Bobcats new colors?

frosty06306

I loved the Bobcats' original set, and I thought the last pinstriped set was just unnecessary and boring. This set? It's got ideas that I either like or don't mind, but the execution is just terrible.

I like the introduction of light/"Carolina" blue, but it shouldn't have been paired with navy. If they were going to go with the Carolina blue they should have ran with it and dropped navy entirely. This would have let them avoid looking like a bunch of clueless dorks who jumped on the double blue bandwagon ten years to late, and it would have given them a unique colour scheme (lighter then royal blue and orange). It's a colour scheme people have wanted to see the Clippers go back to, and Carolina really could have beaten them to the punch.

I don't mind the shortening of "BOBCATS" to "CATS," and I really don't see why there's so much opposition to it. The Knickerbockers use Knicks, and the SuperSonics always wore Sonics. So why can't the Bobcats wear Cats? Like the introduction of Carolina blue, however, the execution messes it up. The font used for the text, and the way the CATS text and front numbers are arranged really do scream Dallas Mavericks, a point emphasized by the side panels and the needless use of navy.

A few neat concepts that just didn't pan out. Shame.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked the original set best, but even that had a strange creative bankruptcy about it. "Our team colors will be a sort of shiny light burnt orange and kind of a darker slate blue." Doesn't really whip up a lot of team pride. I don't know why they've insisted on keeping the ugly typeface all this time. Just let it go.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

As far as colors, I think they could have changed to a light blue and a red sort of like North Carolina's license plates. They could have also loosely tied it into representing North Carolina and NC State hoops since it is a college basketball market.

NorthCarolinaColorsPlate.jpg

And if they don't like the name Bobcats, I still think a name involving aviation would work.

Honestly, I'm starting to like the fact that it says "Cats" ...even if for no other reason than it implicitly de-emphasizes Bob Johnson's self-fellating influence on the teams' identity. :D

As far as colors, I think they could have changed to a light blue and a red sort of like North Carolina's license plates. They could have also loosely tied it into representing North Carolina and NC State hoops since it is a college basketball market.

NorthCarolinaColorsPlate.jpg

And if they don't like the name Bobcats, I still think a name involving aviation would work.

Duke blue is on the plates as well, o not only could they have hit both the double-blue and red alternate trends at once, but they'd have had a regionally-appropriate reason for doing it.

I can't put it any simpler than this: there is nothing about the new uniforms that I like. Nothing. Hate the font. The blues are already overdone in the NBA and I don't like how they're used in this setup. Disappointed to see the marginalization of orange. I hate the use of "CATS," especially since that moniker is so tied to collegiate (albeit successful: Kentucky, Villanova, Arizona, K-State) programs. The side panels, especially the manner in which they are cut, are awkward, and filling them with pinstripes (is that supposed to be a nod to the Hornets?) just makes them all the less attractive. The crown C is unoriginal seeing as how the local university already uses something similar. And the Bobcat logo gives off yet another collegiate vibe. North Carolina already has its fair share of college basketball programs. I don't understand why the state's only NBA franchise finds a need to glom on to a quasi-collegiate identity in order to market itself.

I can't put it any simpler than this: there is nothing about the new uniforms that I like. Nothing. Hate the font. The blues are already overdone in the NBA and I don't like how they're used in this setup. Disappointed to see the marginalization of orange. I hate the use of "CATS," especially since that moniker is so tied to collegiate (albeit successful: Kentucky, Villanova, Arizona, K-State) programs. The side panels, especially the manner in which they are cut, are awkward, and filling them with pinstripes (is that supposed to be a nod to the Hornets?) just makes them all the less attractive. The crown C is unoriginal seeing as how the local university already uses something similar. And the Bobcat logo gives off yet another collegiate vibe. North Carolina already has its fair share of college basketball programs. I don't understand why the state's only NBA franchise finds a need to glom on to a quasi-collegiate identity in order to market itself.

i'll co-sign this sentiment. well said, sir.

Almost 100% positive the Bobcats didn't steal the UNCC logo, rather the other way around. That logo has been apart of the Bobcats package since 2007/08. UNCC didn't rebrand their university logos until August of 2008 per http://brand.uncc.edu/introduction. Hopefully that quells the talk of stealing logos from Charlotte. Didn't think this would be necessary but apparently it was.

I actually like the look from last year, some articles read that they couldn't match up their lie with the blue on the merchandise,

But if they just kept the same set and maybe changes the blue or something, that woul be fine. I feel like last years set was so nice, and unique from the rest. Now it's bland

Almost 100% positive the Bobcats didn't steal the UNCC logo, rather the other way around. That logo has been apart of the Bobcats package since 2007/08. UNCC didn't rebrand their university logos until August of 2008 per http://brand.uncc.edu/introduction. Hopefully that quells the talk of stealing logos from Charlotte. Didn't think this would be necessary but apparently it was.

Incorrect. UNC Charlotte has used the crown logo since 1987. The 'rebranding' that came in 2008 only slightly modified the crown logo. In the 1987 version the bar under the crown used to be a straight line, the 2008 version has a 'bent' bar.

http://www.ms.uky.edu/~droyster/courses/fall99/math4181/uncc.gif

As far as the Bobcats go, I liked the orange and wish they would have kept that a primary color. The new unis are only further ripping whatever 'Bobcats brand' they had to shreds. Wake me up when they get the Hornets back here in Charlotte.

They could sort of be okay if not for the contrasting name and numbers. The navy with powder blue outline doesn't quite look right especially with the number being the opposite. I don't like shortening the name to just "Cats", either. The road looks better than the home.

I must say, I've always thought the 'Bobcats' nickname was very generic sounding. Now the team is going by an even more generic name: 'Cats.' Fact is, the Bobcats brand has been totally ineffective, and anything based off of that (ie, Cats) will likely also be ineffective. I think it's Hornets or bust.

Incorrect. UNC Charlotte has used the crown logo since 1987. The 'rebranding' that came in 2008 only slightly modified the crown logo. In the 1987 version the bar under the crown used to be a straight line, the 2008 version has a 'bent' bar.

http://www.ms.uky.edu/~droyster/courses/fall99/math4181/uncc.gif

As far as the Bobcats go, I liked the orange and wish they would have kept that a primary color. The new unis are only further ripping whatever 'Bobcats brand' they had to shreds. Wake me up when they get the Hornets back here in Charlotte.

Ah, I could have sworn it was something else beforehand, I apologize.

So stupid, that they have to keep it as a primary.

I know the nba has a big fee for changing primary logo's but there should be something where they could make an alternate mark the primary for not so much after a certain amount of years.

So stupid, that they have to keep it as a primary.

I know the nba has a big fee for changing primary logo's but there should be something where they could make an alternate mark the primary for not so much after a certain amount of years.

The rule was a good idea, but teams just found their way around it. I'm not really annoyed by it since you almost never see the official primary anyway. Teams use the alternate on their uniforms and court and most media just uses the main alternate logo as well.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived