NFL Clubs that should be first in line

ARTnSocal

Odd, but every set you posted was from a year where the team finished last in the division.

Except for the Vikings, since the Lions finished last in the NFC Central in 2001.

I'll echo what's already been said and vote for the Cowboys. Standardize the colors. Get rid of the green pants. Heck, maybe even standardize the jersey designs. The Cowboys' identity is a mess.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GO BACK TO THE PREVIOUS UNIFORM!!! NOTHING NEW IS GOOD!!'

Seriously. "rebrand or major tweak" doesn't just mean "I liked how every single team looked back then, so bring it back". The NFL needs more diversity (Falcons, Eagles, Cardinals) not less.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Well, I honestly think the Vikings look better like,

2001_Minnesota.png

Courtesy of Gridiron Uniforms

Just go back to the 1961-1999 purple.

I don't like how the Cowboys uniform is. I think it makes them look out of place and really doesn't look like a great combination. I'd say that they should ditch the silver and go with something better. Keep the current logo, but ditch silver and the metallic cyan pants all together. They should go back to their 1960-1963 look. Not their throwbacks they wear occasionally, but a new design with the dark royal blue and white color scheme.

The Rams should make a modify version of their royal blue and yellow-gold (athletic gold) 1973-1999 look. Use the new number fonts and style. Add a white shine (good size streak that can corporate the white in the uniform) on top of the rams horns to add a little white to the uniform. Make the yellow-gold pants have a blue single stripe with a little white shine so it could match the horns style. The facemask should be yellow-gold as well to make the dark royal blue helmets pop (the horns and facemask would make it pop). I am making this one as well as the Cowboy one as we speak. Still not finished yet.

The 49ers should brighten the red that they have. Use the 1981-1995 scarlet red. That was much brighter and fare better than the dingy red they use now. The 1996-2008 uniforms were horrible and I hope the black is not part of their uniforms anymore. It makes the uniform too messy and the black is needed to the logo so it can pop from the helmet, but not on the uniforms like the 1996-2008 ones.

New Orleans Saints really need to go back to this (because I like the Louisiana state incorporated on their uniforms);

1986_NewOrleans.png

The Jets are alright, except for a few things. The logo should be like their 1964-1966 combined with their 1978-1989 wordmark. Imagine this and this together.

lcetxlxev3xd2tt3n3gy5xh3d.gif5gtfjeljv9kf52bdv9otg3fhf.gif

What I mean is place the 1978-1989 wordmark inside the 1964-1966 or the 1967-1977 logo replacing the Jets inside of it to make the logo pop. The green and be better. I'd say they should use this green. Dark Spring Green is not too dark as Hunter Green :( But it will work :)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_green_(color)#Dark_spring_green

The Browns do not need a change. The only thing they need is white facemask and orange pants. Or this set, 1981_Cleveland.png

The Eagles just need to ditch charcoal grey and keep the silver and black. No more black alts please. Just make silver pants for both and fix the wings on the helmets to where it will pop. More feathers and not some unfinished job.

Jaguars should just ditch teal altogether and go for something like black helmets and black uniform. Keep the gold, but make the tongue of the jaguar red instead. Just utilize the black and gold colors. Not too similar to the Steelers (the all black to yellow-gold pants) and the Saints (old gold helmets and all). Just black helmets and black uniforms and white pants. Their away should be black helmets and all white. The numbers could be black with gold trim on the white while the black jerseys should be gold with white trim. Facemask would be either black or white. I could say white, black, on white uniforms for the Jaguars since a white helmet would work on them, but the black helmet will work.

Baltimore should try to make something else work. Maybe go back to the 1996-1998 look with a new helmet logo and not use the stupid block shadows numbers. I liked this look,1996_Baltimore.png

If I was them, I would use that and forget the white pants. That just makes the uniform as tacky as the Jaguars black on teal on white look. The Ravens black on purple on white look is confusing. I like their black on purple on black look. Also, if they go for this look, make sure the pants stripe match the helmets (the white stripe on the pants should go on the helmet for a simple and clean look).

Odd, but every set you posted was from a year where the team finished last in the division.

Minnesota did better. Randy Moss was still there that time. And the Baltimore one I liked because there was no confusion with the uniforms. It didn't matter if they finished last or not. Their uniforms were much better than what is there now. In 2000, Baltimore did better. Not in those uniforms, but they still did better. New Orleans had a curse surrounding them that time. And the Cleveland Browns is better with orange pants that matches the uniform. Or orange pants with one white stripe that follows their throwback helmets with a white facemask. That would work (I don't know).

