2012 NCAA Football thread

Kevin W.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This probably won't be a blip on most people's radar, but Winston-Salem State has advanced to the Division II Championship Game. Seeing as how HBCUs are usually one and done in the playoffs, it's kind of a big deal.

I beg to differ. I was at that game, and it was a pretty big deal- for the team and the city.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

...and for a small place like Statesboro, those people can party with the best of them.

Cause there isn't jack else to do there.

Isn't that true of a good 80% of college towns?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

First freshman to win the Heisman. Well, no one else in the country really deserved it.

Collin Klein. One bad game when he was injured and his defense decided not to show up doesn't cancel out how great he's been over a sustained period of time (i.e. more than just one year).

The Heisman shouldn't be a career achievement award. It's an annual award for a reason.

The Heisman shouldn't be a career achievement award. It's an annual award for a reason.

I realize that, but regardless, there's a risk in awarding it to freshmen. Regardless of the fact that the Heisman isn't a career award, if Manziel stinks up the joint from here on out, people are always going to think the voters were too quick to jump on the hype train.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I realize that, but regardless, there's a risk in awarding it to freshmen. Regardless of the fact that the Heisman isn't a career award, if Manziel stinks up the joint from here on out, people are always going to think the voters were too quick to jump on the hype train.

There is no risk if you are actually the most outstanding player in the eyes of the voters.

Besides, why still believe in how "important" the honor is just because those who give the honor tell us so. The Heisman is to college football what the Motor Trend Car of the Year is to the automotive industry.

I don't buy that. Even if he sucks from here on out, there's no denying that he deserved it the year he won it.

If it was a career award, Montee Ball would have been in the discussion. It's not a career award. Manziel had the best year of the three finalists. That much is clear.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

First freshman to win the Heisman. Well, no one else in the country really deserved it.

Collin Klein. One bad game when he was injured and his defense decided not to show up doesn't cancel out how great he's been over a sustained period of time (i.e. more than just one year).

Klein shouldn't have even been invited. That spot should've gone to Marque Lee (who I think was actually the best player in college football this year).

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Hell, as long as we're including people who didn't get invited, Geno Smith should have won. 4,004 yards, 40 touchdowns to only 6 INT's. It's not his fault that WVU had an embarrassingly-poor defense.

Geno Smith played mediocre in the games that mattered most.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Johnny "Heisman" played mediocre against Florida and LSU.

He also beat Alabama. Though, you're right, he was not exactly your typical heisman year. But like I said, who else are you going to give it to? Marques Lee was a diva on a 7-5 team. Jordan Lynch played for a MAC team. Ka'Deem Carey got about 20% of his yards in one game. I honestly think that had Georgia beaten Bama, Murray would've won it. He had a fantastic year.

Johnny "Heisman" played mediocre against Florida and LSU.

He also beat Alabama. Though, you're right, he was not exactly your typical heisman year. But like I said, who else are you going to give it to? Marques Lee was a diva on a 7-5 team. Jordan Lynch played for a MAC team. Ka'Deem Carey got about 20% of his yards in one game. I honestly think that had Georgia beaten Bama, Murray would've won it. He had a fantastic year.

Again, give it to the MAC guy or just leave it vacant. Both would be accurate assessments of the state of college football this year.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If Johnny Manziel is a frehsman why is he 20 years old? Wouldn't a freshman be 18 years old?

He's a redshirt freshman.

Archived