2012 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andy Reid's son Garrett was found dead this morning at Eagles training camp. No word yet on how.

edit: I guess he's had a history with drugs, so that may have been the culprit, but no official word.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Andy Reid's son Garrett was found dead this morning at Eagles training camp. No word yet on how.

edit: I guess he's had a history with drugs, so that may have been the culprit, but no official word.

I remember a few years ago both his sons went to prison because of drugs maybe this will send a message to the other one.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I remember a few years ago both his sons went to prison because of drugs maybe this will send a message to the other one.

He had been working with the team for the past few off seasons, which is why he was in a Lehigh University dorm room to begin with. It certainly seems like it was a drug relapse, but nothing official has been said yet.

As much as I despise Andy Reid as a human and think he's a horrible father for continuing to put 16 hrs/day on the job and abandoning his family while his kids were off getting in trouble with guns and drugs (dealing, using, smuggling in to prison, etc.) it did seem like this kid was on the right track, and that Andy Reid was at least involving him in his life a little bit (though IMO it should be the other way around - "bring your kid to work" isn't a substitute for actual parenting, but HE'S A FOOTBALL COACH and if he took a day off they might miss an opportunity to hit a 5-yard slant.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

WR Devin Thomas, best known for stints with the Giants and Redskins, signed w/ the Bears in the offseason, but has decided to retire and pursue coaching, based on this tweet:

God has blessed me w achieving a childhood dream. I want to give back to my hometown and coach/mentor kids so they can reach their own. 1LUV

He's only 25 years old, one of the youngest retirements I can remember, but certainly not unheard of.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

WR Devin Thomas, best known for stints with the Giants and Redskins, signed w/ the Bears in the offseason, but has decided to retire and pursue coaching, based on this tweet:

God has blessed me w achieving a childhood dream. I want to give back to my hometown and coach/mentor kids so they can reach their own. 1LUV

He's only 25 years old, one of the youngest retirements I can remember, but certainly not unheard of.

Probably because he wasn't going to make the team. even for special teams. WR wise the bears are actually decent this year.

Marshall

Bennett

Jeffrey

Hester

and the 5th slot is open for Knox, Weems, or Sanzenbacher

Glen Coffee retired after only one season 2 years ago during training camp because he said that his heart was never in the game and God had another plan for him.

I always respected Coffee for that

Probably because he wasn't going to make the team. even for special teams. WR wise the bears are actually decent this year.

Marshall

Bennett

Jeffrey

Hester

and the 5th slot is open for Knox, Weems, or Sanzenbacher

Glen Coffee retired after only one season 2 years ago during training camp because he said that his heart was never in the game and God had another plan for him.

I always respected Coffee for that

Right, I don't fault Devin for leaving. There's more to life than football, and considering he'd already won a title and had his health, this other opportunity to do something more meaningful than compete for a roster spot won out. He was playing on a minimum contract anyway.

twitter

HE'S A FOOTBALL COACH and if he took a day off they might miss an opportunity to hit a 5-yard slant.)

Which probably explains why he's going to coach that all-important preseason game this Thursday. Sure hope they can get that funeral in by Wednesday. I'd hate for the Eagles to fall behind everyone else over something as silly as a the death of the head coach's son. Gotta stay focused on what's important! [/sarcasm]

Honest to God, what the :censored: is wrong with these people?

OK, let's be fair. Apparently, Morman faith dictates a 3-day mourning period and then a return to regular actions. I'll also give him that in this case, getting back to work could be a good coping mechanism. I'll criticize him from the sidelies for how he got to this point (and no, I'm not saying that I know with 100% certainty that even if he was there 24/7 for his kids that something bad wouldn't have happened... but I think the risk would have been reduced) but now that he's here, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because there's no running or hiding from this.

His players (current and former) were so emotional today that you'd have thought it was their son. Point being, the players and other coaches could serve a role as a support system. I want to find fault in him for that, but I can't. Regardless of the reasons that it might not be coming from his family (and I wonder if his job dedication / family issues is a chicken-or-egg type thing) it needs to come from somewhere.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

HE'S A FOOTBALL COACH and if he took a day off they might miss an opportunity to hit a 5-yard slant.)

Which probably explains why he's going to coach that all-important preseason game this Thursday. Sure hope they can get that funeral in by Wednesday. I'd hate for the Eagles to fall behind everyone else over something as silly as a the death of the head coach's son. Gotta stay focused on what's important! [/sarcasm]

Honest to God, what the :censored: is wrong with these people?

OK, let's be fair. Apparently, Morman faith dictates a 3-day mourning period and then a return to regular actions. I'll also give him that in this case, getting back to work could be a good coping mechanism. I'll criticize him from the sidelies for how he got to this point (and no, I'm not saying that I know with 100% certainty that even if he was there 24/7 for his kids that something bad wouldn't have happened... but I think the risk would have been reduced) but now that he's here, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because there's no running or hiding from this.

His players (current and former) were so emotional today that you'd have thought it was their son. Point being, the players and other coaches could serve a role as a support system. I want to find fault in him for that, but I can't. Regardless of the reasons that it might not be coming from his family (and I wonder if his job dedication / family issues is a chicken-or-egg type thing) it needs to come from somewhere.

Fair enough. Consider me educated on the matter and I retract my earlier post. That was excellent, Vet.

BB52Big.jpg

I dunno how he did it, but Terrell Owens is now a Seattle Seahwak.

Not sure either but Seattle must have seen something in him.

The book on him last year was teams were interested but didn't want to take a chance with his knee.

I actually feel pretty bad for Owens. He's trying to come back because he's got nothing else in his life and needs money even though by all accounts he was not a major spender during his career. It would be one of thing if he paying ailmony for 50 kids like Evander Holyfield or just doing malicious acts off the field like Pacman Jones, but his problems seem to stem more from misguided trust and stupidity then anything else. I can only fault someone like that so much.

I dunno how he did it, but Terrell Owens is now a Seattle Seahwak.

SEA also signed Braylon Edwards on Sunday. Sidney Rice and his labrum/shoulder now has 11 anchors in it, Golden Tate is just in his second year, so the rest of the WR corps is essentially UFA rookies.

They got rid of Antonio Bryant after a week to sign Edwards. Winslow and Zach Miller will be at TE, most likely.

Then again, who will be their QB?

Archived