Seattle Mariners Cap Concept

rtrich11

First off, I give credit to Jay Jaxon for the great template used here.

This is not a reworked complete identity, although I may put together one in the near future. I wanted to focus on the cap and logo independently, away from the current uniforms. This would be just a piece of a future set. That isn't a real wordmark, just a place holder for now.

The current cap, while nice, has too many things going on. An S with an outline, a compass, and a ball. The compass part of it works to a degree, but I thought that it didn?t really say anything about being on a boat or ship. I wanted to play this with as much simplicity as possible and still get the message across.

The cap is navy blue, which may look almost black on some monitors.

MarinersRichards.png

This is a step in the right direction! However, would it be best to outline the "S" and the anchor separately?

I think it would. I would also suggest making the "S" and anchor different colors since this really isn't a monogram/interlocking letters. For example, the "S" could be white and the anchor grey.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1) The road cap doesn't need to have a silver anchor unless you intend for the Seattle to have silver in their color scheme.

2) Maybe try outlining the anchor in teal to make it pop more.

Other than that, this concept is the best Mariners concept I've seen on here! Fantastic job.

EDIT: I like that idea of having the 'S' be white, and the anchor be silver.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

Super nice concept here. I do agree with others that there could be a bit more distinction between the S and the anchor, but I wouldn't make them too distinct. Maybe just use a slight break in each form at certain junctions to imply overlapping or intertwining. Sort of what the Padres do with their cap logo; you'd probably need three breaks. Also I don't think you need any outlines, it's more elegant to me if you don't use them.

I also see an implied "M" (intentional?) in the bottom edge of the anchor, which is subtle and nice. If you played up those three points just a slight bit more, it could help bring it out perfectly.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Agree with the others about the two elements being different colours. I appreciate you trying to simplify, but in this case, I think you maybe oversimplified a bit. I think a blue outline on the whole thing, then a thin teal outline, would really enhance the look and tie it into the whole colour scheme.

Tom, try going with a silver S with a teal outline; then making the anchor teal and putting it behind the S so it blends into the teal outline... Right now there is too much competition for my eye with it all being one color.

I was just working on a logo similar to this for a fantasy soccer team.. I've alwayed thought the mariners need to focus on something other than that compass they have.

teams.gif

Someone be a World Champ, please!

Fantasy Football Keeper League.....PM me if you want to join!!

Tom, try going with a silver S with a teal outline; then making the anchor teal and putting it behind the S so it blends into the teal outline... Right now there is too much competition for my eye with it all being one color.

This, maybe with the outline being silver, but still interlocking. Maybe the anchor coming in front of the middle of the S. But without "separation marks". Just having the outline of the S and the anchor blending in together, like GFB said.

Here is a version of the hat, taking the advice where the anchor is silver. It's ok. I think I like it as a single-color, though.

I tried GFB's tip of turning the anchor green and having it meet with a green outline on the S. The problem is that there isn't enough contrast between the green and navy to make it work. Maybe if the colors were different. Was worth a try.

MarinersRichards2.png

Here is a version of the hat, taking the advice where the anchor is silver. It's ok. I think I like it as a single-color, though.

I tried GFB's tip of turning the anchor green and having it meet with a green outline on the S. The problem is that there isn't enough contrast between the green and navy to make it work. Maybe if the colors were different. Was worth a try.

MarinersRichards2.png

Now outline the S in silver. If you want more green on the logo, you could then add a green outline around the whole thing, but not where they overlap. Just around the outside.

Archived