2012 NCAA Football thread

Kevin W.

Heh, must've not watched the game yesterday. Getting 350 rushing yards against any defense isn't overrated.

Being considered for Heisman simply because you play for Notre Dame, now that's overrated.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heh, must've not watched the game yesterday. Getting 350 rushing yards against any defense isn't overrated.

Being considered for Heisman simply because you play for Notre Dame, now that's overrated.

So then Oregon getting all of those rushing yards against teams like Tennessee Tech is impressive?

And Manti T'eo is having an amazing year. He deserves the Heisman.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

So then Oregon getting all of those rushing yards against teams like Tennessee Tech is impressive?

And Manti T'eo is having an amazing year. He deserves the Heisman.

How does he deserve the Heisman? JFF has more FF than Te'o. C'mon son. Te'o is good, but not Heisman good.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Please tell me you aren't trying to legitimately compare Tennessee Tech to the #3 team in the nation.

You mean the number three team in the nation that got blasted by South Carolina, had trouble with Georgia Southern's rushing attack, and beat 4 teams with a winning record all year?

Georgia is not a top 10 team.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Please tell me you aren't trying to legitimately compare Tennessee Tech to the #3 team in the nation.

You mean the number three team in the nation that got blasted by South Carolina, had trouble with Georgia Southern's rushing attack, and beat 4 teams with a winning record all year?

Georgia on their worst day could still easily cruise past Tennessee Tech. Let's be real now.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1. Georgia only gave up 14 points to Georgia Southern, and one of those touchdowns was scored when the starters were done for the day.

2. 120 of Georgia Southern's 320 yards were gained in the 4th quarter, when Georgia's defensive starters weren't playing.

3. Georgia used this game as a live scrimmage for defending the triple option, which they would face a week later with better athletes running the same system.

So all of these conference championship games except the SEC are having a hard time selling tickets, right? Here's the problem: they're all meaningless. The game is for who wins the conference, but at this point it just means the champion goes to a bowl game without a purpose. Nebraska and Wisconsin are playing for the Rose Bowl. Sweet. For what reason should Wisconsin and Nebraska get excited about that idea?

Solution: Make a playoff that only conference champions get to play in. No at large berths. The regular season stays meaningful, true meaning is added to each conference title game, and the players will be playing for something more than just a trip to an exhibition game. It's as simple as the belief that if you're not the best from your conference then you shouldn't be eligible for the National Championship (looking at 2011 Alabama). It would be the defacto first round of the tournament.

College football has changed more in the last 2 years than it has in the previous 20 and it's only going to change more. Conferences are realigning, they're using a 4 team playoff next year. Now is the time to add something like this.

This isn't the worst idea in the world. However, you're a baseball fan, and I'm sure you've heard complaints before about the crappy 85 win division champion going to the playoffs, while the excellent 92 win third place team gets rejected. (Actually, you have an annual complaint post about that, but that's not the point.)

My point being - imagine the Big East sending one of their dreckful unranked teams to the BCS playoffs, while a conference as vocal as the SEC would have 11-1 Florida and Georgia, and 10-2 LSU, South Carolina, and Texas A&M ALL rejected? You can even toss in 11-1 Oregon and K-State, 11-2 Stanford, and 11-2 Oklahoma to this mix as well. The criticism would just be overwhelming to an insane degree.

If anything, I prefer a twelve team playoff, and a straight one at that. NFL sends twelve teams, CFB could do the same. Top four get byes, then you have 5/12, 6/11, 7/10, and 8/9. Re-seed beyond this - the math is quite fluid.

Yeah, sorry. Life's not fair. Some conferences are better than others. If you don't win your conference, you don't get to play for the National Championship. Adding at-large teams the playoff would cheapen the regular season.

So all of these conference championship games except the SEC are having a hard time selling tickets, right? Here's the problem: they're all meaningless. The game is for who wins the conference, but at this point it just means the champion goes to a bowl game without a purpose. Nebraska and Wisconsin are playing for the Rose Bowl. Sweet. For what reason should Wisconsin and Nebraska get excited about that idea?

I don't get this at all. How in the hell are they meaningless when you explain WHY it should mean something in the next sentence? To win your conference. To be a champion. That is what you work hard for all season long and to participate in the championship game...well, it should be important. A goal to accomplish. To the players, coaches, and fans.

Even more, the game decides who gets to participate in a BCS bowl...which outside of the NCG, is a huge accomplishment delivering more $ to your program and exposure.

Such a strange thought process. I mean, I know your playoff suggestion is worth looking into and the current system could be improved upon for sure...but to discount what teams are currently playing for within the rules set forth before the season starts; I think it is crazy to say the games are meaningless and use them as an excuse for fans not showing up to the games or caring.

Maybe there IS a huge difference of thinking outside of the Southeast regarding football because you would never hear me or anyone I was raised with make such an outlandish comment. "The championship games are meaningless." Ha!

Ask the Wisconsin, Florida State, or Stanford players and coaching staffs if their conference championship victories this weekend were meaningless.....

I understand the emotional side for the players and coaches and the accomplishment of winning your conference. Ive attended two MAC championship game and I won a conference championship game in high school and it was the peak of my athletic life.

What I meant by meaningless is that nothing was riding on the game except a bowl game that ultimately has nothing to do with the national title. Essentially all the teams in the PAC 12, ACC, and Big Ten championship games were eliminated weeks ago. If I'm a fan of one of those teams I'd be excited to win the conference, but if there's no national title implications I'm not going to drop money and time to drive to Indianapolis or Charlotte.

Also, BCS bowls don't mean anything anymore. Unless you're in the big game it's just a fun exhibition in a vacation destination.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Finally get some FCS playoff action on TV this coming week. Sam Houston State vs Montana State Friday night on ESPN2. Georgia Southern vs Old Dominion Saturday at noon on ESPN.

D2 & D3 semifinals available online via ESPN3.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Let's take a gander at the bastion of objective analysis that is the Coaches Poll. Pay special attention to James Franklin's ballot. He knows how to stay on message.
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Let's take a gander at the bastion of objective analysis that is the Coaches Poll. Pay special attention to James Franklin's ballot. He knows how to stay on message.

That's just... weird. How does he end up being the only coach who doesn't vote ND 1 or 2?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Looks like "Northern Illinois to the Orange Bowl" is going to happen.

A fitting cap to 2012 college football season.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Looks like "Northern Illinois to the Orange Bowl" is going to happen.

A fitting cap to 2012 college football season.

ehlxld.gif

Oh no they don't sell tickets. Probably a reason one of you will complain.

I think it's more the fact that they lost to Iowa, and are getting a BCS birth than the fact that they won't sell tickets.

Interestingly Illinois has had more schools go to the BCS than 7 SEC states.

#WaitsForIt

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived