NFL Clubs that should be first in line

ARTnSocal

i have never understood why people like that uniform, or how they could like it better than the current uniform. i guess because it hasnt been around for a while? if roles where reversed i think people would say the same thing. "bring back the old uniform (white helmet)!"

So basically, which uniform set of the Jets do you prefer most .... '65-'71 .... '72-'77 .... 80s .... 90s .... or '98--current ??

I liked their 70s look with their football-shaped logo, but I do think the darker green color they currently wear looks better, it's just that oval-shape annoys the hell out of me. I like the green pants too that they never had back in the day, just not in the monochrome-look.

simpson-buffalo-bills-record-breaker-shot-autographed-photograph-3357442.jpg

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have never understood why people like that uniform, or how they could like it better than the current uniform. i guess because it hasnt been around for a while? if roles where reversed i think people would say the same thing. "bring back the old uniform (white helmet)!"

So basically, which uniform set of the Jets do you prefer most .... '65-'71 .... '72-'77 .... 80s .... 90s .... or '98--current ??

I liked their 70s look with their football-shaped logo, but I do think the darker green color they currently wear looks better, it's just that oval-shape annoys the hell out of me. I like the green pants too that they never had back in the day, just not in the monochrome-look.

simpson-buffalo-bills-record-breaker-shot-autographed-photograph-3357442.jpg

i think the 70s look was right for that time. i dont think it fits on modern uniforms though, at least we've never seen those shoulder loops done very well today. even the Panthers' version is a bit off.

if i have to choose my favorite its the current look. the white helmet provides better contrast in its surroundings, the green field and stadium walls are overload with a green helmet. i like the oval logo better; the football shape of old is a bit cheesy. its as bad as a basketball being in every NBA logo. so the oval is a better idea to me. that Jets word mark on the green helmet dosent fit the helmet well. its so horizontal/wide and you have a lot of space on top and bottom. that seems awkward to me. at least the oval has equal space around it when viewing from the side. the black in the 80s stuff/early 90s stuff is too dark to be a good trim color, it muddies the whole look. im not saying they should do this, but think of what orange as a trim color would do to that whole identity; really bring it to life and brighten it. point is black does the opposite and brings it down

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

i'm glad the jets came up.

as a life-long fan, their current set does absolutely nothing for me. i hate the current shade of green. to me, it's drab, dull, and doesn't do anything to me to evoke any kind of emotion other than boredom. their logo is mind-numbingly generic. it falls under the classification of "just because it's a throwback doesn't mean it's good." and like another poster said, the shoulder stripes look terrible on any modern template.

i'd love to see a full-time return to kelly green, a modernized version of the wordmark in my signature, and heck...i'd even be fine with a very slight integration of black trim.

as of right now, their whole set (don't even get me started on the atrocious titans of NY throwbacks) leaves me uninspired.

I thought that when the J-E-T-S returned to their AFL-look back in '98 but modernized them that it was just plain silly that they took the logo which was pointed and shaped like a football and made it oval-shaped. That ruined it IMO.

The Jets unis in the 80s and 90s I never liked all that much, but I thought they looked much better in the early 90s when they added the black trim and the green away pants.

3892168.jpg

I've always thought the green-helmet version pictured above was SO much better than what they wear now. I liked the change in 1976 (?) and hated when they switched back to the white helmets. Also, I hate black for black's sake, but it really worked with this set. I think they had it right back in 1992.

as a life-long fan, their current set does absolutely nothing for me. i hate the current shade of green. to me, it's drab, dull, and doesn't do anything to me to evoke any kind of emotion other than boredom. their logo is mind-numbingly generic. it falls under the classification of "just because it's a throwback doesn't mean it's good." and like another poster said, the shoulder stripes look terrible on any modern template.

i'd love to see a full-time return to kelly green, a modernized version of the wordmark in my signature, and heck...i'd even be fine with a very slight integration of black trim.

as of right now, their whole set (don't even get me started on the atrocious titans of NY throwbacks) leaves me uninspired.

I thought that when the J-E-T-S returned to their AFL-look back in '98 but modernized them that it was just plain silly that they took the logo which was pointed and shaped like a football and made it oval-shaped. That ruined it IMO.

