2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

Nats cant hit worth a lick, wouldnt be surprised to see them drop off a bit but the pitching will keep them in every game. Detwiler deserved a much better fate yesterday (and so did the rather large contingent of Nats fans in Baltimore).

Wasn't there some talk early in the season about the Wandering Montreal Expos Nationals placing "innings limits" on their younger starting pitchers, like Strasburg, even if the team is in contention?

Its actually just Strasburg due to his TJ surgery last year, they did the same thing with Jordan Zimmermann last year. Theyve played coy when answering questions because frankly they didnt face this issue last year with Zimmermann since we werent very good. Im not sure how I feel about the inning limits but he hasnt thrown a CG yet, and hes only at 90 innings so far so I think its premature to talk about inning limits yet.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crazy stat: The top 5 home run leaders in the AL have more home runs thn the NL's leader.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Crazy stat: The top 5 home run leaders in the AL have more home runs thn the NL's leader.

Even stranger to see Adam Dunn in the mix, especially after the atrocious season he had last year.

Even stranger to see Dunn second in the majors in walks.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Adam Dunn is this generation's Dave Kingman hits a million homers hits .220

Two love guys I'd love to see in a home run derby.

Dunn is also on pace to strikeout 264 times this year which would smash the single season strikeout record.

There will also be a slugging left-handed first baseman in the other side if Chicago today. The Cubs are calling up Anthony Rizzo. There's finally something interesting to watch other than the race not to come in last.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Even stranger to see Adam Dunn in the mix, especially after the atrocious season he had last year.

How is that strange? Dunn's entire game is homeruns, strikeouts, and walks. Last year, while historically awful, was a fluke. His walks and strikeout rates are a bit higher than his career rates they aren't insanely so. His batting average is below his career average (but who really cares about Adam Dunn's batting average?), but his OBP/SLG/OPS and OPS+ is right there around his career averages. Big Donkey is doing what Big Donkey does.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Right now its a tossup between Canseco and Dave Kingman for the guy with the most career home runs and no argument whatsoever for the HOF, depending on your feelings about Canseco. Canseco has more home runs and I don't think should be in the HOF, but I wouldn't consider him the worst player in the HOF and at one point you could argue was the best player in baseball (steroid use not being held against him). Kingman on the other hand might be the worst and was never at any point in his career the best player in baseball.

Even if you only took into account offense and completely disregarded defense, I'm still not sure Adam Dunn would get into the HOF. So I don't think Dunn has any argument whatsoever, is about 80 home runs back of Canseco, 60 back of Kingman, and will be around for at least another two years. So he has a decent shot at least of taking that title.

How is that strange? Dunn's entire game is homeruns, strikeouts, and walks. Last year, while historically awful, was a fluke. His walks and strikeout rates are a bit higher than his career rates they aren't insanely so. His batting average is below his career average (but who really cares about Adam Dunn's batting average?), but his OBP/SLG/OPS and OPS+ is right there around his career averages. Big Donkey is doing what Big Donkey does.

I know that last year was a fluke, but I still find it strange to see him rebound as quickly as he did with respect to both walks and home runs.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Right now its a tossup between Canseco and Dave Kingman for the guy with the most career home runs and no argument whatsoever for the HOF, depending on your feelings about Canseco. Canseco has more home runs and I don't think should be in the HOF, but I wouldn't consider him the worst player in the HOF and at one point you could argue was the best player in baseball (steroid use not being held against him). Kingman on the other hand might be the worst and was never at any point in his career the best player in baseball.

Even if you only took into account offense and completely disregarded defense, I'm still not sure Adam Dunn would get into the HOF. So I don't think Dunn has any argument whatsoever, is about 80 home runs back of Canseco, 60 back of Kingman, and will be around for at least another two years. So he has a decent shot at least of taking that title.

Adam Dunn has no case because he is one of the worst defensive players of his generation. And there is something to be said about having defensive value, or being a detriment on that side of the ball. It's probably the biggest reason why Edgar Martinez doesn't really have a HoF case, and he was a fantastic hitter.

Why David Ortiz won't have one, either.

spacer.png

Adam Dunn has no case because he is one of the worst defensive players of his generation. And there is something to be said about having defensive value, or being a detriment on that side of the ball. It's probably the biggest reason why Edgar Martinez doesn't really have a HoF case, and he was a fantastic hitter.

Why David Ortiz won't have one, either.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/martied01-field.shtml

Actually, when Martinez played defense he was an average fielder. People assume that he was a terrible fielder because he spent the vast majority of his time at DH. But when he did play the defense he did so adequately. Martinez's HoF case is predicated entirely on his hitting (and may not be quite good enough on those merits), but it's hard to argue that he should be punished because of his defense.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I don't know how Dale Sveum hasn't murdered somebody on that Cubs team.

I can't recall seeing a team that mentally inept at the Major League level. They do things I wouldn't excuse a little leaguer for screwing up like making the last out at third base or getting picked off with two outs when your not even trying to steal.

Right now they are up 4-3, but its one of those games where they're winning almost in spite of their play.

I can't recall seeing a team that mentally inept at the Major League level. They do things I wouldn't excuse a little leaguer for screwing up like making the last out at third base or getting picked off with two outs when your not even trying to steal.

Right now they are up 4-3, but its one of those games where they're winning almost in spite of their play.

I remember against my Giants when Castro forgot to turn a double play and assumed there were 2 outs when it was only 1. That enabled the game to be tied at that time.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I remember against my Giants when Castro forgot to turn a double play and assumed there were 2 outs when it was only 1. That enabled the game to be tied at that time.

Steve Clevenger just got picked off at first base on a snap throw from the catcher and got bailed out on a bad call by the umpire.

Normally that would be bad enough, but there was a runner on second and I don't believe the double steal was on.

Somehow they are now up 5-3.

Archived