Uniforms that should be thrownback

kajeet

Here's what I've always thought would look good for the Chargers:

Junior.jpg

This uniform but with all navy replaced with powder blue, including the helmet. I know the Chargers have no precedent of wearing a powder blue helmet, but it would undoubtedly look better than the current set.

Disagree .... their 2009 AFL-50 uniforms are constantly rated at the top of the list of best throwback uniforms in NFL and AFL history.

They need no tweaks at all, and virtually all SD fans are clamoring for their return. Their powder blue alternates of today are a very cheap imitation of them.

Went to Bills at Chargers game last season, and I'd say 70-80% of all Charger fans wearing jerseys had on the old powder-blues, only a scattered amount wore the navy ones or the alternate powder blues, it was that noticeable.

09000d5d812a3628_gallery_600.jpg

09000d5d813ad94c_gallery_600.jpg

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disagree .... their 2009 AFL-50 uniforms are constantly rated at the top of the list of best throwback uniforms in NFL and AFL history.

They need no tweaks at all, and virtually all SD fans are clamoring for their return. Their powder blue alternates of today are a very cheap imitation of them.

Went to Bills at Chargers game last season, and I'd say 70-80% of all Charger fans wearing jerseys had on the old powder-blues, only a scattered amount wore the navy ones, it was that noticeable.

Fair enough, that's a great look.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Don Coryell era Charger uniforms!

chargers.jpg

Great uniform. The Chargers need to either go back to this look or the powder blues with white helmet. The current Charger uniform is too bland. The white helmet doesn't work with the navy uniform.

Junior.jpg

This uniform but with all navy replaced with powder blue, including the helmet. I know the Chargers have no precedent of wearing a powder blue helmet, but it would undoubtedly look better than the current set.

There was a mockup on UniWatch in a similar vein a while back:

5165179325_6eb01cc282_o.jpg

Personally, I think the jersey is okay (the navy pants make it look too much like the Titans) but the current powder blues are by far the best jerseys the Chargers have ever worn. Just dump the navy jerseys and pants, switch to powder blue numbers on the road, and wear these pants with the current powder blue jersey, and they'd be perfect:

5127510638_2eeaf7fa67_o.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Junior.jpg

Went to Bills at Chargers game last season, and I'd say 70-80% of all Charger fans wearing jerseys had on the old powder-blues, only a scattered amount wore the navy ones or the alternate powder blues, it was that noticeable.

The pants need powder blue in them & so does the helmet. I think their current set is perfect (powder blue) I wished they went with that full time.

The pants need powder blue in them & so does the helmet. I think their current set is perfect (powder blue) I wished they went with that full time.

Somebody once posted a 60s Chargers uniform and rather than it being Powder Blue, it was a shade known as 'Collegiate Blue' and I must say, it looked wicked.!! thumbsup.gif

SD's 1963 throwbacks are superb!! If they were to ever bring them back nothing on 'em should be tweaked ... If they wanted another option for pants on the road, the yellow ones would be cool, but they never wore powder blue pants with that old AFL-look (I'm 99% sure)

San Diego at Kansas City

31-Aug-1970

2156157.jpg

Hey ... looky-look ............ The NY Giants with white pants with their current look

San Diego at NY Giants (Yankee Stadium)

7-Nov-1971

4119913.jpg

SD's 1963 throwbacks are superb!! If they were to ever bring them back nothing on 'em should be tweaked ... If they wanted another option for pants on the road, the yellow ones would be cool, but they never wore powder blue pants with that old AFL-look (I'm 99% sure)

Art - you are correct; the Chargers have never worn light blue pants. The Chargers only wore one set of pants until the first navy ones came out for 1990. They wore white pants from 1960-1965, yellow pants from 1966-1984, then white again from 1985-1989.

Art - you are correct; the Chargers have never worn light blue pants. The Chargers only wore one set of pants until the first navy ones came out for 1990. They wore white pants from 1960-1965, yellow pants from 1966-1984, then white again from 1985-1989.

I did not mean wear powder blue pants I meant they need some blue on them right now they have no color balance on the 1963 uniform.

I remember when the Rams wore these and I always thought the away uniform looked better than the home version. I never liked the striping on the home jersey.

I was always under the impression that the white jersey was the home jersey and, for all intents and purposes, the away jersey as well. Didn't I read that they hardly ever wore the blue jersey?

Right. About the only time the 60s Rams wore blue was at Dallas. Otherwise, it was all white all the time. They did wear blue for some home games in 1972, but that was the last year for those unis.

Since the official colors of the team always remained royal blue and gold, I never liked the blue and white set. I would only want to see them again as occasional throwbacks (if at all).

That was a weird thing. When I was just a little kid, a guy at school had a Rams hat (knit cap with a giant puff ball on top... awesome) with a blue and gold scheme, and a semi-realistic downward facing rams head logo. I thought it was so strange, because in my few short years of being football aware the Rams were always blue and white, and that logo wasn't to be found on their uniform. Within a couple of years they switched to the blue/gold set they wore for so long, and I came across some old pictures of earlier rams uniforms that had gold on them, but for a while I found it very confusing.

Before 1964-1972, the Rams wore royal blue and yellow gold. In 1964, the front office decided to ditch the yellow gold for the white to be dominant color because it would look similar to the Baltimore Colts of that day. The end of 1972, Carroll Rosenbloom did not like the uniform colors because it took elements from the Colts (color scheme) and Vikings (different stripe pattern depending on Home or Visitor). So, he reverted back to the yellow gold and royal blue color scheme from before 1964. Here is where I got the info,

http://www.gridironuniforms.com/rams.html Scroll down to see the Rams yellow gold and royal blue before the 1964 year.

Oh, here is a 1959 photo of the Rams in their pre-1964-1972 uniforms.

jon_arnett_1959_12_06.jpg

The Jets' Kelly Green without black would be a great throwback.

Corbis-U15117-16UNI.jpg?size=67&uid=a149626a-2536-4795-bfb7-298a6449d9b8

49119_01_lg.jpg

You still see a ton of the Jets 80s Kelly green era stuff in the crowd too. Way more of that than the stupid Titans of New York stuff. No offense to the senior crowd, but a vast majority of the fans were not alive when the Titans played. Throwbacks are supposed to evoke a bit nostalgia. How can you feel nostalgic for something from the late 50s?

The Jets I grew up to love and completely hate at the same time wore those green uniforms. Those were the uniforms I saw when I went to my first game against the Bengals when I was 3, those are the uniforms I suffered through the Kotite years with.

70389454.png

2485724displayimage.jpg

I like the orange pants for the browns much better with the away than the home brown jersey. In fact I think the white / orange looks much better than the white on white or the white on brown look they tried awhile back.

70389454.png

Junior.jpg

Didn't the original jerseys that these are based on use a slightly darker shade of blue... not quite royal, but still darker than this.

That said, I think these could use a SLIGHT tweak... basically, navy blue replacing the black and maybe the powder blue outline on the home jersey's bolts.

Junior.jpg

Didn't the original jerseys that these are based on use a slightly darker shade of blue... not quite royal, but still darker than this.

That said, I think these could use a SLIGHT tweak... basically, navy blue replacing the black and maybe the powder blue outline on the home jersey's bolts.

Yes they were. Not royal blue, but azure blue. Like this,

BillsChargers1964Smallest.jpg

This was in 1965. But that is evidence that it was not a very light collegiate blue. But it was medium tone of the color. Like an azure blue.

Here is more evidence.

Alworth1963SI.jpg

You can see that it is a darker shade of collegiate blue.

Yes they were. Not royal blue, but azure blue. Like this,

BillsChargers1964Smallest.jpg

This was in 1965. But that is evidence that it was not a very light collegiate blue. But it was medium tone of the color. Like an azure blue.

You can see that it is a darker shade of collegiate blue.

Nice ... but one correction. That photo of Keith Lincoln was NOT taken in 1965.

That photo is from 1964 at War Memorial Stadium in Buffalo ... most likely during the late December AFL Championship game...

Notice the single red stripe on the Bills helmet .... In 1965 the Bills added 2 blue stripes to the helmet outside of that single red stripe.

Of course, only a pedantic Bills fan would have caught that 49_49.gif

Those old Rams and Jets unis should be piled up, have gasoline poured on them, and set aflame.

I totally agree on the 90s Chargers sets over the current one, I love the powder blues too.

I much prefer the Jags jerseys above. Those at home, the white jerseys over black striped pants on the road.

Archived