Teams Sharing Names

oaklandhusker

In the four major sports (five, if you're dying to include MLS). I can think of two

Jets

Winnipeg (NHL)

New York (NFL)

Panthers

Florida (NHL)

Carolina (NFL)

Interestingly, they both involve an NHL team and an NFL team. Can you think of any others, or are those the only two...

bex2bn.jpg

v7xt0k.jpg

In the four major sports (five, if you're dying to include MLS). I can think of two

Jets

Winnipeg (NHL)

New York (NFL)

Panthers

Florida (NHL)

Carolina (NFL)

Interestingly, they both involve an NHL team and an NFL team. Can you think of any others, or are those the only two...

You didn't try very hard, did you?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Oilers - Houston & Edmonton

Also, the SEC has two teams known as Bulldogs (Georgia & Mississippi State) and three known as Tigers (Auburn, LSU & Missouri).

And the WAC used to have two Aggies (Utah State and NM State) and two Bulldogs (Fresno State and La Tech).

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Jets

Winnipeg (NHL)

New York (NFL)

Panthers

Florida (NHL)

Carolina (NFL)

Yeah, I try not to be too critical ... usually ... but I just stared at the original post with a puzzled look as it came to an early, incomplete end.

AHL: Norfolk and Milwaukee Admirals.

Carolina and Miami Hurricanes.

Pittsburgh and Youngstown State Penguins.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Jets

Winnipeg (NHL)

New York (NFL)

Panthers

Florida (NHL)

Carolina (NFL)

Yeah, I try not to be too critical ... usually ... but I just stared at the original post with a puzzled look as it came to an early, incomplete end.

I know that look. That was a horrible night.

AHL: Norfolk and Milwaukee Admirals.

You beat me to it.

PEI and New York - Islanders

UCLA, Providence, and Boston - Bruins

UConn, Washington, and Northeastern - Huskies

Utah and Memphis - Grizzlies

New York, Texas, Kitchener, and Rangers FC - Rangers

Detroit and BC - Lions

LA and Sacramento - Kings

girardi-1.png

lyip4wfi.pngzc9hmqq6.png

Thanks KaTo

Don't think it does, as that's not a nickname.

But in other soccer news, the NASL's Atlanta Silverbacks are poised to adopt their predecessor's name "Chiefs".

That's the one I was coming here to post. We could go on and on with this to no end.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

When the United Soccer Association transplanted clubs from other countries into the American leagues, two of them retained their nicknames. These were the Los Angeles Wolves and the Boston Rovers, aka Wolverhampton Wanderers (the Wolves) and Shamrock Rovers respectively.

bifcolympique_zps28a2961e.png

As did the Redskins and Braves when they were both in Boston. The Pittsburgh Steelers were for a time known as the Pirates after the baseball club.

Those, along with the Giants, were deliberate. The two St. Louis Cardinals was a coincidence.

Then there were the two Browns, a football version in Cleveland and a baseball version in St. Louis, from 1946 through 53.

As did the Redskins and Braves when they were both in Boston. The Pittsburgh Steelers were for a time known as the Pirates after the baseball club.

Those, along with the Giants, were deliberate. The two St. Louis Cardinals was a coincidence.

Then there were the two Browns, a football version in Cleveland and a baseball version in St. Louis, from 1946 through 53.

....And both the baseball and football Browns ended up moving to Baltimore in the end !! ?

#DTWD #GoJaguars

Archived