3 of those were to SEC schools. That isn't challenging themselves, so we probably shouldn't count it.

So we are including teams ranked at any point in the season, like a 4-8 Arkansas team, to determine strength?

I give up.

You included Lousiana Tech in your original post. They aren't ranked right now, so I decided to do the same.

Nice try, but no.

1. You missed the part of the program where I also mentioned the guaranteed division play wins. A decent SEC team might play some (not all) of the heavy hitters in Conference play, but they also get to play about the same number of games against the Kentuckys, Missouris, Mississippis, and whoever else is having a really bad year in league play. Sure Crackalacky played LSU, Florida, and Georgia this season. They also played Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee, and Arkansas. That's a real murderers row right there.

2. And please note how the Big XII went from routinely getting 2 BCS bids to only the autobid since they went to the 9 game schedule. It doesn't guarantee EVERY team 4-5 losses a year. It just guarantees that there will be fewer 0-2 loss teams in the league per year compared to the SEC because unlike the SEC, the Big Guys cannot duck each other or all of the decent teams, and that they are going to have to divvy out 5 more losses around the league than they would under an 8 game Conference schedule. Additionally, the 6-1-1 makes it even easier for the big guy SEC schools to duck each other, just through sheer probability; further inflating records.

There's some charts here that illustrate the impact the SEC's Conference scheduling practices have on their records compared to the Big XII

3. Kind of touched on in the link at 2. By adding A&M and Missouri and going to the 6-1-1 format, the SEC reduced the number of cross division encounters and the chances of regular season matches between good (record-wise,anyway) teams. Multiple 1 and 2 loss teams per division is going to be the new normal for the SEC-and the schedule is a big part of it.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Speaking of Louisiana Tech, how weird is it that they declined their invite to the Independence Bowl? No other bowls extended an invite and they won't be playing in any bowl game this year despite being eligible.

They didn't want to face Louisiana Monroe or something like that so instead the Independence Bowl will be ULM v. Ohio U.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Speaking of Louisiana Tech, how weird is it that they declined their invite to the Independence Bowl? No other bowls extended an invite and they won't be playing in any bowl game this year despite being eligible.

They didn't want to face Louisiana Monroe or something like that so instead the Independence Bowl will be ULM v. Ohio U.

I don't blame them for 1. Not wanting to play a second game this season just down the road in Shreveport. 2. Not wanting to play a school just down the road of them that will play in a lesser Conference than them for the immediate future. 3. Getting pissed that the goddamn Liberty Bowl took a 6-6 Iowa State team over them. Actually, we should all be pissed about 3.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

+1 besides Florida's rivalry game against fsu the only real non conference game the sec played was Alabama vs mich most years its only one y do they keep getting props for lame out of conference games vs fcs sun belt and mac teams?? good thing they play 8 games in conference if they did the 9 they never play a worthy game outta conference!!! they don't leave home for non conference games mostly as well when u have all but one team in bowls(big xii) should that not mean your the better conference??

Only one, huh? While I can't speak for every SEC team, I can speak for LSU and say that's not the case.

2013: TCU

2012: Washington

2011: Oregon and WVU

2010: UNC and WVU

2009: Washington

2007: Virginia Tech

2006: Arizona

2005: ASU

But I mean.. it only happens once, right?

They didn't want to go back to Shreveport and thought there were two other bowls that they had a good chance of getting an invite to. They asked for some time to wait on the Independence Bowl offer, but the Independence Bowl didn't want to get stuck with taking a 6-6 team from across the country if they let La Tech wait it out. Nobody actually gave La Tech a bid, so they missed out on the post-season all together.

It's really unfortunate for all the whole La Tech team, especially the seniors, that they won't be going to a bowl game this year. And I'd say that Sonny Dykes has coached his last game for the Bulldogs. He wasn't too happy about not getting to play in a bowl game this year. Karl Malone also wasn't too happy about his alma mater screwing themselves out of a bowl game and said he should take over as athletic direct.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

+1 besides Florida's rivalry game against fsu the only real non conference game the sec played was Alabama vs mich most years its only one y do they keep getting props for lame out of conference games vs fcs sun belt and mac teams?? good thing they play 8 games in conference if they did the 9 they never play a worthy game outta conference!!! they don't leave home for non conference games mostly as well when u have all but one team in bowls(big xii) should that not mean your the better conference??

Only one, huh? While I can't speak for every SEC team, I can speak for LSU and say that's not the case.

im talking about this year and lets be honest Washington aint all that good that stanford win was a fluke, i think rams80 had it right with the in conference scheduling, play nine games and more then one decent team outside of conference in there place not home or a netural site and dont count the rival games every year and then get back to me, i mean the sec fattens up on cupcakes cause"conference play is sooooooooooo hard"

im talking about this year and lets be honest Washington aint all that good that stanford win was a fluke, i think rams80 had it right with the in conference scheduling, play nine games and more then one decent team outside of conference in there place not home or a netural site and dont count the rival games every year and then get back to me, i mean the sec fattens up on cupcakes cause"conference play is sooooooooooo hard"

They went into West Virginia last year. You want to name any other handicaps to try and make your point?

They went into West Virginia last year. You want to name any other handicaps to try and make your point?

well the ONLY time they truly go on the road i looked at the future schedules they only go on the road out of conference 3 times till 2020 ill give u props they play a few good teams then most sec schools out of conference(florida is by far the worst) but u have 4 non conference games i feel it should be 2 on the road and 2 at home its fair to all fans of all schools. my point im sick of the pay out games big schools need to play little schools on the road.

my point im sick of the pay out games big schools need to play little schools on the road.

It's very simple: they can't handle a game of that size. Accommodating the fans with hotels, restaurants, bars, seating, etc...logistic and practical nightmare.

Show me an AQ school that travels out of conference 2 times a year...much less to a smaller school.

South Carolina is going TO Central Florida next year and that is really pushing it. They have capacity of barely 40,000...we will bring around 15,000. Only reason it makes any sense is for recruiting purposes and it is in Orlando.

We even traveled to play East Carolina this year, but had to play at the Panthers Stadium in Charlotte because ECU's stadium is only around 35,000.

Asking an SEC team to travel to Cullowhee, NC to play Western Carolina...ain't gonna happen.

Show me an AQ school that travels out of conference 2 times a year...much less to a smaller school.

Well, for starters:

Miami went to K-State and Notre Dame this year. Michigan played vs. Alabama at a neutral site and at Notre Dame.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Well, for starters:

Miami went to K-State and Notre Dame this year. Michigan played vs. Alabama at a neutral site and at Notre Dame.

Miami/Notre Dame was at Soldier Field.

Archived