Bobcats new colors?

frosty06306

I actually like these uniforms. Just having "Cats" on the front of the homes will take some getting used to, but I like the color scheme, even though it's nothing original in the NBA. Seems like lots of teams have the navy/light blue combo, but it's always been one of my favorite combos. Plus, the double-blue scheme makes sense in North Carolina, as both Duke and UNC are blue. (Sorry NC State fans.) I like the splash of orange too. All that said, I still think they need to return to being the Hornets in the forseeable future. If that happens, will they stick with the new color scheme (which Michael Jordan likes, namely the Carolina blue) or go back to teal and purple? I would be fine with either. I like the current colors much better, but I respect the history of teal/purple.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they're just looking for anything to generate interest in the team. They're abysmal from top to bottom and got screwed on the draft. When all else fails, shake up the aesthetics and hope it puts a handful of asses in the seats. At least now they can promote "the new look Bobcats."

Which is why I'm surprised that they decided to launch these during the NBA Finals. Why compete for attention in June when you can launch the unis in September during the dead of the offseason? The Bobcats will have some talking points next week for the draft, and (possibly) some news in July during the FA signing period. This just seems like an oddly-timed announcement.

Yea and you could argue that Brooklyn is even more desperate for attention since they made such a big deal about changing cities before the finals ended. They coud have waited unil next week before they draft to start there rebranding. Oh thats right bashing the bobcats and mj is the trendy national thing to do. My bad. I'll shut up now.

ts3iF7l.jpg?1

.:Braves...Panthers...Catamounts:.

I think they're just looking for anything to generate interest in the team. They're abysmal from top to bottom and got screwed on the draft. When all else fails, shake up the aesthetics and hope it puts a handful of asses in the seats. At least now they can promote "the new look Bobcats."

Which is why I'm surprised that they decided to launch these during the NBA Finals. Why compete for attention in June when you can launch the unis in September during the dead of the offseason? The Bobcats will have some talking points next week for the draft, and (possibly) some news in July during the FA signing period. This just seems like an oddly-timed announcement.

Yea and you could argue that Brooklyn is even more desperate for attention since they made such a big deal about changing cities before the finals ended. They coud have waited unil next week before they draft to start there rebranding. Oh thats right bashing the bobcats and mj is the trendy national thing to do. My bad. I'll shut up now.

Do you really think that the average person around the country even spends 1 second of their average day thinking about Charlotte or the Charlotte Bobcats? I hardly think that the entire nation is out to get them.

There's nothing wrong with doing something to generate interest in the team. Doing something like this during the NBA Finals is just dumb - first, if you're looking for any non-local attention, you're going to be completely overshadowed. Second, it's just a reminder to the local fans that while good teams are competing for championships, our team just redesigns their jerseys every off season.

The Brooklyn comparison is apples and oranges. That's a team moving to a new arena in a new home market trying hard to attract new fans and needs to get as quick a start as possible. I doubt they strategically chose to unveil during the playoffs, they just wanted to start ASAP. It's a whole different thing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Seriously? You'd think MJ could at least spell.

lcfkl7dqcp7e6ud36rigj9iwl.gif

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Well had they gone with CATZZ instead of CATS, I'd suspect that it would just be prep work for the potential franchise name switching that could happen in the next year or so.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to tonight's matchup between the Charlotte Hornets and YOUR Utah CATZZ!!!"

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

OKC = New York Knicks rip-off

The Nuggets totally ripped off the Pistons look, who of course took their design tips from the Miami Heat.

I could go on about the similarities between uniforms in the league. The pinstripes were a throwback to when the Hornets were in town, they are continuing that look on the side panels. I think they should have kept the pinstripes on the main part, but claiming they are ripping off another team because they modify how they recognize the NBA's past in the city is ridiculous.

The font is the same one they have been using since the team was formed, its the same as the one they used with their previous set, and a non-italicized version of the font they used on their first uniform.

The type of complaints I've read here makes it seem like they switched from the 2nd set to their 1st set (which would be a downgrade). But then again the majority of people here seem to think their first set was not only great but the best they've worn. This set isn't amazing, I think the set they had is better, and that if they really wanted to update their look they should have introduced new design elements (finding a place for the light blue, reducing the amount of orange, and modify the side paneling maybe) instead of overhauling the look, but its not as terrible as everyone is saying.

I'll agree the Cats thing is dumb, unless they change their name, they should have reserved that for a future alternate orange jersey, they definitely lose points there. These are middle of the road unis that could be greatly improved by tweaks, these are not bottom of the barrel uniforms.