Seriously. "rebrand or major tweak" doesn't just mean "I liked how every single team looked back then, so bring it back". The NFL needs more diversity (Falcons, Eagles, Cardinals) not less.

If the Eagles need diversity, then what I would say is that they need to fix or modify those wings to look realistic or something. Because they look like fox tails to me. I would love to see realistic wings on their helmets that follow a white, silver, and black colors that works as light, official, and shadow.

I forgot the Cardinals. Yeah, that garbage they are wearing looks like a Arena Football or more so like College Football. It's like those type of uniforms attract those type of people and they are still immature here-after. I say get rid of all those unnecessary piping. You know what, I am going to redesign the Cardinals uniforms with the Rams and Cowboys since I have adobe illustrator. Same goes for Minnesota and New England. All I need is their 1978 postponed logo.

2. New England Patriots: it looks like Adidas puked all the generic early-2000's piping-and-panels crap in the world all over their uniforms. There isn't a single part of their uniform, other than the helmet, that looks good at all.

I love the Pats and am stuck watching that dreck every week.

The 93 Bledsoe rookie unis were great, and it all went downhill from there.

Flying Elvis when viewed facing left looks like in outline of the state of Montana. The home unis are drab but I can deal with them, they are more so with that flatter looking silver on the pants. The double stripes down the side of the jersey are pointless.

The road unis are an unmitigated mess. The helmet sticks out as it is the only silver element. The bars down the sides of the jerseys are horrid. I don't mind navy pants, but the striping is odd and it would kill them to wear the silver ones now and again. The socks are reallllly plain.

I'd even say the '93 Bledose unis were below-average. The pants were awesome, but that was it. The jersey looked like something left over from practice.

Still...I'd prefer that over what came after...

spacer.png

That's the thought process of so many people here.

THANK YOU!

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Could someone give a definition of rebranding? Because when I hear that word I think of a change in logo or, changing the team name (ie: Oilers to Titans).

Excellent question...and it's probably one of if not the most misunderstood aspects of sports design?hell all of graphic design, for that matter. Look for a new thread that'll delve a little deeper into this topic of discussion sometime soon. (I don't have the time or resource material on hand as of this posting...but I may later on today.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The Titans' wordmark and numbers are heavily influenced by ancient Greek architecture? You wanna show us examples of this?

the Golden Ratio. some of the characters come from the Greek style alphabet

screenshot20120818at622.png

I seriously thought I was the only one who saw that. :P

What's probably less decipherable to the untrained eye, but clearly visible once you study and understand the angles of the lights and shadows, not to mention the biconcave shape of the wordmark itself, is that it was rendered that way (or at least I believe it was, anyway) to give off the effect of looking at it as if you were standing inside a coliseum.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

That's the thought process of so many people here.

It is true, though. When Nike's newfangled garbage ends up giving 3/4ths of the league toilet seat collars, it's kind of hard to not want to go back to the way things used to be.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The Titans' wordmark and numbers are heavily influenced by ancient Greek architecture? You wanna show us examples of this?

I seriously thought I was the only one who saw that. :P

What's probably less decipherable to the untrained eye, but clearly visible once you study and understand the angles of the lights and shadows, not to mention the biconcave shape of the wordmark itself, is that it was rendered that way (or at least I believe it was, anyway) to give off the effect of looking at it as if you were standing inside a coliseum.

The coliseums were Roman, not Greek. The Greeks had amphitheatres. :grin:

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

theres really no reason for any NFL to rebrand in the sense that they need an identity overhaul and a complete change in marketing strategy. they're all doing well even at the bottom finically and even the Redskins and Vikings are doing just fine with horribly out dated, poorly built logos.

Beside the horn detail, I the Viking logo is very well constructed...especially considering it's age.

