2012 NCAA Football thread

Kevin W.

I never said Bama cheated in the game. I think the program as a whole is dirty.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a boring game. College Football needs a real playoff instead of the band-aid that is the 4-team playoff starting in a couple of seasons.

16 teams. 11 Conference Champions and 5 at large-bids. Use the BCS for seeding and the 5 at-large bids. Until you reach the National Semi-Finals, every game is at the stadium of the higher seed. Or, still use the bowls for the playoffs.

Every schools gets an opportunity to win the National Title.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Amen... except we need a legitimate playoff, not the BCS 2.0 crap we're getting.

8 teams. Six top ranked conference champions and two at-large. Conference champs need to be ranked no lower than 16th. If there aren't enough conference champs in the top 16, add an at-large. If there are more than six conference champs in the top 16, remove an at-large. Use the current bowl tie-ins regardless of seeding. If the normal tie-ins aren't possible for certain games, adjust accordingly. No more AQ conferences. Bid out the NCG and semi-finals like the Super Bowl or simply rotate them them among the current bowls. Done.

The regular season not only remains relevant, it gets a helluva lot more important. The bowls can stop whining because they get to keep their precious tie-ins. Money is pouring in from all directions.

That is the problem I have with your idea and the proposed. Conference tie-ins are what is wrong with BCS now. Who says the #1 team in the Big East is better than the #3 in the Big 12? Your last statement is confusing and cancels out your first.

Unless each conference adopts a scheduling format like the Big 12 where everyone plays everyone, then the system will be faulty and room for complaining will exist. How can we let a #1 from the ACC make it to a BCS bowl game (or in this case, the playoffs), when they were crushed by a #5 SEC team at the end of the season?

There has to be room for more than 2 teams from each conference. The poll system sucks because of human bias...and the computer system is no good because humans don't trust it. Crappy situation that we can only hope to find the best of.

I never said Bama cheated in the game. I think the program as a whole is dirty.

I don't say that about every SEC program. I just don't think Saban is legit. He doesn't seem like a trustworthy kind of coach.

"I don't like his face" isn't a sound reason to start an investigation.

Amen... except we need a legitimate playoff, not the BCS 2.0 crap we're getting.

8 teams. Six top ranked conference champions and two at-large. Conference champs need to be ranked no lower than 16th. If there aren't enough conference champs in the top 16, add an at-large. If there are more than six conference champs in the top 16, remove an at-large. Use the current bowl tie-ins regardless of seeding. If the normal tie-ins aren't possible for certain games, adjust accordingly. No more AQ conferences. Bid out the NCG and semi-finals like the Super Bowl or simply rotate them them among the current bowls. Done.

The regular season not only remains relevant, it gets a helluva lot more important. The bowls can stop whining because they get to keep their precious tie-ins. Money is pouring in from all directions.

That is the problem I have with your idea and the proposed. Conference tie-ins are what is wrong with BCS now. Who says the #1 team in the Big East is better than the #3 in the Big 12? Your last statement is confusing and cancels out your first.

Unless each conference adopts a scheduling format like the Big 12 where everyone plays everyone, then the system will be faulty and room for complaining will exist. How can we let a #1 from the ACC make it to a BCS bowl game (or in this case, the playoffs), when they were crushed by a #5 SEC team at the end of the season?

There has to be room for more than 2 teams from each conference. The poll system sucks because of human bias...and the computer system is no good because humans don't trust it. Crappy situation that we can only hope to find the best of.

But then again, you get into the debate of "if you're the 3rd-best Big XII team, should you even have a chance at the national championship?"

6fQjS3M.png

Well, looks like I was wrong.

Congratulations to Alabama, a VERY worthy National Champion—the best football really is played in the SEC.

Looks like someone should've taken me up on a sig bet, though. :P

Again, don't do them unless the Rams are involved in some way. Honestly the M.O.V. surprised me a little too.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well SEC teams #3-5 probably should have considered winning their 2-3 big in-conference games rather than racking up a bunch of wins against the lower tier SEC teams. Let's not reward failure to prepare here.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Honestly this whole game has been a train-wreck from a NCAA football perspective. Between the rabid "SEC SEC!" fans and the "Go F*** Yourself Southern America!" sentiments it's amazing that anyone's been able to just watch this game without their heads exploding (btw I was pulling for Notre Dame). On top of this this whole affair really exposes how flawed the BCS system is. I know I've said you don't need a playoff before, but I stand corrected. You do.

So between a fatally flawed BCS system and people ready to start a second Civil War over a football game I'm just sort of done.

Congrats Alabama. I suppose.

I don't say that about every SEC program. I just don't think Saban is legit. He doesn't seem like a trustworthy kind of coach.

"I don't like his face" isn't a sound reason to start an investigation.

Well, his face is certainly punchable. That's good enough evidence for a show-cause in my book. :P

I'll drink to that.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Who says the #1 team in the Big East is better than the #3 in the Big 12?

We don't know that, but one thing we do know is that the #1 team in the Big East is better than the #3 in your beloved SEC this year.

My point stands.

Well SEC teams #3-5 probably should have considered winning their 2-3 big in-conference games rather than racking up a bunch of wins against the lower tier SEC teams. Let's not reward failure to prepare here.

Again, my point stands.

Wherein the REAL solution lies is teams actually playing top non-conference opponents. Props to the schools like Alabama this year, LSU last year, and Oregon last year who scheduled big games in their non-conference schedule rather than attempt to go undefeated against a weak schedule and sneak in.

Thing is Notre Dame vs Alabama sells. Thats how the BCS deterkines championship games. You can only imagine the revenue gained in this one game

Or maybe, just maybe, there wasn't an alternative to ND in this game? A reminder that everyone's favorite suggestion of Oregon in the game lost to Stanford at home where Notre Dame beat Stanford at home...

6fQjS3M.png

Again, my point stands.

What? That South Carolina should get an undeserved shot at the national title because it won the 10 games it should barring a freak upset? If Spurrier wants another national title, he's going to have to work for it. (Spoiler: He won't)

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived