2012 NCAA Football thread

Kevin W.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BOBO!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

WOW. What an ending in Atlanta.

Georgia should have spiked the ball there and try for two plays. They were trying to throw to the corner endzone, but the tip for the short pass, the catch short, the receiver slipping in bounds while trying to turn to go out of bounds. Bad decision followed by bad luck for Georgia.

-----

And now we wait...

No. 1 Notre Dame Fighting Irish vs No. 2 Alabama Crimson Tide in Miami.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

In a way I'm glad it's 'Bama. That makes this the ultimate test to see if this weird non-conference over-worshiped ND team is really a #1 or if it's just a facade.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I'm a Bama fan and I'm not even thinking it's going to be a cake walk. Brian Kelly will have those boys ready, especially the defense, you'll never have to worry about Te'o's boys. The only thing that will stop the Irish from at least being competitive will be Everett Golston.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

A good quarterback KNOWS to throw the ball into the endzone there. Just a terrible decision.

He was trying to...

----

Ultimately, just based on styles of play, I think Notre Dame actually has a better chance of beating Alabama than Georgia, at least defensively. I think ND can stop the Bama run game, but who know's if ND will be able score. I think it'll be a much better game than a lot of you are expecting, but giving Saban a month of prep is never a good thing.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I'm sure as hell going to be rooting for Notre Dame (as much as it pains me to) in the NCG. I've had enough of "SEC PAWWWLLL". I don't care if it's Notre Dame, I just want ANYONE to dethrone the SEC, so that maybe that conference will step up, and play a good nonconference game away from home (that means playing a game outside the state of Florida, gators).

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

So all of these conference championship games except the SEC are having a hard time selling tickets, right? Here's the problem: they're all meaningless. The game is for who wins the conference, but at this point it just means the champion goes to a bowl game without a purpose. Nebraska and Wisconsin are playing for the Rose Bowl. Sweet. For what reason should Wisconsin and Nebraska get excited about that idea?

Solution: Make a playoff that only conference champions get to play in. No at large berths. The regular season stays meaningful, true meaning is added to each conference title game, and the players will be playing for something more than just a trip to an exhibition game. It's as simple as the belief that if you're not the best from your conference then you shouldn't be eligible for the National Championship (looking at 2011 Alabama). It would be the defacto first round of the tournament.

College football has changed more in the last 2 years than it has in the previous 20 and it's only going to change more. Conferences are realigning, they're using a 4 team playoff next year. Now is the time to add something like this.

PvO6ZWJ.png

So all of these conference championship games except the SEC are having a hard time selling tickets, right? Here's the problem: they're all meaningless. The game is for who wins the conference, but at this point it just means the champion goes to a bowl game without a purpose. Nebraska and Wisconsin are playing for the Rose Bowl. Sweet. For what reason should Wisconsin and Nebraska get excited about that idea?

Solution: Make a playoff that only conference champions get to play in. No at large berths. The regular season stays meaningful, true meaning is added to each conference title game, and the players will be playing for something more than just a trip to an exhibition game. It's as simple as the belief that if you're not the best from your conference then you shouldn't be eligible for the National Championship (looking at 2011 Alabama). It would be the defacto first round of the tournament.

College football has changed more in the last 2 years than it has in the previous 20 and it's only going to change more. Conferences are realigning, they're using a 4 team playoff next year. Now is the time to add something like this.

This isn't the worst idea in the world. However, you're a baseball fan, and I'm sure you've heard complaints before about the crappy 85 win division champion going to the playoffs, while the excellent 92 win third place team gets rejected. (Actually, you have an annual complaint post about that, but that's not the point.)

My point being - imagine the Big East sending one of their dreckful unranked teams to the BCS playoffs, while a conference as vocal as the SEC would have 11-1 Florida and Georgia, and 10-2 LSU, South Carolina, and Texas A&M ALL rejected? You can even toss in 11-1 Oregon and K-State, 11-2 Stanford, and 11-2 Oklahoma to this mix as well. The criticism would just be overwhelming to an insane degree.

If anything, I prefer a twelve team playoff, and a straight one at that. NFL sends twelve teams, CFB could do the same. Top four get byes, then you have 5/12, 6/11, 7/10, and 8/9. Re-seed beyond this - the math is quite fluid.

spacer.png

Archived