Bobcats new colors?

frosty06306

bobcatsnew.png

I really like them. I don't get where people are seeing Orlando with these at all. When have they ever used pinstriped side panels? Or do you guys mean the font? but even then, it's the same Blahaus font the 'Cats have been using since they came into the league, simply straightened out. I don't see the Thunder comps either apart from using navy/carolina/orange. The designs are completely different.

The Mavs, though, I definitely do see. They should have kept the numbers centered, but other than that I think it's a clean look. The 'Cats' on the home set doesn't bother me at all. That's what every one calls them during home games anyway.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bobcatsnew.png

I really like them. I don't get where people are seeing Orlando with these at all. When have they ever used pinstriped side panels? Or do you guys mean the font? but even then, it's the same Blahaus font the 'Cats have been using since they came into the league, simply straightened out. I don't see the Thunder comps either apart from using navy/carolina/orange. The designs are completely different.

The Mavs, though, I definitely do see. They should have kept the numbers centered, but other than that I think it's a clean look. The 'Cats' on the home set doesn't bother me at all. That's what every one calls them during home games anyway.

tracy-mcgrady_1.jpg

These Magic uniforms had pinstriped side panels.

I want to hate these, but there's something about them that I like. Still, those side panels are abysmal, and the home wordmark is way too big. Wasn't a fan of the last Bobcats unis (or any of them), so this seems like a lateral move.

The Bobcats seem like that one kid at school who copies what the popular kids wear, but never gets it quite right...

their pinstripe look was one of my favorite sets. these seem unnecessary and rushed. its also kind of weird they used the old Nike template. at least.. a variation of it.

few more pics from the Bobcats website.

home:

120620_jersey_02.jpg

120620_jersey_04.jpg

away:

120620_jersey_12.jpg

120620_jersey_15.jpg

bonus:

120620_jersey_18.jpg

i really dislike the giant 'CATS' wordmark. im not in NC, so i dont know what the locals refer to them as.... but it seems like a stretch, as no one nationally refers to them as that. i guess plastering it on your primary uniform is a good way to get them to start.

as many have already said... the side panels are essentially a poor mashup of many other existing sets. you can see the hawks and magic shape/countour... the superfluous pinstripes like golden state.

if the contour/panel on the jersey went all the way up the side, it'd be cool with me. the excerpt/cropped look makes all the design elements seem CRAMMED in. i mean, triple piping AND double pinstripes on an area that small seems OD. looks like an overly styled crescent moon.

i like the 'C' logo. ive had a handful of clients in charlotte, and always dug the (city of) Charlotte logo with the crown. i wish they couldve played off that a little more, but this variation seems to fit the font type better. actually, after a quick search... it looks like they remixed UNC Charlottes logo and made it their own. *shrug*

updated secondary logos:

6521751913_509cf3d625_o.png

unc charlotte logo:

UNCC_Logo_1c.gif

i dont mind the right-justified numbers, but the font size is really throwing me off. CATS looks huge compared to the CHARLOTTE text on the road jersey... and trying to find a font size for the numbers that looks good underneath BOTH is near impossible.

dallas is my team, so im biased... but their uniform's typography is perfect for this setup. DALLAS appears on home and road, (mavs on alt) and double digit numbers align perfectly under 'LAS' in DALLAS. symmetry folks, it matters.

sidebar: couple years back during the rookie 'whatever' where they take all the promo shots, DoJo's uni was mocked up incorrectly. for the Mavs at least, i think the right-justified numbers work perfectly.

dominiquejones_012.jpeg

Dallas+Mavericks+v+Chicago+Bulls+p_dWa5Qi08ol.jpg

overall, its not a bad set. but compared to the previous, its a huge down grade.... in my humble opinion.

(never thought id have this much to say about anything related to the Bobcats)

Just rename them the Charlotte Cats, dump orange altogether, adopt silver, and become a total bastard child of Dallas/Orlando - all while pathetically trying to glean fandom from the Tar Heels/Panthers crowd.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

tracy-mcgrady_1.jpg

These Magic uniforms had pinstriped side panels.

Ah, the old T-Macs, my mistake. I still wouldn't say they look as dramatically similar as a couple have mentioned.

i can see it, but i didnt make that correlation. personally, i was referring to the shape of the panel. Orlando's is much bigger, but the Cats' is essentially the same thing... with a bunch of pinstripes inserted. the other reference i made above was to atlanta... who have the random contour/cropped side panels down pat. the Cats' shorts remind me of this style.