The Jets unis in the 80s and 90s I never liked all that much, but I thought they looked much better in the early 90s when they added the black trim and the green away pants.

3892168.jpg

I've always thought the green-helmet version pictured above was SO much better than what they wear now. I liked the change in 1976 (?) and hated when they switched back to the white helmets. Also, I hate black for black's sake, but it really worked with this set. I think they had it right back in 1992.

so is it the color? the logo? is there an emotional connection to it (did you have a favorite player on the Jets during that era?).

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

so is it the color? the logo? is there an emotional connection to it (did you have a favorite player on the Jets during that era?).

for me, it's the logo, which for my money, is FAR superior to the current logo. and i'd love a return to kelly green, which the '90s are certainly closer to than today.

the '90s unis...it's not that i loved them. it's just that they had more elements i found enjoyable than the current set.

sig2024.png

The Jets change was in 1978 ... prior to that they were basically the same uniforms from '65--'77, the major difference is that the football-shaped logo was mounted on the helmet with a severe incline back in the AFL days and in 1972 they mounted it much more horizontal.

jets_helmet_history.jpg

3892168.jpg

The black made the look "stronger" (for lack of a better word), but the biggest thing was the logo and the green helmet over the white and the lack of racing stripes. I've never been a fan of white helmets at all, with the Dolphins and Bills being a couple of exceptions, and racing stripes are so....60s. The logo conveys the movement / speed of a jet much better that what they have now. It's just.....cleaner.

I'm a Bengals fan, so there's no emotional attachment at all.

I always thought the Jets had all the elements of a great uniform scattered across different eras. Ideally, I'd have them keep their current template, but go back to kelly green (which would give each of the green NFL teams a unique shade) and adopt a white version of the 80s helmets.

People complain about how their template is "wrong" because the uniform it was based on doesn't translate well to modern uniform cuts, but I think it's better to look at it as a modern template that was simply inspired by a past look rather than something that's supposed to be a literal throwback. The same could be said about the logo, but unlike the logo, the uniforms are actually pleasing to look at. :D

EDIT:

I am just trying to figure out sports franchises' aversion to kelly green as a primary color. I like the current Jets uniforms (as well as their 70's/80's/early 90's uniforms), but the current green is too dark.

I've been trying to figure that one out for awhile now.

I am just trying to figure out sports franchises' aversion to kelly green as a primary color. I like the current Jets uniforms (as well as their 70's/80's/early 90's uniforms), but the current green is too dark.

Not sure, but it probably has a lot to do with merchandise. Perhaps they think forest green or midnight green are easier to sell than the St Patricks-ish kelly green.

I'm a fan of the 90s Jets unis, especially in '96-97, when they switched to a metallic paint on the helmets and wore greeen-white-white more than green-white-green

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I always thought the Jets had all the elements of a great uniform scattered across different eras. Ideally, I'd have them keep their current template, but go back to kelly green (which would give each of the green NFL teams a unique shade) and adopt a white version of the 80s helmets.

People complain about how their template is "wrong" because the uniform it was based on doesn't translate well to modern uniform cuts, but I think it's better to look at it as a modern template that was simply inspired by a past look rather than something that's supposed to be a literal throwback. The same could be said about the logo, but unlike the logo, the uniforms are actually pleasing to look at. :D

Click at your own discretion...

***SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT***

NYjets_PChome.png

NYjets_PCaway2.png

:P

------------------------------------------------

As for jmac's question, I'm going to go with this: many people think it's an ugly color. (Not me, though.) I think the other thing is green is probably one of the two hardest colors to work with, the other being purple, in that it shows up different under different lighting and across different fabrics (look at that Jets picture up above...case example). Either that, or it's just not considered "cool" enough.

Or...whatever the reason is that many teams have also gone away from royal blue to some darker shade.

(All of which is to say...hell, I don't know.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

First for me, it's kelly green. Not only do I MUCH prefer kelly green to forest green in general, but I dislike that the Jets switched from the color they had worn for their entire history as the Jets. I think the kelly green made for a classy yet exciting look. Black looks very nice with kelly green, also. The above picture is a poor representation, but the black didn't get lost in the green at all. I like the sleeve striping and love that it was repeated on the socks (and collar). I am a huge fan of looks where teams have dark helmets and pants with white jerseys and socks, such as the Bears and Chiefs. I wasn't in love with the logo, but I thought it worked well enough. As for the current look, it is just too bastardized to work. That style of jersey absolutely doesn't work on modern templates (or more accurately, jersey manufacturers refuse to make it work). At very least, the Jets should return to kelly green, but I would prefer the '90s set to the '70s one.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Not sure, but it probably has a lot to do with merchandise. Perhaps they think forest green or midnight green are easier to sell than the St Patricks-ish kelly green.

I'm a fan of the 90s Jets unis, especially in '96-97, when they switched to a metallic paint on the helmets and wore greeen-white-white more than green-white-green

I guess, but I know if you go to an Eagles event there is a ton of it. Jerseys of past players, plus the 2010 Kelly green throwback make up a large portion of the crowds. I know personally I own 4:1 Kelly green merchandise/clothing compared to midnight teal. Plus when you factor in how many people wear black jerseys on top of it, midnight green is the minority. So I think if the Eagles switched back to it, fans would eat it right up.

BBTV probably knows better than I (I remember him saying something about this), but I think it was something like owners are in love with the midnight green, and that, combined with how much of it is present in the Linc, means it'll be staying around a good long while. (Much like the Spanii and their preference of navy over powder out in SD.)

As for me personally, I'm torn. On the one hand, I do love me some kelly green (and in fact it's long been wildly popular back down home); on the other, midnight green is a unique shade that no other team has right now (that I'm aware of), and the Eagles have really made it work since introducing it 16 (!) years ago, even with it appearing as drab as it does sometimes (which is why I a/ never understood why they felt the need to muddy it up with charcoal when they also have a perfectly good silver, and b/ also advocate they strip all black out of the scheme?makes no sense to me to have three dark colors all right next to each other).

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

You've hit on my biggest objection to the midnight green - it's so drab. And then pairing it with black and the most drab shade of silver they could find make the Eagles jerseys very depressing. I don't mind the Jets borrowing Green Bay's shade, since it's paired with a whole lotta white. That's a much better contrast.

It's unfortunate that amazingly few teams use it, even as an accent color. There's the Celtics, and who else? I'm fairly confident that my Cosmos will stick with kelly green when they come back next year, so that's another.

As far as the Jets go, I prefer the current/classic striping design. It's more unique, I think, then the 78-97 look.

That being said, I think they need to switch back to kelly green, and I think they need to ditch their current logo. It's way to busy. I'm not a fan of the 78-97 logo either though. This would be my preference...

944.png

Even if justasmidge darker, there's also the Bucks and the Wild.

(Though, understandably, those two teams tend to be forgotten about quite much. :P)

It's unfortunate that amazingly few teams use it, even as an accent color. There's the Celtics, and who else? I'm fairly confident that my Cosmos will stick with kelly green when they come back next year, so that's another.

The Canucks use it as a secondary colour.

BBTV probably knows better than I (I remember him saying something about this), but I think it was something like owners are in love with the midnight green, and that, combined with how much of it is present in the Linc, means it'll be staying around a good long while. (Much like the Spanii and their preference of navy over powder out in SD.)

As for me personally, I'm torn. On the one hand, I do love me some kelly green (and in fact it's long been wildly popular back down home); on the other, midnight green is a unique shade that no other team has right now (that I'm aware of), and the Eagles have really made it work since introducing it 16 (!) years ago, even with it appearing as drab as it does sometimes (which is why I a/ never understood why they felt the need to muddy it up with charcoal when they also have a perfectly good silver, and b/ also advocate they strip all black out of the scheme?makes no sense to me to have three dark colors all right next to each other).

Yea, true. They'd have to replace the signs and all the player banners...not impossible, but a not so small thing to change money-wise. The seats are close enough to a neutral dark green that a lot of stadiums have...maybe they'd replace the some seats with Kelly green...club level would be cheapest.

I'd take a good injection of silver back into the design though if we can't get a new shade. A brighter Cunningham era silver would definetly brighten up the current uniforms. Silver pants, silver outlines on numbers for H/A jerseys...would make life with Midnight Green easier to stomach.

Archived