Seattle Sonics Number Font

GriffinM6

There's a clear answer why they are different, but I'll let you figure it out.

Hints: Did Westbrook ever play for Seattle???? Does that Westbrook Sonics jersey look like a photoshop?????

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I was looking at the Sportsnation facebook page, and they asked if the Thunder should wear Sonics throwbacks. I looked at the picture, and noticed that the number fonts on Westbrook and Durant's jerseys were different.

Sonics

Westbrook never played for Seattle. Photoshopped poorly.

I was looking at the Sportsnation facebook page, and they asked if the Thunder should wear Sonics throwbacks. I looked at the picture, and noticed that the number fonts on Westbrook and Durant's jerseys were different.

Sonics

Sportsnation is a fluff show, and that question they asked wasn't thought out very well, since the Sonics left on bad terms. The relocation also happened fairly recently, so it doesn't make sense anyway. No, I don't see the Thunder wearing Sonic throwbacks, especially with Seattle trying to get back to the NBA. Seattle is trying to lure both an NBA and NHL team with plans for a new arena. The owner of the Thunder owns the Sonic logo, name and team colors, while Seattle owns the trophies. If an existing team(Kings?) happen to relocate, there will likely be an effort to buy back the popular Sonics name. When you stop and think about it, Clay Bennett(the OKC owner) and the fans of OKC have no real use for that logo and name. Bennett likely kept the logo/name upon moving the team so he could profit financially down the line.

Sonics

Can someone post the picture? I don't have Facebook so the links not letting me see it. Thanks!

Westbrook is photoshopped; he never played in Seattle.

And no they shouldn't.

Agreed. NEVER.

What's next... Ravens wearing Browns throwbacks? Horrible and shameful, especially considering the host is from the Seattle area and knows good and well how hurtful the situation is.

It's not like this is totally without precedent. The Chiefs have worn Dallas Texans throwbacks. The Rangers have worn Washington Senators throwbacks. To me, it seems like the question isn't "Should they wear these?" because right now the answer is absolutely no. The question is "Wwhat's the statue of limitations? At what point does it become acceptable to wear a throwback uni from a city where the team used to play?"

matt-cassell.jpg

josh-hamilton-in-senators-throwback.jpg

It's not like this is totally without precedent. The Chiefs have worn Dallas Texans throwbacks. The Rangers have worn Washington Senators throwbacks. To me, it seems like the question isn't "Should they wear these?" because right now the answer is absolutely no. The question is "Wwhat's the statue of limitations? At what point does it become acceptable to wear a throwback uni from a city where the team used to play?"

matt-cassell.jpg

josh-hamilton-in-senators-throwback.jpg

My take is that a few decades need to go by before throwing back to the old city, so there is sufficient time for the team to gain traction in the new city. In the case of the Chiefs, Dallas had the Cowboys, so it's not a factor. I believe the Rangers did wear Senator throwbacks before the Nats came into existence. However, unlike the Seattle-OKC situation, Washington relocated for the second time as the Senators because of apathy.

Good question. I think if the team changes their name, they shouldn't use an old city's throwback/brand. In that case, the lineage reverts to the city where that team played. Case in point... Here in Seattle the Mariners have worn Seattle Pilots throwbacks even though the Pilots are actually now the Brewers. But, it makes much more sense (to me) that Seattle celebrate their old team rather than Milwaukee celebrating a team that they had nothing to do with.

This made me think of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUIP_9fl1IM

But back on topic, I don't think the Thunder should ever be able to wear Sonic throwbacks. Mainly for one, I remember reading that the NBA made the Supersonic name, colors, etc stay in Seattle because there was a hope the league would have a team in Seattle again one day. Having the Thunder come out in Sonic throwbacks would be like the Ravens coming out in Browns throwbacks before the Browns came back. Also, its just too soon.

To answer your question when does it become acceptable, I would say it would have to be after an extended period of time in the current city. Enough time where the majority of fans of the league would remember the franchise as the new team, not the original. An example for me personally, I think it'd be ok if the NJ Devils trotted out in KC Scout uniforms for a game.

90758391980.gif

The owner of the Thunder owns the Sonic logo, name and team colors, while Seattle owns the trophies.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe it's actually the other way around. I think the Sonics' 1979 championship trophy is sitting in a trophy case in Oklahoma City, while Bennett gave up the Sonics' name, logo and colors so that a replacement franchise could use them.

This made me think of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUIP_9fl1IM

But back on topic, I don't think the Thunder should ever be able to wear Sonic throwbacks. Mainly for one, I remember reading that the NBA made the Supersonic name, colors, etc stay in Seattle because there was a hope the league would have a team in Seattle again one day. Having the Thunder come out in Sonic throwbacks would be like the Ravens coming out in Browns throwbacks before the Browns came back. Also, its just too soon.

To answer your question when does it become acceptable, I would say it would have to be after an extended period of time in the current city. Enough time where the majority of fans of the league would remember the franchise as the new team, not the original. An example for me personally, I think it'd be ok if the NJ Devils trotted out in KC Scout uniforms for a game.

I would also like to see those sharp KC Scouts uniforms again, but that also brings up the question of how well that would resonate with the NJ Devils fans. I'm sure a pretty significant portion of those fans, especially under the age of 40 are either unaware, or could care less about the Scouts. What was it, 1977? In a sense, it was like staying at a motel on the way to your destination. At least when the Rangers did the Senators throwback, you had about a decade in Washington. The Devils experience in KC was a brief interlude. If Kansas City were to get another NHL club, I wouldn't mind seeing the Scouts name and logo return, or try something different like the Blades.

Archived