2013 MLB Logo and Uniform Changes

TheOldRoman

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Botched Squatchees are playing at Double Door next Thursday. $5 cover.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Botched Squatchees are playing at Double Door next Thursday. $5 cover.

Are they really botched or is it just a clever name?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Also, boy am I glad I changed my plans. Instead of going there tonight en route to SoCal I changed my plans because of the snow. Yeah, I would've seen them lose both ends of an absolutely frigid doubleheader delayed by two hours, but I'd then be stuck there in the next snowstorm rather than sunny Southern California...

I went to the late game, and as a Rockies fan, it was the greatest game I've ever attended. The cold just added to the awesome experience. It was pretty cool seeing the Rockies wear grey at home, too.

The Rockies jerseys actually had nameplates on them. A lot of teams now are scrapping that small detail since most teams don't use them anymore:

20130416__166782446~p1.jpg

dm_130417_mlb_mets_rockies_game2.jpg

20130416__SP16ROCKIES_KG11739~p1.jpg

20130416__SP16ROCKIES_KG29914~p1.jpg

Mets%20Rockies%20Baseball.JPEG-06295.jpg

Mets%20Rockies%20Baseball.JPEG-04a27.jpg

york-mets-v-colorado-rockies-20130416-203427-865.jpg

york-mets-v-colorado-rockies-20130416-205645-228.jpg

york-mets-v-colorado-rockies-20130416-201730-095.jpg

york-mets-v-colorado-rockies-20130416-201437-238.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

They are pointless, but you know what, I like nameplates on baseball jerseys. I even liked some cases where they looked bad covering pinstripes, like with the Marlins.

It looks weird if teams do a throwback that had a nameplate, and then they don't use it. That happened for the Marlins opening ceremonies this year. Jeff Conine threw the ball to Mike Lowell, who threw the ball to home plate. Conine wore the 1993 uniforms, Lowell the 2003, and then the Marlins starting catcher in today's uniform. Thing is, Conine's jersey did not have a nameplate, and the teal t-shirt did not have a Florida Marlins patch on it.

Unfortunately, this is the only photo I could find. There are none of his back.

wnu5B.St.56.jpeg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I have a feeling the Cardinals navy road caps will be back full time next year, and 2013 will go in the history books as a botched experiment like in 1956 when the Cardinals got rid of the birds on bat. Public outcry was so bad, that they got rid of this look after one season.

I don't know if I would describe the public's reaction to the red road caps as an "outcry." A lot of fans like red on the road.

More people (on the internet) prefer navy, but I think your point is pretty accurate. Both sides have been vocal enough where the Cardinals (since they're already ignoring the numbers) can go ahead and feel like they did what a bunch of fans want.

Which sucks.

I have a hard time putting much faith into a two-day poll from their website without seeing the demographics of the voters. To me, that leaves the door open to a lot of ballot stuffing and a lot of voting by non-Cardinals fans. It also seems to cater to the younger fans who live online and have probably never seen the Cardinals wear red on the road while ignoring a decent percentage of the older fans who may be more likely to prefer the red.

That said, the blue caps were more popular in the poll and I don't think that should be ignored - just as I don't think it should be taken as a definitive consensus. I guess I just don't understand what the Cardinals were hoping to gauge by conducting such a brief poll with such a small sample size. One could argue that they weren't happy with the results and shut it down, but it seems like there would be better ways to skew the results in their favor if that's what they wanted to accomplish.

The one thing I DON'T want to see is the Cardinals basing what caps they wear on what the other team is wearing. I think teams should wear what they want and not let their opponents dictate how they look.

What I think will probably happen is that they'll start wearing the navy caps for a few road games and then switch back and forth depending on their success with each look. It will probably turn into a one of those superstition deals where they stick with what they're winning in and then make a switch if they go on a losing streak. That doesn't thrill me at all, but I prefer that the choice be theirs and not influenced by the other team.

Josh Johnson had a Newtown patch on his jersey in the first inning

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/photos?gameId=330416114&photoId=2892848

Then in the same inning, it was gone. Did he just rip it off then?

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/photos?gameId=330416114&photoId=2892905

Yes, that is what I did.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Archived