Uniforms that should be thrownback

kajeet

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't recall the Jazz ever throwing back to the Pistol Pete set:

Pete-Maravich.jpg

It'd be a nice thing to do when the franchise turns 40 in 2014.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

The dodgers don't usually throwback but I think next time they play they A's in Oakland or they Yankees in New York, they should wear these which is what the road uniform looked like when they won the ws in '81 and '88

piazza01.jpg

Back in the 80s, more teams wore their team name on their away jerseys (the Dodgers, Mets, Angels, Royals). I think it looked a lot neater than the long city/state names that are currently being used. I wish teams would go back to this look. I'd also like to see teams such as the Giants and Padres go back to using initials on their away jerseys. I just don't like long names on jerseys.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Don Coryell era Charger uniforms!

chargers.jpg

Great uniform. The Chargers need to either go back to this look or the powder blues with white helmet. The current Charger uniform is too bland. The white helmet doesn't work with the navy uniform.

Like I'm not going to take full advantage of this opportunity? B)

roman_gabriel_1970_12_06.jpgButch%20Robertson.JPG2837d1330653782-rams-jerseys-remembered-part-iii-iv-numbers-51-75-isiah-robertson.jpg

Not only should it be a throwback, the Rams should switch to this full time.

I like it as a throwback, but I think it's too bland for full-time use. I remember when the Rams wore these and I always thought the away uniform looked better than the home version. I never liked the striping on the home jersey.

roman_gabriel_1970_12_06.jpgButch%20Robertson.JPG2837d1330653782-rams-jerseys-remembered-part-iii-iv-numbers-51-75-isiah-robertson.jpg

I like it as a throwback, but I think it's too bland for full-time use. I remember when the Rams wore these and I always thought the away uniform looked better than the home version. I never liked the striping on the home jersey.

the home jersey looks like Penn State

o wait.

spacer.png

spacer.png

de343e68411347a18c86ca300ba709df965c81f7.jpg?x=318&y=400&sig=33ef35fdb9d0bf750cc1f17060a9b4a2

According to gridiron database, these were used as throwbacks in 1994 but I can't find a picture.

They were worn in 1994 (both home and road if I'm remembering correctly). There used to be a website that had photos of all the 75th Anniversary throwbacks but I can't find it anymore; I guess the owner took it down.

It was actually a chat board that had plenty of 75th anniversary uniforms ..... never posted the away version tho'

cinnpickens.jpg

Now that you mention it the Bengals may have wound up wearing the home throwback twice instead of wearing an away throwback - I thought all teams had to wear the throwbacks twice (once home and once road) but I could just not be remembering correctly.

I read they just scraped the stripes off and put BENGALS and you can tell in that picture. Why were some of the 1994 throwbacks just poorly done like the bills. They just slapped the old buffalo on a red helmet.

That is probably correct - the Bengals have always been one of the tightest teams in the league, plus back then the Bengals were using tiger stripe decals instead of painted stripes. A lot of teams really half-assed the 1994 throwbacks back then because it was up to the teams to research and pay for them. These days the teams (for the most part) do a much better job researching their old looks (the Bills still being an exception - how could they do their 1960s home jerseys so right and still get the road jerseys so wrong?) and likely Reebok or Nike is willing to pay for them as part of their all-encompassing uniform deals.

I just found some pictures of these throwbacks in action and there're not as bad as I thought from looking at that other picture.

81875384-football-cincinnati-bengals-harold-green-in-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QR048E%2buTj8%2bfcMzP7dE0B0gwl5XAL48%2fFEAA%2bJ6GDugIodrEbpoUQ7KQD7eM1qlM9MD7XbBUhImu8Mio627p4E%3d

81875246-football-closeup-of-cincinnati-bengals-eric-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QcpRrN2QU0M3EV1l8C5l8D4ztUpFMdEfN%2fJvrTxH89MN5QV9FrwEH%2fAAsrEAlg2VcyK9erUnIbQhxYWjH62xr1o%3d

I remember when the Rams wore these and I always thought the away uniform looked better than the home version. I never liked the striping on the home jersey.

