NBA Finalzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

NJTank

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is without a doubt the greatest upset in NBA history, and Im glad I was wrong to enjoy it.

Ditto on the "glad I was wrong" part.

It was such a great upset, it wasn't even an upset by the end...it was a dismantling and it was almost predictable by that point.

A thing of beauty. I hope this is a sign of things to come for the NBA East.

Well, first off -- I wouldn't say that this was as much of an upset as people completely underestimating a good team that was, in fact, better than the team that was picked to dismantle them.

second off -- what does this do to the Lakers? They will probably be changed in the off-season, and will have rather notable changes.

What I would do? Since Shaq and Kobe can't co-exist... one of them has to go and if the Lakers were smart, it'd be Shaq. In return for Shaq, the Lakers could get to solid players to surround Kobe with. In fact, I would say that if the Lakers were to offer Shaq to a team like the Nuggets at the trade deadline, they could probably get someone like Andre Miller and Marcus Camby. But that's just my though.

IUe6Hvh.png

Marcus Camby had a great year, as did Andre Miller. And taking salary cap into consideration, I'm not so sure you could or would be willing to get more for Shaq, because you'd still have to put talent around Kobe and the 2 players you get. Not to mention, Shaq doesn't have too much longer in his career, and you'd have to get players that fit into a system. I'm sure Kobe wants his own team, at this point. He's certainly ready for it and I think you have to take that into consideration. You don't want another superstar for him to butt heads with and run Kobe out of town like Shaq may very well be doing.

Plus, Miller has a definete age advantage. He's still a relatively young player and underrated considering he's played for the Cavaliers and Clippers, to teams that don't get much attention.

IUe6Hvh.png

What a series. The Pistons completely dominated all of but 5 minutes of the series... just completely thrashed Los Angeles... just a great ending to see a TEAM like Detroit hoist the title in the air. Someone like Billups, almost an outcast if you will - now the NBA Finals MVP. Hard nosed worker like Ben Wallace out playing the front line of the Lakers (reminds me of another Virginia Union alumni - a much better, more athletic Charles Oakley). You know you've hit it big when even Jack Nicholson, a man who never gives on-camera interviews, appears on camera with Jim Gray and Larry Brown to show appreciation for the job they did.

Speaking of Larry Brown, you can't help but feel great for him. Such a great coach, a great guy to the lead the sport, coaching the USA in Athens this summer, NBA Champion finally after 7 different NBA teams. Just look how he handles himself... barely cracked a smile following the game, just acted completely professional as if it were just another game. Came to center court during the celebration last, with his grand daughter holding onto him... talk about poignant moments in NBA history. Great to see another one of New York's finest (he's from Brooklyn) with a smile on his face and achieving something so great. Hats off to Larry Brown - he flat out out-coached Phil Jackson (except those 5 minutes in Game 2... but who cares about that anyway?).

CONGRATS TO DETROIT - DESERVING NBA CHAMPIONS!!

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

Where does this leave Phil Jackson's reputation as a coach? 9 time champ, but always with teams far more talented than everyone else? Doesn't seem so zen like all of a sudden??

On the Kobe Shaq thing we all know Kobe will be the one to go, he is up for Free agency now, and re signing him would cost a bunch. Howabout getting rid of both and starting from a clean sheet?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Howabout getting rid of both and starting from a clean sheet?

Not exactly the way to sell season tickets, but it might not be the dumbest idea, although I don't think it'd be the smartest either.

I doubt Phil Jackson would stick around for rebuilding, especially if both Shaq and Kobe were gone. Depending on how Kobe's trial goes (and I think most people assume he'll get off, which is a mistake IMO), I'd sign Kobe and get what you can for Shaq in a trade.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Howabout getting rid of both and starting from a clean sheet?

Like New York, rebuilding just doesn't work for Los Angeles basketball. Los Angeles would go up in flames if they attempted to rebuild and ditched both Kobe and Shaq.

If they're smart, they'll keep Shaq around. Kobe is the more expendable player. If anyone had any doubts who "the man" is in LA, it's Diesel. Shaq can win a championship for the Lakers without Kobe Bryant (assuming the right supporting cast is with him). I don't believe the same thing can be said for Kobe. Kobe is an all star, one of the best in the game today... but when it comes to Shaq, he - like everyone else - is the number 2 in the 1-2 punch.

Right now, the Lakers need perimeter shooting. Badly. Shaq takes care of things down low. Looking at the NBA Finals, Shaq did his thing. You can't stop him. He did everything he could, but without quality surrounding players, he can't do it. Having a big man downlow and then a perimeter shooter or someone who can draw the defense to him would make the Lakers far better. It's going to be interesting though... since the Lakers need shooters, I think it's time for the good ol' Isiah Thomas-Syndrome to kick in and send over the purest shooter in the game (or at least one of) Allan Houston, Dekembe Mutombo and Kurt Thomas over to the Lakers for Kobe Bryant. Meh... a guy can dream, can't he? :D

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

JHFC.

The Pistons are not on the front page of espn.com. Even the supposed hockey-haters had the Lightning on the front page the day after their run. No, instead of a headline about the Pistons' win, what do we have? "Summer Of Discontent," with the teaser spun towards the Lakers' loss, rather than the Pistons' win.

Good grief.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I'm going to have to disagree with you, Starchild.

I think Shaq is the one you have to get rid of. I'm not convinced that Shaq could win a Championship without Kobe because well, the Lakers have sucked without Kobe in the past (not to say they've been anything special without Shaq). Like them or not, the comparisons between Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan ARE there I don't think it's a matter of if Kobe Bryant will be at a level similar to what Jordans was, but when? And honestly, considering the chance that Kobe Bryant could be the next Michael Jordan -- would you have taken a young Michael Jordan over an aging Shaquille O'Neal? I would imagine so.

Let's also take THIS into consideration. Kobe has the opportunity to Opt out of his contract, and it's far from certain that he will do this. If you get rid of Shaquille O'Neal, you will have control over where Shaquille O'Neal goes to. If Kobe opts out, it's important to remember that one of his top choices is the Clippers. That will give Kobe Bryant his own team of young talent and that team would be FAR more exciting than the Lakers to watch because of the young talent they have. And that team would be GOOD. The Lakers then run the risk of not only giving Kobe a chance to prove that he is the superior player, but they are doing it while giving him the chance to prove it IN the same city AND give the Clippers a chance to be the #1 draw in town after time.

IUe6Hvh.png

The Pistons are not on the front page of espn.com.

Actually, they were for a while. Not for very long, though. Maybe 12 hours or so after they won, it was gone. When it was up, they had one of those big splash images with the headline, "Motor-ific!"

Archived