Basically they aren't great, but there is a lot of overreacting in this thread

mod edit - C'mon, man

I really was joking. Hence the unnecessary caps and beating of dead horse. Humor doesn't always translate textually.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Well had they gone with CATZZ instead of CATS, I'd suspect that it would just be prep work for the potential franchise name switching that could happen in the next year or so.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to tonight's matchup between the Charlotte Hornets and YOUR Utah CATZZ!!!"

An old PIFL team in Orem beat ya to it.

You might be familiar with their logo...I think it's in the dictionary under "tacky"

UtahCatzz.png

bYhYmxh.png

OKC = New York Knicks rip-off

The Nuggets totally ripped off the Pistons look, who of course took their design tips from the Miami Heat.

I could go on about the similarities between uniforms in the league. The pinstripes were a throwback to when the Hornets were in town, they are continuing that look on the side panels. I think they should have kept the pinstripes on the main part, but claiming they are ripping off another team because they modify how they recognize the NBA's past in the city is ridiculous.

The font is the same one they have been using since the team was formed, its the same as the one they used with their previous set, and a non-italicized version of the font they used on their first uniform.

The type of complaints I've read here makes it seem like they switched from the 2nd set to their 1st set (which would be a downgrade). But then again the majority of people here seem to think their first set was not only great but the best they've worn. This set isn't amazing, I think the set they had is better, and that if they really wanted to update their look they should have introduced new design elements (finding a place for the light blue, reducing the amount of orange, and modify the side paneling maybe) instead of overhauling the look, but its not as terrible as everyone is saying.

I'll agree the Cats thing is dumb, unless they change their name, they should have reserved that for a future alternate orange jersey, they definitely lose points there. These are middle of the road unis that could be greatly improved by tweaks, these are not bottom of the barrel uniforms.

Basically they aren't great, but there is a lot of overreacting in this thread

1. OKC's looks more like the teal era Pistons than the Knicks.

2. How the hell did the Pistons rip off the Heat by going to a slightly updated version of the uniforms they wore for years, before the Heat even existed?

3.. And yes, it's the same font the (Bob)Cats have always used, but they've now assimilated it and the numbers in a way that look damn near identical to the Mavericks.

4. What's up with all this "overreacting" some of you keep bringing up? Are you that unable to have someone, or in this case the vast majority of the online community that is the CCSLC, disagree with you that the only logic you can come up with is that we're "overreacting"?

I like the logo color change. While I despise UNC athletics, it is a good color and I think in this context it doesn't scream "Tar Heels."

I'm a huge fan of formalizing them as the "Cats." Here in Charlotte, the term "Cats" is used in a variety of ways including our local transit agency (CATS), the Bobcats, and the Panthers (informally since the days of the "Cardiac Cats" back in '04). At games, the the announcer will start the cheer "Let's go 'Cats!" and you'll occasionally hear fans use the term too. In the event that the Hornets nickname cannot be returned to Charlotte, referring to them as the 'Cats is probably the next best thing. The change reinforces MJ's unspoken but pretty blatant goal to distance itself from former team owner Bob Johnson.

The uniforms are gross. I've always felt like pinstripes are a part of Charlotte's identity (be it Hornets or Bobcats), so any set that doesn't include them is bad IMO.

If they make a signing, I'm sure they want them holding up these. That's why it happened now. Same with their top draft pick.

Is it me or does the timing of introducing new colors, new wordmarks and new uniforms seem odd for Charlotte? There's much anticipation around the city here that the team could get the Hornets name back, at which point they'd have to change everything again. Does this signify Jordan and company trying to rebrand the Bobcats so they don't have to spend the money to get the Hornets name back?

And the timing is off but it almost is a signal that Charlotte isn't pursuing the Hornets name. If Charlotte does get the name back then the rebrand happens yet again.

If they do change back to the Hornets name, MJ and Jay-Z can battle to the death for the right to sell jerseys with "NETS" on the front.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

I've always thought that the Bobcats had a solid graphics package but a crappy color scheme. When I heard that they were changing their colors possibly, I was hoping that they would become the NBA's black and orange team.

Sharpen the orange, drop silver, (it seems unnecessary) and replace the Seahawks blue with black.

bobcatslogoidea-1.png

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

If they make a signing, I'm sure they want them holding up these. That's why it happened now. Same with their top draft pick.

Curious that logic hasn't affected teams before. Are they going to make a signing during the NBA Finals? I mean, from what I know, free agency starts after the Finals. It's usually the rookie photo shoot (with all the rookies) that we see new uniforms. The draft picks don't hold up uniforms, just the hats.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived