Alts that aren't so alt...

Digby

I was thinking today about how the Boston Celtics have three green jerseys -- the normal ones, the set with black text, and the set with gold text. I really hate the black-text one but I understand the rationale -- a Celtics jersey that isn't green or white would look incredibly strange and not Celtics-ish, but they still want a taste of that merch money. Are there many other teams that use different jerseys that are the same color -- especially three or more in the same color? I guess that'd be more common in baseball, but I couldn't think of many other examples in the other major sports, apart from Miami Heat's two black jerseys and Houston Dynamo's "blood orange" third kit.

The Canucks' home and alt jerseys are very similar.

Canucks33.png

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The Indianapolis Colts had those throwback alternates—the ones that, save for that blue helmet, were almost indistinguishable from their regular road uniforms from a distance.

Don't know if they still do, though.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Those thirds the Rangers wore this past season. It's different, but not so much

That one's a different color, at least. The navy and royal are very distinguishable.

Calgary+Flames+v+New+York+Rangers+7LzO9KZ4YV0l.jpg

Brandon+Prust+Ottawa+Senators+v+New+York+Rangers+pufjgZC1f0Fl.jpg

I know, but maybe a red alt instead of another blue jersey. I guess for me I always like alts to be not so similar to their current set. I actually liked the Lady Liberty jersey a lot

Go A's!

A red alt would be a disaster for the Rangers and I'll tell you why.

A red alternate for the Rangers provides two options. Option A is to wear it with their normal red pants. The Springfield Falcons, also a red-pantsed team, tried out a red alternate this year while choosing to stay in their normal red pants and the result was not good http://3.cdn.nhle.co...2) Cestroni.jpg (also the second reason the Blue Jackets can never have a red jersey). Blue helmet-red jersey-red pants-blue socks does not fit the NHL aesthetic. It certainly wouldn't be acceptable for an original 6 franchise.

Option B is to use blue pants and red socks to provide some contrast to the new red alternate jersey, but then the Rangers would look like long-time rival, the Montreal Canadiens. We all know we can't have that.

There's no good way to put the Rangers in a red jersey.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Many MLB teams in the 90s-early 2000s fit the bill on this. The White Sox, Mariners, Angels, D-backs, Pirates, Marlins, Twins, and Devil Rays each had, at some point, and alt jersey that looked the same as the standard home or road uni of the time, save for contrasting sleeves:

844260_display_image.jpg?1280195096

1998_road_vest_new2.jpg

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

The team is nicknamed the Broadway Blue Shirts. I don't think a red sweater would fly.

But I just didn't think that the heritage jerseys were needed since the design is similar. But I guess if the Rangers had to do it, I suppose that's their only option.

A red alternate for the Rangers provides two options. Option A is to wear it with their normal red pants. The Springfield Falcons, also a red-pantsed team, tried out a red alternate this year while choosing to stay in their normal red pants and the result was not good http://3.cdn.nhle.co...2) Cestroni.jpg (also the second reason the Blue Jackets can never have a red jersey). Blue helmet-red jersey-red pants-blue socks does not fit the NHL aesthetic. It certainly wouldn't be acceptable for an original 6 franchise.

Option B is to use blue pants and red socks to provide some contrast to the new red alternate jersey, but then the Rangers would look like long-time rival, the Montreal Canadiens. We all know we can't have that.

It's just me that I prefer to see an alternate set be a different color, but your points make sense

Go A's!

My biggest problem with the Springfield Falcons uniform is the blue socks with the red jersey. I actually think the red pants look good with the jersey, but the socks have no correlation whatsoever to the jersey.

The team is nicknamed the Broadway Blue Shirts. I don't think a red sweater would fly.

I agree, but for different reasons; an unofficial team nickname shouldn't come into play.

I think a red alternate probably wouldn't look good.

Archived