The coliseums were Roman, not Greek. The Greeks had amphitheatres. :grin:

Hey?Bucfan56 is the history buff, not me!!! :P

Point still stands...you got what I was getting at. (I think.)

i'm glad the jets came up.

as a life-long fan, their current set does absolutely nothing for me. i hate the current shade of green. to me, it's drab, dull, and doesn't do anything to me to evoke any kind of emotion other than boredom. their logo is mind-numbingly generic. it falls under the classification of "just because it's a throwback doesn't mean it's good." and like another poster said, the shoulder stripes look terrible on any modern template.

i'd love to see a full-time return to kelly green, a modernized version of the wordmark in my signature, and heck...i'd even be fine with a very slight integration of black trim.

as of right now, their whole set (don't even get me started on the atrocious titans of NY throwbacks) leaves me uninspired.

sig2024.png

1. Titans - NEVER looked good. Went from the Oilers who always looked great to the Titans who never did.

2. Cowboys - 8 colors are too many. The silver-green has run it's course. We don't have 1970s tube TVs. Lose it.

3. Bengals - Just simplify the mess.

4. Vikings - See Bengals.

5. Giants - Blue jerseys look like practice gear, white jerseys with no blue just don't go with the uniform. No continuity.

6. Patriots - The silver and dark navy scheme is dull, the Elvis logo is atrocious. Go back to red jerseys and white helmets, even if Elvis appears on them.

7. Jaguars - The piping/striping and number fonts are ugly and inconsistent (could have been Reebok issue). Helmets are unique but everything below it could use some major refining.

8. Broncos - the 1990s "innovation" now looks dated and high-schoolish. Bringing back the orange jersey was a big plus, but the design needs an update.

9. Eagles - Too much black and the dark teal/green they use is not only dull, but blends too much with the black. Lose all black and return to Kelly Green and silver with the current design and it's a huge winner. Even keeping black with a brighter Kelly Green would be a huge improvement.

10. Saints - Somehow in the last few years, their gold has turned into a nude pantyhose shade. Design is fine when they're not wearing solid black pants, but bring back real gold.

The only one of these teams in need of a true rebranding is the Titans. All others are just restylings. This thread is using the team rebranding too loosely.

87Redskins.png

Baltimore should try to make something else work. Maybe go back to the 1996-1998 look with a new helmet logo and not use the stupid block shadows numbers. I liked this look,1996_Baltimore.png

I thought there were legal issues with that logo, so they had to change it.

Original artwork -

RavensdrawingBouchat.png

Copyright infringement -

Bwings.png

87Redskins.png

Not seeing it. It might be close to the golden ratio in some respects, but as your graphic notes it's not quite on. Which means it might as well be a mile off.

Neither do I see the Greek alphabet. Again, there are some similarities but not enough to read as inspiration to my eye. Unless you think that "A" is supposed to resemble pi.

Original artwork -

RavensdrawingBouchat.png

Copyright infringement -

Bwings.png

Don't think of that logo. Think of this,

nyklgmbbhe362qbke35qmozvf.gif from the mother site.

I rather they use that bird without a B on it's forehead than some randomness.

I mean, it's good to do, but a modification of it will work.

Original artwork -

RavensdrawingBouchat.png

Copyright infringement -

Bwings.png

Don't think of that logo. Think of this,

nyklgmbbhe362qbke35qmozvf.gif from the mother site.

I rather they use that bird without a B on it's forehead than some randomness.

I mean, it's good to do, but a modification of it will work.

I took a stab at that once upon a time.

**** SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT *** :P

BALravens_NPC.png

as a life-long fan, their current set does absolutely nothing for me. i hate the current shade of green. to me, it's drab, dull, and doesn't do anything to me to evoke any kind of emotion other than boredom. their logo is mind-numbingly generic. it falls under the classification of "just because it's a throwback doesn't mean it's good." and like another poster said, the shoulder stripes look terrible on any modern template.

i'd love to see a full-time return to kelly green, a modernized version of the wordmark in my signature, and heck...i'd even be fine with a very slight integration of black trim.

as of right now, their whole set (don't even get me started on the atrocious titans of NY throwbacks) leaves me uninspired.

I thought that when the J-E-T-S returned to their AFL-look back in '98 but modernized them that it was just plain silly that they took the logo which was pointed and shaped like a football and made it oval-shaped. That ruined it IMO.

The Jets unis in the 80s and 90s I never liked all that much, but I thought they looked much better in the early 90s when they added the black trim and the green away pants.

3892168.jpg

I thought that when the J-E-T-S returned to their AFL-look back in '98 but modernized them that it was just plain silly that they took the logo which was pointed and shaped like a football and made it oval-shaped. That ruined it IMO.

The Jets unis in the 80s and 90s I never liked all that much, but I thought they looked much better in the early 90s when they added the black trim and the green away pants.

3892168.jpg

i have never understood why people like that uniform, or how they could like it better than the current uniform. i guess because it hasnt been around for a while? if roles where reversed i think people would say the same thing. "bring back the old uniform (white helmet)!"

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived