Super Bowl Fields

ltjets21

Another shot of SB XXXIX

Super%20Bowl%20XXXiX%2075.jpg

SB XXXI in New Orleans...Pats used a red endzone.

SP_NFL_018_LG.jpg

Brett-Favre.jpg

2fpg-vertical.jpg

What kind of font was that in the XXXI? The current one but lighter blue? Did it have the flying elvis on it? Some of the pats super bowls had flying elvis in the font while others just had "Patriots" without elvis.

Yes. The current font with the lighter blue has been around since the introduction of Flying Elvis logo set in the early 90s.

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like it had Elvis on it.

Yes, Elvis was there.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that the Lombardi Trophy at the 50 in the pic of SB III? I guess this standardized look goes back farther than we thought!

Indeed it is...with an NFL & AFL logo on it. There's only 4 of those...

miami.super-bowl-iii-joe-namath.lou.witt.nfl.triolo.si.jpg

Looks like the text reads "World Professional Football Championship".

gYH2mW9.png

Is that the Lombardi Trophy at the 50 in the pic of SB III? I guess this standardized look goes back farther than we thought!

Yup. IIRC, the Super Bowl name wasn't actually codified until after the merger (before then it was used interchangably with "AFL-NFL World Championship Game" and variations thereof) and the trophy didn't get its name until Lombardi passed two years later, which also happened to coincide with the merger.

Indeed it is...with an NFL & AFL logo on it. There's only 4 of those...miami.super-bowl-iii-joe-namath.lou.witt.nfl.triolo.si.jpg

Here is something I have been wondering, where is the Super Bowl V trophy? Here is why I ask. The Rosenbloom's owned the Colts at the time, but then they traded the franchise to the Irsay's. Did Rosenbloom keep the trophy and end up in Georgia Frontiere's office in Anaheim and then in St. Louis? Or did the Irsay's take ownership of it and take with them to Indianapolis? Did the city of Baltimore confiscate it?

iq5b7nF.png

Indeed it is...with an NFL & AFL logo on it. There's only 4 of those...miami.super-bowl-iii-joe-namath.lou.witt.nfl.triolo.si.jpg

Here is something I have been wondering, where is the Super Bowl V trophy? Here is why I ask. The Rosenbloom's owned the Colts at the time, but then they traded the franchise to the Irsay's. Did Rosenbloom keep the trophy and end up in Georgia Frontiere's office in Anaheim and then in St. Louis? Or did the Irsay's take ownership of it and take with them to Indianapolis? Did the city of Baltimore confiscate it?

According to Wikipedia:

A replica of the Vince Lombardi Trophy from Super Bowl V is located inside the museum. The original trophy from the Colts' 1971 trophy was taken by former owner Carroll Rosenbloom when he traded the Colts for the Rams shortly afterwards in a shrewd deal. A replica trophy was later made for the Colts, but in the Midnight Move of 1984, the team was not allowed to keep the trophy. That trophy stayed in the city of Baltimore's possession, and was placed in the Sports Legends museum.

There's a pic of the trophy in the museum here.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

So I was going to compile a definative list of each SB's end zone.

Feel free to copy and add the next in line if anyone would care too.

To start it looks like SB I was:

Left end zone: Packers in green on a yellow end zone, with the NFL shield to the left and right.

Right end zone: Chiefs in red on a yellow end zone, with the AFL logo to the left and right.

SB II

Left end zone: Packers in green on a yellow end zone. Can't tell what is on the left, guessing the Packer logo, and NFL shield on right.

Right end zone: Raiders in silver on a black end zone, Raiders logo on the left, and the AFL logo on the right.

SB III

Left end zone: Jets in white on a green end zone, with the Jets logo on the left, and the AFL logo on the right.

Right end zone: Colts in white outlined in black, on a blue end zone, with the Colts logo on the left, and the NFL shield on the right.

sig-1.png

Super Bowl IV

Chiefs went with yellow endzones with red lettering. The same as Super Bowl I, but I can't find any pictures.

Vikings had purple endzones with yellow lettering, which was different because in Super Bowl VIII, IX and XI they went the opposite with yellow endzones and purple lettering.

Super+Bowl+IV+stadium+view+72.jpg

CHIEFS - BLUE JACKETS - CARDINALS

So I was going to compile a definative list of each SB's end zone.

Feel free to copy and add the next in line if anyone would care too.

To start it looks like SB I was:

Left end zone: Packers in green on a yellow end zone, with the NFL shield to the left and right.

Right end zone: Chiefs in red on a yellow end zone, with the AFL logo to the left and right.

SB II

Left end zone: Packers in green on a yellow end zone. Can't tell what is on the left, guessing the Packer logo, and NFL shield on right.

Right end zone: Raiders in silver on a black end zone, Raiders logo on the left, and the AFL logo on the right.

SB III

Left end zone: Jets in white on a green end zone, with the Jets logo on the left, and the AFL logo on the right.

Right end zone: Colts in white outlined in black, on a blue end zone, with the Colts logo on the left, and the NFL shield on the right.

Hey there! I've always wanted pictures from all the Bowls myself. Thought I might add my two cents....

SB II - The Packers wordmark was the same as the year before...NFL logos bookmarked the name.

SB IV - The Vikings wordmark had the NFL50 logo on the right side.

SB VI & VII- The Cowboys/Dolphins Dolphins/Redskins had their respective wordmark designs in their endzones

SB VIII- This was the first year of "Helmets in the End Zone" and the "LOOK" of the SB until SB XXXI (Aqua BG for Miami, Yellow-Gold for Minnesota.)

( *if you ever see pictures of the field, EVERY hashmark and the numerals were trimmed in either purple or orange to match the teams half of the field.)

SB VII thru XII had painted the "dashes" ( officialy known as the Restarining line for photographers, etc) around the circumfrunce of the playing field in a red/white/blue sequence- SB VII dash sequence were in the team colors of Miami/Washington ( aqua/orange/burgundy/gold)

Sweet stuff!

I noticed in the 1/3/71 Cowboys at 49ers NFC title game, the right end zone says Cowboys.

But the weirdest is in the 12/24/77 Steelers at Broncos divisional playoff, the left end zone is blue, and says "Steelers" in a generic font.

For a divisional game? Wow.

That's not all that uncommon from those years. For example: the Browns had an endzone painted for the Broncos for "the Drive" game. I dont have a photo nor do I want to look for one, but on the highlights its there.

The Drive You SHOULD watch the whole thing just to enjoy it, but the endzone in question is easily spotted about the 6:20 mark

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

That would be cool if they tried to do this again, and also placed the trophy on the jerseys, like the NBA Finals.

bSLCtu2.png

That would be cool if they tried to do this again, and also placed the trophy on the jerseys, like the NBA Finals.

628x471.jpg

doesn't look to shabby

That's not all that uncommon from those years. For example: the Browns had an endzone painted for the Broncos for "the Drive" game. I dont have a photo nor do I want to look for one, but on the highlights its there.

The Drive You SHOULD watch the whole thing just to enjoy it, but the endzone in question is easily spotted about the 6:20 mark

I remember the Browns having the Broncos end zone.

Also the Dolphins had a Patriots (genereic font) end zone in the 1985 AFC title game.

I can understand a game for a championship, but was surprised that a semi final game featured

an opponents end zone....and an off colored one at that!

sig-1.png

The Cowboys when they were at the Cotton Bowl had the visiting teams end zones decorated, basically it was team logo, name and either another team logo or the NFL logo. The Saints did the same before they switched to turf at old Tulane Stadium. I have hundreds of old games on DVD, similar to the screen shots linked here, if i get the time I can screen cap some of these for reference. It is pretty neat seeing how much teams back in the 60's and 70's went out of their way to make the visiting team feel welcome at least with field decorations.

skinsboys4lf7pe.jpg

Archived