Jameer-Nelson-Jim-Rogash-Getty.jpg

jordan-player-exclusive-pe-air-jordan-element-joe-johnson-1.jpg

i can see it, but i didnt make that correlation. personally, i was referring to the shape of the panel. Orlando's is much bigger, but the Cats' is essentially the same thing... with a bunch of pinstripes inserted. the other reference i made above was to atlanta... who have the random contour/cropped side panels down pat. the Cats' shorts remind me of this style.

I can see where you're coming from now with the Magic panel. I still think they're more of a 'D' shape, whereas the 'Cats is more of a 'C', if that makes any sense. Probably just splitting hairs.

catsmagix.png

I have a harder time seeing the similarity in the Hawks' shorts though.

catshawx.png

Ultimately, we could nitpick most of the league's unis enough to find elements they share with each other. Whether it's a collar style, fonts, number/logo placement, etc; but they each have their own little tweaks that distinguish them.

What annoys me most is that the change seems so unnecessary, unless:

? They wanted to rid themselves of the worst record in league history (See 2009 Detroit Lions offseason for reference)

or...

? They meant for these to be the Anthony Davis-era unis and the conspiracy ping pong balls didn't work in their favor.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

What annoys me most is that the change seems so unnecessary, unless:

? They wanted to rid themselves of the worst record in league history (See 2009 Detroit Lions offseason for reference)

or...

? They meant for these to be the Anthony Davis-era unis and the conspiracy ping pong balls didn't work in their favor.

I think they're just looking for anything to generate interest in the team. They're abysmal from top to bottom and got screwed on the draft. When all else fails, shake up the aesthetics and hope it puts a handful of asses in the seats. At least now they can promote "the new look Bobcats."

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I think they're just looking for anything to generate interest in the team. They're abysmal from top to bottom and got screwed on the draft. When all else fails, shake up the aesthetics and hope it puts a handful of asses in the seats. At least now they can promote "the new look Bobcats."

Which is why I'm surprised that they decided to launch these during the NBA Finals. Why compete for attention in June when you can launch the unis in September during the dead of the offseason? The Bobcats will have some talking points next week for the draft, and (possibly) some news in July during the FA signing period. This just seems like an oddly-timed announcement.

Which is why I'm surprised that they decided to launch these during the NBA Finals. Why compete for attention in June when you can launch the unis in September during the dead of the offseason? The Bobcats will have some talking points next week for the draft, and (possibly) some news in July during the FA signing period. This just seems like an oddly-timed announcement.

I would imagine the product on the court is a reflection of the mismanagement behind the scenes. The Bobcats screwing up the timing of likely their lone post-season headline grab? I wouldn't expect anything less.

twitter

I really like these new Bobcats uniforms. I don't think they should have put "CATS" on the home primary, though. They should have saved that for an alternate, presuming they were eventually going to come out with one.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I think they had originally planned on announcing everything Draft night & the days following. The new colors being leaked by the NBA.com shop & FansEdge a few weeks ago kind of broke their timeline though, and then with Henderson tweeting (then deleting) a photo of the jersey from the promo shoot, there was really no point in keeping their heads in the sand about it any longer.

They should have based these on the original Charlotte Hornets uniforms (minus the pleated shorts) and used alternating color pinstripes on the jerseys. They also should have made the road uniforms Carolina blue instead of navy. It would been a reference to the original franchise, which their fans would probably like. That way if New Orleans ever changes their name they could possibly change theirs back to the Hornets.

I guess Michael Jordan can has chezburgers

i-can-has-cheezburger.jpg

The uniform does look too much like others but it is not bad, I did like the orange ones because they were unique. Either way this team needs a lot more than new uniforms, when their best player is their owner they clearly has issues.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Try to picture these in the NBA Finals. I literally can't. Its like trying to imagine a brand new color.

I cannot picture the OKC uniforms in the NBA finals...yet it just happened hours ago.

In a vacuum, these uniforms are an upgrade (I am an admitted sucker for double blue). However, they are just too Maverick-y. The font, the numbers off to the side. That is why it ends up a big downgrade. I actually like them (because there is some brightness) better than Dallas's overrated uniform, but this just looks like a lazy copycat job.

As a Timberwolves fan, I'd like to thank the Bobcats for replacing us as the "Team copying the Mavericks."

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

This change has been in the works for awhile.

Just as I stated earlier, this was a change that was started before anyone knew the hornets name would become available. It's was to late to stop. They started this back when Michael first bought the team. Which was ironically at the end of the first year they used there previous set. Seems Michael didnt have any input on the branding when Bob owned the team.

ts3iF7l.jpg?1

.:Braves...Panthers...Catamounts:.

Archived