2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

Posted this a while ago in a thread. Not sure how big they can get that logo on these modern helmets with the vent holes, etc.

newlogocomp.jpg

That black helmet looks amazing! Too bad it appears that won't be what they're going with.

The jags logo that is mainly gold looks terrible, slapped on that gold helmet. Larger logos are okay, but not that large.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is what Paul Lukas is saying about the Jaguars uniforms: Can you say Military Theme?

We’ve heard a lot lately about the upcoming unveilings for the Dolphins and Vikings (both of which will take place a week from today). But there hasn’t been much buzz about the Jaguars aside from the image you see above, which leaked four weeks ago.

Until now.

I’ve heard from a source who’s provided fairly detailed information (but no images) about the new Jags set. I have tried but failed to verify this information, so I can’t say for sure that it’s accurate. I will say, however, that this source has provided me with accurate information in the past — including accurate information about the Jaguars — so I tend to trust him.

Here’s a breakdown of what he told me:

1) The leaked image posted a month ago was indeed legit. It showed a replica of the black home jersey.

2) The Jags logo patch on the jersey is facing toward the left because the unis will have a military theme (collar devices and patches in the military face toward the heart).

3) Continuing with the military theme, the players’ last names will appear the front of the jersey under the patch, to mimic the look of a military uniform.

4) The sleeves will have a multi-colored design similar to the what the Falcons have, featuring black, gold, chrome, and teal. In the leaked image you can see the beginnings of some silver/chrome stripe patterns starting on the shoulder area.

5) The jersey will have side panels with some sort of design that will continue into the pants design.

6) The helmet shell will be two-tone — starting out gold and then fading into black.

7) The logo will be somewhat larger than normal for an NFL helmet — think Boise State’s Pro Combat helmet.

8) There will be an alternate teal jersey.

Well.

Again, I have not been able to verify any of this. So it may not be accurate. (All you Nike folks who are reading this, one of you be a pal and let me know, won’t you please?)

But if it is accurate, it certainly sounds like a total freaking nightmare on nearly every conceivable level.

The official unveiling is next Tuesday. But why wait until then? Let’s beat the rush and start hating it now.

spacer.png

Lukas just posted that in the comment section:

I have seen the jerseys already and can confirm some of your items from today. The jerseys do not have side panels but there is a truncated stripe on the pants. The jersey I saw was an authentic but saw no player name on front. The name on back is same font type as number and what was released for the primary logo. Helmet is black in front and gold in back. Logo is larger but not full on the side. There are black home, white away, and teal alternate versions. Also the “chrome” stripes aren’t really chrome. The jerseys are flat and these stripes are “shiny” or just reflective black.

Sounds like a disaster. I actually do not hate the picture that's been out, except for the "Jags" patch.

But there are two things driving me nuts:

1. The two-tone helmet. It does not say "NFL" to me. Similarly I don't like the sound of the big logo. It sounds like trend-hopping at its worst. If I were king, all uniforms would be designed with the intent of lasting for decades. This helmet will not.
  2. The "military" theme. I am setting myself to get flamed here, but yuck. This is not the military. It's a football team. Why is it that we get a little sensitive (dare I say "PC") when we talk about "weapons" on the field, or that Kellen Winslow, Jr. took a ton of criticism for calling himself a "soldier", but it's cool for an entire team to say that they are dressing all their players like soldiers? You are a football team, not the military. Everyone is always trying to outdo everyone else with tributes; and patriotism (dare I say, nationalism) is tops on that list. I never served and I don't know how military members feel about this...I would guess indifferent, but it occurred to me that they could find it insulting (though please recognize I am not trying to put words in anyone's mouth; many may find it touching for all I know). In any case, my take is "you are not the military" and this is stupid.

1. 2.a is the last name on the front. Military theme or not, this is probably going to make me, by comparison, appreciate NHL front numbers. So much for "the name on the front of the jersey" vs. "the name on the back of the jersey."

And of course, if this info turns out to be false, I have ranted for nothing.
Dolphins unis were suppose to be released today, with the logo, but that changed one the NFL forced them to push it to next week.
Why would the NFL have forced them to do that?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Sounds like a disaster. I actually do not hate the picture that's been out, except for the "Jags" patch.

