The Carolina Panthers new logo is HERE

DeFrank

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The absence of the white key line really bothered me, especially when placed on like backgrounds...

Wordmark is horrendous...

Oh, and you guys dont get worked up about the black helmets, as long as nothing more changes, I'm pretty sure we are going to see a silver one, much like what they run now...

Edit: Oh and not sure if anyone noticed, but with no outline, they have force themselves into two different logos, depending on backgrounds. On black, the right whiskers are blue, on blue the whiskers are black. So there are essentially two logos. Basic design rule completely broken there...

I think/hope this means the Panthers will be wearing black helmets next year. I wouldn't like if every team had a helmet like that, but it could be cool for the Panthers. I could see them going with a slightly oversized helmet logo if they do go the black helmet route. I'm excited to see what the whole uniform package looks like. As is often with Nike designs, I think it'll either be great or horrible. Let's hope for the former.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I really like how there is no keyline when used on the black and blue backgrounds.

I don't. Unless Nike's big idea is to have the logo's features emerge from a black helmet (like the Cardinals concept), then it should be set off from its background or else it becomes a vague mess of strokes.

This board is also a vague mess of strokes.

I guess whenever I think of a black panther (the cat, not the gang or comic book), I always envision it in an environment like this:

Black_Panther_in_Forest_by_sayjinlink.png

or, basically, a creature that relies on stealth and camouflage when stalking its prey. If you were in a jungle with a panther, you would only see the little reflection of light hitting off the creature and that's it. By eliminating that white "halo" around it, I believe it adds a much more natural/organic/realistic feel to the logo.

But hey, what do I know?

or, basically, a creature that relies on stealth and camouflage when stalking its prey. If you were in a jungle with a panther, you would only see the little reflection of light hitting off the creature and that's it. By eliminating that white "halo" around it, I believe it adds a much more natural/organic/realistic feel to the logo.

But hey, what do I know?

You have a good point, but you might be overthinking it at the expense of the logo's integrity across applications. While the helmet mock-up just now is intriguing, I think you're going to want a keyline in print and elsewhere just to properly delineate the logo and keep it from being a bunch of blue shapes on black and not the head of a panther.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived