Bobcats new colors?

frosty06306

I know it's different because he wasn't the majority owner and the idea didn't come from him, but if the Browns can be named for a founding figure than I don't have a problem with another team doing it as well (though in this case the Charlotte Johnsons would sound better and have more comedic appeal than Charlotte Bobcats IMO.) Though has it ever been 100% confirmed that he did pick Bobcats to honor himself?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again though, the Browns goes back a lot longer, in a different era of naming professional sports teams. Now, they need to be a little creative, or at least not a self-centered, egotistical jerk and give a big middle finger to your fanbase that you're counting on to come out and support an expansion team.

Well even if it is proven that he named it for himself, how is it a middle finger unless the fanbase was clamoring for something else? Was there a big movement among Charlotte fans for "Flight" or "Dragons" or one of those other dumb names? I think we may be getting a little carried away here.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Bobcats to me is the name of so many junior high and high school teams that I can't take it seriously as a major league name. I know that Eagles and Tigers etc. are too, and I'd feel the same way if a brand new team selected one of those monikers as well.

Exactly. If the Lions, Bears and Tigers are being given a pass now, it's on their longevity. The Bobcats don't have that luxury.

There's also the whole "owner naming the team after himself" thing, which is especially worthy of derision.

I think Bobcats name was clever and could have worked IF the owner had been an upstanding citizen, pillar of society, revered AND if the team had been a consistent contender. Unfortunately neither ended up being the case and the name is more of a joke than anything.

Think Paul Brown for the Browns.

Like that cleaned up Bobcat, even if it does strongly evoke Memphis. The font remains horrible IMO.

Yeah the cleaned up version is their best logo. Much better than the one with spider webb basketball (Not that it a bad logo but basketball on the side is unnecessary imo).

Almost 100% positive the Bobcats didn't steal the UNCC logo, rather the other way around. That logo has been apart of the Bobcats package since 2007/08. UNCC didn't rebrand their university logos until August of 2008 per http://brand.uncc.edu/introduction. Hopefully that quells the talk of stealing logos from Charlotte. Didn't think this would be necessary but apparently it was.

Incorrect. UNC Charlotte has used the crown logo since 1987. The 'rebranding' that came in 2008 only slightly modified the crown logo. In the 1987 version the bar under the crown used to be a straight line, the 2008 version has a 'bent' bar.

http://www.ms.uky.edu/~droyster/courses/fall99/math4181/uncc.gif

As far as the Bobcats go, I liked the orange and wish they would have kept that a primary color. The new unis are only further ripping whatever 'Bobcats brand' they had to shreds. Wake me up when they get the Hornets back here in Charlotte.

Ah, I could have sworn it was something else beforehand, I apologize.

I guess you could say you overreacted.

You know what, you could say that.

How Bobcats primary logo should look imo:

WsAed.png

Doesn't this team have enough of a problem already with looking way too much like other teams?

793.gifrviy7fbgmhz5ht2dpgo6q0jfu.gif

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Bobcats to me is the name of so many junior high and high school teams that I can't take it seriously as a major league name. I know that Eagles and Tigers etc. are too, and I'd feel the same way if a brand new team selected one of those monikers as well.

Exactly. If the Lions, Bears and Tigers are being given a pass now, it's on their longevity. The Bobcats don't have that luxury.

See, when I think of types of names that wouldn't work today, yet get a pass due to their longevity I think of stuff like the Reds, Red Sox, and White Sox. Or something like the old Montreal Maroons hockey team. I don't think of names like "Lions," "Tigers," "Eagles," "Bears," or even "Bobcats" as no longer viable. To me they're all just as viable now as they would have been decades ago. In that vein Bobcats isn't a terrible nickname.

There's also the whole "owner naming the team after himself" thing, which is especially worthy of derision.

Why though? It's not like he named the team the Charlotte Bobs. It's not like he just stuck "Bob" onto a name that it didn't work with (Charlotte BobDragons, anyone?). A bobcat is the name of an animal found in the region the team represents. Even on its own "Bobcats" works, which is why I don't see the problem with the "Bob Johnson named the team after himself" argument.

The worst part of all this may be the (again) recolored "primary" logo. As bad as the often used secondary looks this one looks way worse. I'm glad we'll rarely see it in use.

Picture24.png

That just looks bad. The wordmark pops more and now becomes the focus of the logo. However, I have to disagree with your second statement - I actually don't mind how the recoloured secondary looks.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Seriously, what was wrong with these?

gerald-wallace-033.jpg

wallace_chat_200.jpg

That was a top-10 look in the NBA. Now they've devolved into somehow ripping off the Magic, Mavs, and Thunder at the same time.

They were bad. Clearly the best thing they have worn, but still not good. The red-orange was alright, but that shade of blue looked bad with it. Then they thew in black, which also looked really bad with that shade of blue. The side panels are crappy, the wordmark is bad, the v-neck in back was dumb, and the number font was horrible.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived