2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

Anthony Rizzo is at this moment the greatest Cubs first basement in history.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nats cant hit worth a lick, wouldnt be surprised to see them drop off a bit but the pitching will keep them in every game. Detwiler deserved a much better fate yesterday (and so did the rather large contingent of Nats fans in Baltimore).

Looks like the Nats read your post prior to last night's game. Boy, what a record setting night!

Crazy stat: The top 5 home run leaders in the AL have more home runs thn the NL's leader.

Even stranger to see Adam Dunn in the mix, especially after the atrocious season he had last year.

Even stranger to see Dunn second in the majors in walks.

How is that strange? Dunn's entire game is homeruns, strikeouts, and walks. Last year, while historically awful, was a fluke. His walks and strikeout rates are a bit higher than his career rates they aren't insanely so. His batting average is below his career average (but who really cares about Adam Dunn's batting average?), but his OBP/SLG/OPS and OPS+ is right there around his career averages. Big Donkey is doing what Big Donkey does.

I wasn't certain whose comment your question was directed to; however, I anticipated that Dunn would completely fall off the map after the season he had last year, and he has proven my assumption wrong for the most part.

ibkZoWW040Kk8K.gif

:P

So that's why his first name is AROLLdis.

Sabathia put on the 15 day DL, should miss 2 starts and come back after the all-star break. It looks like Garcia will take his spot in the rotation until then. This year the Yankees haven't been riddled with injuries, but three of their top players (Rivera, Gardner, Sabathia) have all gotten hurt for an extended period. Hopefully it doesn't hurt them too much.

I don't know how Dale Sveum hasn't murdered somebody on that Cubs team.

Sveum's as dumb as his players. Quade with eyebrows.

Ned Yost, Dale Sveum, and Mike Matheny are three of the worst tactical managers in baseball right now.

Unfortunately for the Royals fans, Yost is who he is. Not sure how Yost has stuck around to this point.

Matheny has never managed or been a full-time coach at any level (well, one season of little league, I believe.). Sveum has been around the pro game a while, but never a major league manager. Both could conceivably grow.

I get super frustrated with Matheny, but I like his make up, I have faith he'll get better; these are just growing pains. I'm not sure if Cubs fans feel the same about Sveum. It probably makes it tougher for them (and him) that he's dealing with a bad roster, while Matheny has one that can compete. (On the other hand, it makes the games Matheny gives away more costly).

In any case, for 2012, I've seen enough games from those three guys to know they really struggle with basic strategy.

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of Sveum, but I wasn't really expecting much either. I think the Cubs thought all along that he was just going to be the guy in charge during the rebuild phase and they'll get someone else once the team is ready to compete. So unless Sveum doors something amazing with this team he won't be around when the team isn't awful.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Not surprising you would think that of three managers in the division you watch the most baseball.

I mean, I don't know how many games across the league you watch, but fan nature means you focus most on the teams within your division. So I would expect you to know the faults of those managers more than any other managers across the league.

I can tell you right now that, having seen as much Rays baseball as I have, being an AL East fan and an in-market person, that his genius schematics don't work out nearly as often as the media would lead to believe. Despite being a brilliant statistician, he twice loaded his lineup with righties against Cliff Lee in the 2010 ALDS, even though Lee did better against righties than lefties, and the box scores would only continue that trend.

Joe Girardi an excellent at managing bullpens. He's not really at that great at much else, and some of his decisions are complete head-scratchers. And he's been with the Yankees for, jeez, five seasons now.

I could go on about Tito from the past and Valentine this year, and I could probably go into some good depth about Buck and John Farrell. Much more than I could about those NL Central managers.

Point being - I'm not even trying to say you're wrong. But of course you know the flaws of those guys the best. They're the managers you see most often.

****I just remembered Yost hasn't been in Milwaukee since 2008, but between what you remember from then, and the fact that he's in Kansas City now, you're probably still fairly familiar with him. Especially since the Cards just played the Royals twice in the past two weeks.

spacer.png

Yep. You're spot on. I do have MLB.tv, but I still watch NL Central teams most. My opinion of Yost actually has very little to do with his Brewers tenure, though, but it is influenced by the Royals games I've seen lately and the Royals fans I follow on Twitter.

No doubt theirs some problems with my sampling of games, so I guess I can't say they're the worst, but they struggle, I know that much.

Anyone else trying out this MLB Full Count thing on Yahoo? I was watching a little bit of Dodgers-Giants with it last night and it seems pretty legit. Apparently it's all free and you get to watch certain out of market games. I'll have to check it out a little more tonight.

Matheny has never managed or been a full-time coach at any level (well, one season of little league, I believe.). Sveum has been around the pro game a while, but never a major league manager. Both could conceivably grow.

Sveum managed the 2008 Brewers for the last twelve games of the season after they fired, of all people, Ned Yost. That was a fun chase, with Yost running Sheets and Sabathia into the ground with varying success until finally the reins were taken away from him. They didn't miss the playoffs under Sveum, but that had more to do with the Mets crapping out down the stretch even more than the Brewers did. Says a lot that the Brewers didn't remove the interim tag despite the playoff berth. This guy sucks.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Anyone else trying out this MLB Full Count thing on Yahoo? I was watching a little bit of Dodgers-Giants with it last night and it seems pretty legit. Apparently it's all free and you get to watch certain out of market games. I'll have to check it out a little more tonight.

Its pretty much the exact same thing as what MLB.com offers and you might as well just get Extra Innings I would say if your interested in out of market games. $200 gets you the whole season. That and NHL Center Ice I think are the two best deals out there. With the NBA most of your marquee games are on National TV anyway so unless your a huge fan of an out of market team its pretty pointless. And with the NFL you need DirecTV which I don't like and I'm not a big enough football fan to put up with it.

Also watching a mall cop holding up the Dodgers/Giants game. Lincecum actually looks good for once.

ibkZoWW040Kk8K.gif

For that, Joey Votto will be taking a fastball to the back the next time the Brewers and Reds meet up.

Which was today and that didn't happen.

Nice to see Cincy get away with some over-the-top showboating. The Brewers are pu$$ies anyways.

6uXNWAo.png

Yankees who lost CC earlier today lost Pettitte on a line drive today wow what is going on with pitching it seems every day another starter goes down.

Now saying he's out at least six weeks and they have a tough stretch coming up as well.

At home against the White Sox, then on the road to take on Tampa Bay and Boston before the All-Star break.

Archived