2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

I'm in the boat of seeing the NHL go right into another lockout. I'm sick of this type of crap, terrible for the game and it still hasn't been repaired in many facets. Lets see what another lockout does to this league. Who the hell guaranteed only 7 years of labour peace?

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think another lost season will take out a few teams in weaker markets for sure. With the economy the way it is, people are fed up with millionaires fighting with billionaires. The only reason I think the NBA hasn't been hurt too much is because most people would just assume they start on Christmas anyways, and the NFL is like the sports crack of America.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Thaaaaaanks Eastern Conference players for ruining it for the Western teams. :rolleyes:

That "home-and-home" would only be an additional 6 road games to the current "west" and probably only 3 of those would be further west than Dallas / Winnipeg. Thanks.

There wouldn't be all that much of an advantage for teams in 7 team divisions IMO. But hey, that's just me.

6fQjS3M.png

This isn't about the perceived fairness or logistics of the realignment itself. It's about the NHLPA refusing to approve anything they weren't given what they feel to be a fair amount of input on. In other words, "You can't tell us what to do, no matter how much sense it makes!" This is the posture being taken into the CBA meetings.

I think we all need to start bracing for Lost Season Two: The Final Chapter.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

the NFL is like the sports crack of America.

How is that not a mid-market sports-talk station, like "The Sports Animal"?

YOU'VE GOT KCRK OMAHA, THE SPORTS CRACK! GOT A LINE OPEN IF YOU'VE GOT SOMEONE YOU WANNA SMOKE!!!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Tank, we went over this before; the commissioner is not a figurehead for the sport but rather someone with actual and serious job responsibilities involving contract and labor law. That's like saying the head of the Teamsters' Union should be some trucker named Earl because he's a "trucking guy."

Ken Dryden is the closest thing to what you want, but why would bloated plutocrats hire someone as aligned with labor as Ken Dryden?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

the NFL is like the sports crack of America.

How is that not a mid-market sports-talk station, like "The Sports Animal"?

YOU'VE GOT KCRK OMAHA, THE SPORTS CRACK! GOT A LINE OPEN IF YOU'VE GOT SOMEONE YOU WANNA SMOKE!!!

I'm surprised one of the stations here in Memphis doesn't have that name. We have FIVE, that's right, FIVE sports talk stations for a metro of 1.5 million. We have 3 news/talk stations.

And back to reallignment...

Thought this would seem relevant...the six division setup will screw someone so I came up with this...

NHL 2013-14...5 division format...moving PHX to QUE

Pacific: VAN, EDM, CAL, SJ, ANA, LA

Central: COL, CHI, MIN, DAL, WIN, STL

Eastern: DET, CBJ, TB, FLA, CAR, NAS

Atlantic: NYR, NYI, NJ, PHI, PIT, WAS

Northeast: TOR, MON, OTT, QUE, BOS, BUF

Pros of this setup:

-DET and CBJ get to play more ET games.

-VAN stays with EDM and CAL

-DAL gets to play more CT games.

-The Atlantic stays together.

-Many more possibilities for Stanley Cup Final match-ups.

play your division 6x=30 games

play everyone else 2x=48 games

play one additional game against non-division teams with same rank from last season=4 games

Playoffs

Division winners+11 wild cards qualify.

Teams are grouped geographically (kind of like the NCAA basketball tournament)

The 8 westernmost teams by longitude are placed in the Campbell Playoff Bracket.

The 8 easternmost teams are placed in the Price of Wales Playoff Bracket.

Division winners are seeded first in their respective playoffs followed by wild cards.

Teams in the central part of the continent could be in one bracket or the other depending on how the standings shake out.

Then playoffs proceed as they are now, except that if teams are traveling more than one time zone the series is played in a 2-3-2 format.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Why can't they just put Winnipeg in another division and swap places with another team to balance out the traveling scedule and end it there?

That's exactly what they should do and hopefully do after this dispute is solved. Honestly I hated the new alignment, swap a couple of teams and it's fine. OR have 5 divisions of 6 teams if so be it, but I think having the uneven "conferences" was just dumb.

niagaraq.png

According to HockeyBuzz, here's the NHLPA's reasoning:

"The proposed conference and playoff structure would create a serious unfairness because it would provide Players in conferences with 7-teams a substantially better chance of qualifying for the playoffs (4/7 versus 4/8); These teams will have this same statistical advantage every year under this conference format.....The "home + home" scheduling requirement, as well as the geographic position of teams within the new conference structure, could have a significant effect on the amount and the kind of travel (i.e, the number and length of team road trips; the number of games played on a road trip; the number of back-to-back games; the frequency of border crossings; the length of home stands)."

It's not a bad list, though a couple of these excuses are more tied to venue availability than it is the result of a modified schedule-making process.

What the :censored: . Those poor bastards in the Patrick Division had an even more substantially worse chance of qualifying for the playoffs during the glory days than the rest of the league than somebody from 1 of the 8 team divisions to 1 of the season and nobody complained then. As for scheduling and travel, I thought that the new alignment would ease burdens for most of the teams.

Furthermore, with regards to the inherent "unfairness" of the setup, well, the first two rounds were going to be played in your division/conference anyway, so honestly if you can't get past 4 teams in your division in the regular season with the unbalanced schedule, well you weren't going to do :censored: in the playoffs anyway. So piss off if you can't pull it off.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Why can't they just put Winnipeg in another division and swap places with another team to balance out the traveling scedule and end it there?

That's exactly what they should do and hopefully do after this dispute is solved. Honestly I hated the new alignment, swap a couple of teams and it's fine. OR have 5 divisions of 6 teams if so be it, but I think having the uneven "conferences" was just dumb.

Quebec City perhaps?

Furthermore, with regards to the inherent "unfairness" of the setup, well, the first two rounds were going to be played in your division/conference anyway, so honestly if you can't get past 4 teams in your division in the regular season with the unbalanced schedule, well you weren't going to do :censored: in the playoffs anyway. So piss off if you can't pull it off.

Rational Points? The NHL will have none of it!

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

That would be way too easy. This is the NHL we're talking about.

Because having "radical new ideas" is what draws fan interest.

:wacko:

6uXNWAo.png

Ok, since I'm not a die-hard NHL fan like some around here, who besides obviously Phoenix, is in danger of relocation/contraction? I've mostly heard Columbus and Florida around these parts. I propose moving one of those 3 teams (PHX, CLB, FLA) to Quebec, or letting Quebec like draft players from the 3, and contracting the other 2. Again, I'm just going by what I've heard. But under this scenario, you could go 4 conferences of 7, like so:

West: VAN, EDM, CLG, SJ, LA, ANA, COL

Central: WIN, MIN, DAL, STL, CHI, DET, NSH

North: PIT, BUF, TOR, OTT, MON, QUE, BOS

East: NYI, NYR, NJ, PHI, WAS, CAR, TB

Scheduling you can go:

Division: 6 games. x 6

Non-Division: 2 x 21 with an extra game against 4 teams

Or:

Division: 4 x 6

Non-Division: 4 x one division (rotate each year?) and 2 against each of the other 2 divisions. This would result in 80 games, so you can add 2 games somewhere or just go with the reduced total.

Just a thought.

Archived