I was always under the impression that the white jersey was the home jersey and, for all intents and purposes, the away jersey as well. Didn't I read that they hardly ever wore the blue jersey?

uta-big-sam-little-uta.png

I remember when the Rams wore these and I always thought the away uniform looked better than the home version. I never liked the striping on the home jersey.

I was always under the impression that the white jersey was the home jersey and, for all intents and purposes, the away jersey as well. Didn't I read that they hardly ever wore the blue jersey?

Right. About the only time the 60s Rams wore blue was at Dallas. Otherwise, it was all white all the time. They did wear blue for some home games in 1972, but that was the last year for those unis.

Since the official colors of the team always remained royal blue and gold, I never liked the blue and white set. I would only want to see them again as occasional throwbacks (if at all).

de343e68411347a18c86ca300ba709df965c81f7.jpg?x=318&y=400&sig=33ef35fdb9d0bf750cc1f17060a9b4a2

According to gridiron database, these were used as throwbacks in 1994 but I can't find a picture.

This particular uniform was exclusive to 1980. In 1980, the Bengals added black facemasks, TV numbers, and wider pant stripes.

Looking at this picture, it seems only one of the linemen is actually wearing the wider pant stripe. (One that I can see, anyway)

Just to be clear, when you say home, are you referring to the white or blue? I ask because the white jersey was the home jersey for those uniforms. The Rams had a bit of a Cowboys thing going back then. They rarely wore the blue ones.

EDIT: Just saw that a couple other people already pointed out that the white jerseys were the home jerseys.

BB52Big.jpg

Right. About the only time the 60s Rams wore blue was at Dallas. Otherwise, it was all white all the time. They did wear blue for some home games in 1972, but that was the last year for those unis.

Since the official colors of the team always remained royal blue and gold, I never liked the blue and white set. I would only want to see them again as occasional throwbacks (if at all).

That was a weird thing. When I was just a little kid, a guy at school had a Rams hat (knit cap with a giant puff ball on top... awesome) with a blue and gold scheme, and a semi-realistic downward facing rams head logo. I thought it was so strange, because in my few short years of being football aware the Rams were always blue and white, and that logo wasn't to be found on their uniform. Within a couple of years they switched to the blue/gold set they wore for so long, and I came across some old pictures of earlier rams uniforms that had gold on them, but for a while I found it very confusing.

NO Saints forced 'em to wear their blue jerseys on the road back in 1967 ... Not just at Dallas, but I think they had to also wear their blue when playing the Browns in Cleveland too, during that time-frame.

Los Angeles Rams at New Orleans (Tulane Stadium - 17-Sep-1967 )

4349633.jpg4349248.jpg

But yes .......... You're spot on!!

The Rams wore their blue & white uni's for home games at the LA Coliseum in 1972 just as you said ... It may have had something to do with George Allen getting sacked after the 1970 season and Tommy Prothro taking over .. They probably wore the blue & white at home games in 1971 too .. They did at the 1971 Hall of Fame game against the Oilers.

Minnesota at Los Angeles Rams (19-Nov-1972)

4372933.jpg4372898.jpg

Denver Broncos at Los Angeles Rams (12-Nov-1972) ............................................... Detroit Lions at Los Angeles Rams (17-Dec-1972)

4761624.jpg5181764.jpg

NFL Hall of Fame Game (Canton-Ohio)

Houston Oilers vs Los Angeles Rams (31-Jul-1971)

5166180.jpg

Oh my goodness...I have to be quite honest, each of those Rams matchups up there look amazing. Especially the Saints and Oilers games. Football sure looked great in the 60's-70's....

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Don Coryell era Charger uniforms!

chargers.jpg

Great uniform. The Chargers need to either go back to this look or the powder blues with white helmet. The current Charger uniform is too bland. The white helmet doesn't work with the navy uniform.

Here's what I've always thought would look good for the Chargers:

Junior.jpg

This uniform but with all navy replaced with powder blue, including the helmet. I know the Chargers have no precedent of wearing a powder blue helmet, but it would undoubtedly look better than the current set.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

275px-AFC-1960-Uniform-NE.PNG

The template of that Pats uniform, with the hat over "00" placeholder for the number and the ear hole makes it look like there's a really surprised claymation Patriot on the side of the helmet.

Archived