Bobcats new colors?

frosty06306

their pinstripe look was one of my favorite sets. these seem unnecessary and rushed. its also kind of weird they used the old Nike template. at least.. a variation of it.

few more pics from the Bobcats website.

home:

120620_jersey_02.jpg

120620_jersey_04.jpg

away:

120620_jersey_12.jpg

120620_jersey_15.jpg

bonus:

120620_jersey_18.jpg

Well, the road uniform is actually pretty good, IMO. The home uniform is a whole 'nother story, though, wow. Not feeling the wordmark OR the color of the number at all.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must say, I've always thought the 'Bobcats' nickname was very generic sounding. Now the team is going by an even more generic name: 'Cats.'

"Bobcats" is no more generic then names like "Bears," "Eagles," "Lions," "Tigers," or even "Hornets."

As for the use of "Cats," why is it worse then the Knickerbockers using "Knicks," or the SuperSonics' use of "Sonics"?

Fact is, the Bobcats brand has been totally ineffective, and anything based off of that (ie, Cats) will likely also be ineffective. I think it's Hornets or bust.

Fact is the Hornets moved to New Orleans, for better or worse. That's where that team is now, even if they do rebrand. The Bobcats still won't be your beloved Hornets of yesteryear. Even if they did get the rights to the name they'd still be a 2004 expansion team.

It wouldn't change anything, it would just be intellectually dishonest.

I must say, I've always thought the 'Bobcats' nickname was very generic sounding. Now the team is going by an even more generic name: 'Cats.'

"Bobcats" is no more generic then names like "Bears," "Eagles," "Lions," "Tigers," or even "Hornets."

As for the use of "Cats," why is it worse then the Knickerbockers using "Knicks," or the SuperSonics' use of "Sonics"?

Those were shortened versions of much longer names. Plus, "Knicks" and "Sonics" are still very distinctive on their own. All the Bobcats did was ditch 3 letters from an already pretty short nickname, which left them with a very generic name. "Cats" is an animal that lays around your house. With "Cats" you need something in front of it to make it a more, or at least somewhat, distinctive name. Wildcats, Bearcats, Bobcats.

And Bobcats may not be generic (amateurish, maybe), but "Cats" is. And that's the issue with these.

First, Bobcats is way more generic than Hornets. For Charlotte, Hornets isn't generic at all because it has a very historic meaning in the state. As for the other names, that's exactly my point: Bobcats is in the same very generic catagory as Bears, Eagles, Lions and Tigers.

Almost 100% positive the Bobcats didn't steal the UNCC logo, rather the other way around. That logo has been apart of the Bobcats package since 2007/08. UNCC didn't rebrand their university logos until August of 2008 per http://brand.uncc.edu/introduction. Hopefully that quells the talk of stealing logos from Charlotte. Didn't think this would be necessary but apparently it was.

Incorrect. UNC Charlotte has used the crown logo since 1987. The 'rebranding' that came in 2008 only slightly modified the crown logo. In the 1987 version the bar under the crown used to be a straight line, the 2008 version has a 'bent' bar.

http://www.ms.uky.edu/~droyster/courses/fall99/math4181/uncc.gif

As far as the Bobcats go, I liked the orange and wish they would have kept that a primary color. The new unis are only further ripping whatever 'Bobcats brand' they had to shreds. Wake me up when they get the Hornets back here in Charlotte.

Ah, I could have sworn it was something else beforehand, I apologize.

I guess you could say you overreacted.

First, Bobcats is way more generic than Hornets. For Charlotte, Hornets isn't generic at all because it has a very historic meaning in the state.

I'm aware of the Revolutionary War roots of the Hornets name in North Carolina, but really, it's irrelevant. Why you ask? Well the Hornets never really went that route did they? They never played up why the name has a historical connection.

As for the name Bobcats, well just like Hornets it has a connection to the area. Bobcats live in the Carolinas. Making the claim that the name's "generic" even more dubious. Like the Hornets name, the name Bocats is the name of an animal. Like "Hornets" it has a connection to the locale.

As for the other names, that's exactly my point: Bobcats is in the same very generic catagory as Bears, Eagles, Lions and Tigers.

And yet neither you or anyone else is suggesting that the Detroit Lions, Detroit Tigers, Chicago Bears, or Philadelphia Eagles change names. So why are the Bobcat singled out? If anything it's a less generic name then Bears or Eagles.

The only reason I can find for why people seem to harp on the perceived generic (or "amateur") nature of the Bobcats' name is because they aren't named the Hornets. It's not even like Hornets is that much better a name, really. It's just that people have fond memories of them, mostly because they were kind of good in their time, and were one of the first teams to wear teal and purple before it became a trend.

And hey, I love sentimental nostalgia as much as the next guy, but the team that was the Hornets moved. Nothing's going to change the fact that the same franchise that people have fond memories of constantly getting bounced from the playoffs by better teams is now in New Orleans. That's true now, and it'll still be true even if they do change their name from the Hornets to something else.

The team you know have in Charlotte's still going to be a 2004 expansion team. Even if you dress them up like the old Hornets. You'll just be lying to yourself.

As for the other names, that's exactly my point: Bobcats is in the same very generic catagory as Bears, Eagles, Lions and Tigers.

And yet neither you or anyone else is suggesting that the Detroit Lions, Detroit Tigers, Chicago Bears, or Philadelphia Eagles change names. So why are the Bobcat singled out?

Because the Bobcats are a modern franchise that had the opportunity to name itself something other than the Bobcats. They had a clean slate to work with and went with Sam's Choice.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

And yet neither you or anyone else is suggesting that the Detroit Lions, Detroit Tigers, Chicago Bears, or Philadelphia Eagles change names. So why are the Bobcat singled out?

Because the Bobcats are a modern franchise that had the opportunity to name itself something other than the Bobcats. They had a clean slate to work with and went with Sam's Choice.

Thing is, they kind of went with the best choice when they opted to go with Bobcats. Flight and Dragons were the other two considered at the time. Dragons could have worked, but it really does walk a fine line between respectable and silly. Flight is regionally significant (then again so is Bobcats) but it comes off as, for lack of a better term, way to WNBA-ish.

Bobcats isn't a name that sets the world on fire by any means, I just don't think it's as bad as some people make it out to be.

Almost 100% positive the Bobcats didn't steal the UNCC logo, rather the other way around. That logo has been apart of the Bobcats package since 2007/08. UNCC didn't rebrand their university logos until August of 2008 per http://brand.uncc.edu/introduction. Hopefully that quells the talk of stealing logos from Charlotte. Didn't think this would be necessary but apparently it was.

Incorrect. UNC Charlotte has used the crown logo since 1987. The 'rebranding' that came in 2008 only slightly modified the crown logo. In the 1987 version the bar under the crown used to be a straight line, the 2008 version has a 'bent' bar.

http://www.ms.uky.edu/~droyster/courses/fall99/math4181/uncc.gif

As far as the Bobcats go, I liked the orange and wish they would have kept that a primary color. The new unis are only further ripping whatever 'Bobcats brand' they had to shreds. Wake me up when they get the Hornets back here in Charlotte.

Ah, I could have sworn it was something else beforehand, I apologize.

I can verify what Mr. Bojangles said. I was a student when the "re-branding" happened. There are still some signs around campus that have the older version of the crown.

---

I am a Bobcats fan as well (the fifth here?) but I absolutely HATE the tarholes and everything about that university academically and athletically, including their use of baby blue. Having said that, when you look at the old colors next to the new colors on the logo itself it's hard to not notice just how big of an improvement the new colorization is. Or maybe it just shows how horrible the old colors were.

107us1y.jpg

I think the biggest problem with the old colors was that Seahawk/Slate blue. It just doesn't work well at all against orange. If they had just ditched that shade, and gone with a tried and true navy & orange, that would've been an improvement in and of itself, but Jordan clearly wanted to put his stamp on the team by adding his own cool gray & Carolina colors.

catsthumb.png

I don't have a dog in the fight as far as UNC/Duke/NCState/etc. goes, since I go to UNC Charlotte, but I think it looks good.

Is there still a two-year wait before they can introduce an alternate uni in this design? Or is that an old rule? Interested to see how they'll color those.

I think the biggest problem with the old colors was that Seahawk/Slate blue. It just doesn't work well at all against orange. If they had just ditched that shade, and gone with a tried and true navy & orange, that would've been an improvement in and of itself, but Jordan clearly wanted to put his stamp on the team by adding his own cool gray & Carolina colors.

catsthumb.png

I don't have a dog in the fight as far as UNC/Duke/NCState/etc. goes, since I go to UNC Charlotte, but I think it looks good.

Is there still a two-year wait before they can introduce an alternate uni in this design? Or is that an old rule? Interested to see how they'll color those.

You have plenty of reasons to despise the holes as a Charlotte student. The list is almost neverending, the mothership just doesn't want you to know about any of it. NinerNation.net is a good place to start.

GO NINERS!

You have plenty of reasons to despise the holes as a Charlotte student. The list is almost neverending, the mothership just doesn't want you to know about any of it. NinerNation.net is a good place to start.

GO NINERS!

Ah, I was talking more in a basketball rivalries sense. Most of the backlash against using the Carolina that I've heard has come from State/Duke basketball fans. I was just saying since Charlotte doesn't have a real basketball rivalry with Chapel it doesn't really bug me, personally. I'll check the site though!

Yeah,that's why I thought people were so hard on the name. But be careful what you wish for. You may get the "Heat", "Magic", "Flight" or, worse yet, the "Wild." I'd take it all back and be the "Minnesota Eagles" over the "Minnesota Wild" in a heartbeat. Sure it would have sounded "generic"* but at least it would have made sense.

*I think it's more about being "unoriginal" and that's the problem. If you cannot pick a name that anyone else has ever used, then you almost have to pick something stupid.

I am OK with Bobcats and I really hope they don't play musical chairs with these nicknames (ie. a new name for New Orleans, and a re-name to Hornets...or worse, trying to include the Jazz, though I don't think that will happen)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Thing is, they kind of went with the best choice when they opted to go with Bobcats. Flight and Dragons were the other two considered at the time. Dragons could have worked, but it really does walk a fine line between respectable and silly. Flight is regionally significant (then again so is Bobcats) but it comes off as, for lack of a better term, way to WNBA-ish.

Bobcats isn't a name that sets the world on fire by any means, I just don't think it's as bad as some people make it out to be.

Well technically they only gave themselves those three choices, so it's not like they played the hand they were dealt - they selected the cards.

Bobcats to me is the name of so many junior high and high school teams that I can't take it seriously as a major league name. I know that Eagles and Tigers etc. are too, and I'd feel the same way if a brand new team selected one of those monikers as well.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Bobcats to me is the name of so many junior high and high school teams that I can't take it seriously as a major league name. I know that Eagles and Tigers etc. are too, and I'd feel the same way if a brand new team selected one of those monikers as well.

Exactly. If the Lions, Bears and Tigers are being given a pass now, it's on their longevity. The Bobcats don't have that luxury.

There's also the whole "owner naming the team after himself" thing, which is especially worthy of derision.

Archived