2012 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats to Calvin, but this team is awful and there's a lot of empty stats there. On the other hand, he's been the only offensive weapon for the Lions still healthy for the last 6 weeks and putting up those numbers being double covered on almost every play is still very impressive.

Exactly. Lots of yardage in garbage time, but we haven't had Burleson, Young, or Broyles for the last few games, so I think it says a little bit more (not that it means much). Gruden demeaning him after he broke the record was totally classless, though.

The #3 pick right now, with the way Mayhew drafts, could be a blessing.

How crazy that we could see Rice's receiving record and Dickerson's rushing record fall in the same season, hell, even in the same division.

Wow. Totally didn't catch Gruden's line:

"They don't keep a statistic for meaningless yardage, Calvin Johnson record tarnished."

Out of place, indeed. And Larry Fitzgerald enters himself into evidence that playing on a terrible team doesn't mean he's bound to get tons of garbage yards.

Nice record, but it doesn't remotely mean Johnson and that childish nickname of his is better the great Jerry Rice.

Records =/= Winning

...and, dude, no one said he was. Everyone knows Jerry Rice is the best receiver in NFL history, regardless of what happened tonight.

spacer.png

Well, Khan wants the publicity with Tebow and he is already getting it. "Tebow to Jaguars" is the #1 search right now on Yahoo

ESPN's totally misleading headline of "Tebow to Jaguars a virtual certainty" shows that despite their company president saying their Tebow coverage had gone astray that they're more than happy to remain amuck in their own journalism feces.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Well, Khan wants the publicity with Tebow and he is already getting it. "Tebow to Jaguars" is the #1 search right now on Yahoo

ESPN's totally misleading headline of "Tebow to Jaguars a virtual certainty" shows that despite their company president saying their Tebow coverage had gone astray that they're more than happy to remain amuck in their own journalism feces.

Yup. Just like when schools say they are happy in their conference then bolt 3 months later. People will lie to your face for the sake of that dollar. Money is the most powerful thing I have seen with my own two eyes. More powerful than God.

Per Schefter:

And @mortreport reports it's "a virtual certainty" that Tim Tebow will play in 2013 for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

While the Jags seem like the only NFL option for Tebs, I'm not exactly sure what Mortensen is basing his story on. :blink:

They're the only club I see putting him on their roster.

If they don't bite, then he's out of the league.

"They don't keep a statistic for meaningless yardage, Calvin Johnson record tarnished."

Out of place, indeed. And Larry Fitzgerald enters himself into evidence that playing on a terrible team doesn't mean he's bound to get tons of garbage yards.

Nice record, but it doesn't remotely mean Johnson and that childish nickname of his is better the great Jerry Rice.

Records =/= Winning

...and, dude, no one said he was. Everyone knows Jerry Rice is the best receiver in NFL history, regardless of what happened tonight.

Time will tell. When all is said and done, Calvin Johnson might well end up being the best receiver in NFL history—or he may not be. Either way, barring a freak injury that guy's got a lot of game left in him, so let's just sit back and enjoy the show while its in progress, shall we?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Records =/= Winning

Time will tell. When all is said and done, Calvin Johnson might well end up being the best receiver in NFL history—or he may not be. Either way, barring a freak injury that guy's got a lot of game left in him, so let's just sit back and enjoy the show while its in progress, shall we?

Bingo. Tonight is one (actually, many other smaller ones too, just can't remember what they all were) record, not a career. Rice played what, 19 seasons? Calvin is in his 6th, and we're talking about potentially the first 2,000 receiving yard season ever. The ceiling here is high, but I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks he passed Rice as GOAT tonight. Like Buc said, time will tell.

-----

EDIT: I also just wanted to make sure everyone knew this happened tonight: that's Stefan Logan taking a knee at the 4 on a free kick following a safety. And Schwartz's reaction. Following last week's running into your own guy and muffing a punt, he had a tough act to follow. Bravo, sir.

407192_10151160055801006_871354994_n.jpg

Interesting fan-made infographic, unsure of it's numbers (Jags tix are among the easiest to procure in the NFL) but it's food for thought.

s6eqq.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I wonder how many yards Jerry Rice picked up in garbage time while the 49ers were blowing teams out. It works both ways.

I'm back in Columbus for the holidays and I just learned that after the Bengals-Steelers game today we have to go to my uncle's house for our family Christmas get-together. Him and the rest of the family are Steelers fans (don't ask me why, they're from western Ohio. So, your standard Steeler fan with no connection to the city of Pittsburgh). Needless to say, a Bengals loss and I'm in for an incredibly annoying evening.

The stakes just got raised. This is the most important Bengals-Steelers game in my life as a Bengals fan. They HAVE to win or things will get uncomfortable with the relatives later.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I wonder how many yards Jerry Rice picked up in garbage time while the 49ers were blowing teams out. It works both ways.

Rice also got the record with Steve Young throwing to him, while Megatron had to make do with Matt Stafford.

Hell, Isaac Bruce's 1,781 yards in 1995 might be more impressive than Rice's old record because he did it with washed-up Chris Miller throwing to him.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

And that's why Gruden's argument is stupid. Unless you're willing to parse out "yards caught while the outcome of game was in doubt," receiving yards are receiving yards.

I wonder how much of it is dismissive of Calvin Johnson, and how much is "players were obs better in my day lol."

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Interesting fan-made infographic, unsure of it's numbers (Jags tix are among the easiest to procure in the NFL) but it's food for thought.

s6eqq.jpg

It's all well and good, but the problem so many Jags fans run into with the "why don't we move the Bengals or Bucs?" argument is that, simply put, all of the markets Jacksonville might be outdrawing are still more valuable to the NFL then Jacksonville is. The NFL is not the NHL. It's not gate driven. The NFL makes its money off of tv contracts and tv ratings. And when you take that into account Jacksonville's a liability to the NFL, not an asset.

The NFL can get better tv deals with a team in LA instead of Jacksonville, and the potential for high ratings is greater in LA then it is in Jacksonville. Not to mention that a team in LA would instantly be worth more then a team in Jacksonville, which would make the NFL more valuable on the whole.

Now I'm not going to jump on the "Jags fans don't show up" bandwagon, but I will say that showing up does NOT make Jacksonville a more valuable market then Cincinnati or Miami, and it doesn't take them out of relocation talks. In terms of markets the NFL could trade away to gain the LA market Jacksonville is the most expendable from a television standpoint. Which is, ultimately, what matters from the NFL's perspective.

s6eqq.jpg

The Jags have better attendance than the Bears and Steelers? I find that hard to believe.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived