Uniforms that should be thrownback

kajeet

I read they just scraped the stripes off and put BENGALS and you can tell in that picture. Why were some of the 1994 throwbacks just poorly done like the bills. They just slapped the old buffalo on a red helmet.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

de343e68411347a18c86ca300ba709df965c81f7.jpg?x=318&y=400&sig=33ef35fdb9d0bf750cc1f17060a9b4a2

According to gridiron database, these were used as throwbacks in 1994 but I can't find a picture.

They were worn in 1994 (both home and road if I'm remembering correctly). There used to be a website that had photos of all the 75th Anniversary throwbacks but I can't find it anymore; I guess the owner took it down.

It was actually a chat board that had plenty of 75th anniversary uniforms ..... never posted the away version tho'

cinnpickens.jpg

Now that you mention it the Bengals may have wound up wearing the home throwback twice instead of wearing an away throwback - I thought all teams had to wear the throwbacks twice (once home and once road) but I could just not be remembering correctly.

I read they just scraped the stripes off and put BENGALS and you can tell in that picture. Why were some of the 1994 throwbacks just poorly done like the bills. They just slapped the old buffalo on a red helmet.

That is probably correct - the Bengals have always been one of the tightest teams in the league, plus back then the Bengals were using tiger stripe decals instead of painted stripes. A lot of teams really half-assed the 1994 throwbacks back then because it was up to the teams to research and pay for them. These days the teams (for the most part) do a much better job researching their old looks (the Bills still being an exception - how could they do their 1960s home jerseys so right and still get the road jerseys so wrong?) and likely Reebok or Nike is willing to pay for them as part of their all-encompassing uniform deals.

John-Elway.jpg

Not sure if they would throwback these though since they lost 3 Super Bowls in these uniforms.

Well they lost 4 Super Bowls in those. Elway was QB for 3 of them.

They wore those against the Cowboys on Thanksgiving 10 years ago or so.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I want to see the Bengals throwback to their original uniforms, but only because I was born in 87 and I've never seen them live and in person. Also, the jerseys they'll sell will be a nice alternative to whatever clown suit they'll be wearing. I'm holding out hope they use throwbacks to celebrate their 50th anniversary in 2018.

PvO6ZWJ.png

John-Elway.jpg

Not sure if they would throwback these though since they lost 3 Super Bowls in these uniforms.

Well they lost 4 Super Bowls in those. Elway was QB for 3 of them.

They wore those against the Cowboys on Thanksgiving 10 years ago or so.

I like the 80s Patriots too but since they won all their super bowls w/ the new one they'll never go back other than the 2 weeks they can wear throwbacks

This "they won/lost championships in these so they can't bring them back/change them" logic just kills me. There's simply no evidence to support the theory.

It's based on sentiment not a scientific theory. Why and how could there be evidence? I do mostly agree though. It is more about sticking with a brand.

Though I am not 100% sure a team like the Bulls does not change their jersey once if they don't win although titles. On the flip side, if the Raptors somehow won a title in the 90's I am 100% their jerseys change anyway.

I think winning a title can sometimes be a factor if a team changes their jerseys, but a small one at most.

This "they won/lost championships in these so they can't bring them back/change them" logic just kills me. There's simply no evidence to support the theory.

It's based on sentiment not a scientific theory. Why and how could there be evidence? I do mostly agree though. It is more about sticking with a brand.

Though I am not 100% sure a team like the Bulls does not change their jersey once if they don't win although titles. On the flip side, if the Raptors somehow won a title in the 90's I am 100% their jerseys change anyway.

I think winning a title can sometimes be a factor if a team changes their jerseys, but a small one at most.

So I'm wrong but you agree with me. Got it.

BB52Big.jpg

You're wrong for arguing that anyone made a hypothesis about rebrands which could be proved with evidence. Many people believe that teams should or will stay in a dynasty look if it's not horribly dated, and likewise, teams with histories of success don't tend to throw their jerseys out the window and return fully to uniforms which are best known for losing multiple Super Bowls, playoff chokes, etc.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

You're wrong for arguing that anyone made a hypothesis about rebrands which could be proved with evidence.

If that's not what they're doing, then what are they doing? People are saying "so and so won't change/go back because they won/lost with that look." Seems like a statement based on some sort of evidence to support it to me. But whatever, I don't care enough to argue about it so you're right.

BB52Big.jpg

I don't think these are technically throwbacks since they are from "The Future", but I think all the participating teams should jokingly wear these opening day 2021turntheclockahead.jpg.

No joke, if some of these teams don't wear the TATC unis again in 2021, they are missing out on a fun (one-day) marketing opportunity. I don't see why any team who did it before wouldn't do it again (well, except maybe the Angels), but especially those with similar identities.

Archived