1. The two-tone helmet. It does not say "NFL" to me. Similarly I don't like the sound of the big logo. It sounds like trend-hopping at its worst. If I were king, all uniforms would be designed with the intent of lasting for decades. This helmet will not.
  2. The "military" theme. I am setting myself to get flamed here, but yuck. This is not the military. It's a football team. Why is it that we get a little sensitive (dare I say "PC") when we talk about "weapons" on the field, or that Kellen Winslow, Jr. took a ton of criticism for calling himself a "soldier", but it's cool for an entire team to say that they are dressing all their players like soldiers? You are a football team, not the military. Everyone is always trying to outdo everyone else with tributes; and patriotism (dare I say, nationalism) is tops on that list. I never served and I don't know how military members feel about this...I would guess indifferent, but it occurred to me that they could find it insulting (though please recognize I am not trying to put words in anyone's mouth; many may find it touching for all I know). In any case, my take is "you are not the military" and this is stupid.

1. 2.a is the last name on the front. Military theme or not, this is probably going to make me, by comparison, appreciate NHL front numbers. So much for "the name on the front of the jersey" vs. "the name on the back of the jersey."

You will not get flamed by me because the sound of this uniform makes me wanna puke! You are right this is the NFL and not the military! That is why the military 911 patch is worn on the helmet and the only themed uniforms should be used in college as one-offs. As far as the last name on the front of the jersey, if people hate the "Seahawks" name of the front of the jersey last year, they are gonna go ape :censored: on the this jersey! So far, this sounds like Nike at its worst!

spacer.png

Dolphins unis were suppose to be released today, with the logo, but that changed one the NFL forced them to push it to next week.

got me? maybe to bring more hype to draft day?

Completely agree with everything you said in No.2.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

I have seen the jerseys already and can confirm some of your items from today............Helmet is black in front and gold in back. Logo is larger but not full on the side...........

It could work if the gold fades at the right angle. If the gradient is split 100% vertically, it will look absolutely horrific.

I don't even need a visual to know that.

Not 2013 news, but still notable. In an interview with Rams Executive Vice President, he was asked the following question, and his response follows:

Not me

We ARE gonna go back to 1973-99 jerseys, right????

RIIIIGHT???????? LOL Seriously, did you see that look during the Niners game this past season and the electricity?

The old blue n yellows scream RAMS!!!!!!! It is NOT a Los Anglese or "St Louis needs it's own identity" thing. I have been a fan in Jacksonville, Florida since 1976 and have had more compliments from non fans, about the old jerseys. There IS just some sort of a connection.

Kevin Demoff

Isn't a chat without a uniform question. I expect over the next decade you will see us do more to incorporate the blue and yellow and blue and white color scheme, getting away from the gold. We are going to wear our current throwbacks this year and next year for certain, the earliest a uniform change would be is 2015. One thing I gather is nobody is passionate about our current uniforms, the passion seems to be for either the blue and white or the blue and yellow. Anybody for the Cleveland Rams look?

rams3_zps8ezugnuj.jpg

I have seen the jerseys already and can confirm some of your items from today............Helmet is black in front and gold in back. Logo is larger but not full on the side...........

It could work if the gold fades at the right angle. If the gradient is split 100% vertically, it will look absolutely horrific.

I don't even need a visual to know that.

I wanted an all black helmet. I hope they pull it off somehow. Im now hoping they at least have it black for the logo. Most of the logo is gold so it is going to just blend in. We shall see Tuesday I guess.

I don't have an issue with the Jaguars using military themes or imagery in the way they are going it. If they had camo uniforms or put flags on the sleeves, yes, that would be taking it too far. But they are just borrowing some elements from military uniforms. Military uniforms have powerful imagery, so I don't think that's such a big deal, per se. However, everything we've seen or heard thusfar hs sucked, and it doesn't make sense for the Jaguars. Other teams have military bases in their towns, but they don't incorporate that into their identity. Add to that that the name Jaguars has such strong imagery from the cat alone, and the need to "enhance" the identity with military stuff is gone. The shiled logo is terrible and takes away from the identity. Adding names under it is stupid. I guess if they stuck with the cats for inspiration instead of the military, Nike would have given us iridescent spotted uniforms, so you can't really win either way.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived