2013 NFL Off-Season Thread

Island_Style

Who goes where:

Bills - Whatever's cheapest.

Marrone hired by Bills.

DING! DING! DING! DING!

It was a cheap option, but also the highest-risk. For a team that has loved hiring retreads, it's nice to see the Bills taking a bit of a gamble. Marrone has done an amazing job maximizing not-so-great talent in Syracuse, so maybe he can squeeze something out of the Bills.

I was not even expecting the Bills to hire Marrone. DG is right about being a high risk, but he has a very high reward.

Just like cheap hires like Gailey, Jauron, Mularkey and Gregg Williams, all this hire means is that the Bills will be looking for another head coach in two or three years. They never go for the "slam dunk" hire, and it shows on the field. It's all about saving money, now more than even since they screwed up on signing Mario Williams. Plus, how often does an unhearlded college coach pan when jumping straight to the NFL -- if ever? Marrone has no chance.

6uXNWAo.png

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping that Chip kelly doesn't go to Philadelphia, hoping to revive Michael Vick. Not even Kelly can help him get back to where he was.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Have to figure at this point that he's staying in Oregon, either because he'll get a raise or just wants to, or because maybe the Eagles never actually offered him the job. Maybe there were red flags, maybe they see that there's no competition so they can go ahead and interview their other candidates before committing, or maybe there's just a negotiating snag. Usually if it gets that far, stories that a "deal is imminent" leak.

Eagles confirm that they finished their interview with McCoy today. Of their known candidates, only the Seattle DC and Jay Gruden remain. Bruce Arians was a candidate but I can't imagine he's a serious one, even if for unfair reasons.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah, basically the Browns and Eagles have walked away, figuring he was too wishy washy. Eagles coaching search expected to last more than several days longer.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Right now Kelly is looking like he'll be returning to Oregon for the 2013 season.

Again my guess is that it just came down to money. He's in a very good situation already both financially and job security wise which puts him in a very good negotiating position. Bottom line is I think both the Browns and Eagles feel/felt like five years was too much and they could get another solid candidate elsewhere for not as much.

Especially from the Eagles perspective, if they're looking to give out a contract for five years why not talk to a Brian Billick or a Bill Cowher if that's the kind of money your looking to spend and I haven't heard anything about the Eagles going after guys like of that high profile, so my guess is they're not looking to spend that kind of money on a head coach.

As far as Mike McCoy goes I think he would be an interesting choice. He's had to work with three different QB's in Denver that have all had a tremendous amount of relative success under him. That Denver offensive coordinator position has also produced a good amount of head coaches in recent memory. Jim Fassel, Chan Gailey, Gary Kubiak, Mike Shanahan. Some obviously fared better then others, but all four were/are NFL head coaches at one point.

If Denver is able to beat Baltimore next week, I don't see how he doesn't get a head coaching job with somebody with for the 2013 season.

I never really figured Kelly would walk away from his 'Demigod' status in Eugene, and he CERTAINLY wouldn't do it to end up in the hopeless quagmire that is Cleveland.

Philly's kind of in the same boat as Cleveland, except they have a little bit more talent.

Sigs are for sissies.

But Philly has an owner who is committed to spending through the roof for whatever talent the coach (who would report to him, not the GM) and GM want to get. Between the ownership set up, the facilities, the market size, fan base, etc. it's one of the most desirable jobs out there... unless you're thin skinned and can't handle the media and fanbase.

EDIT: My gut tells me that it'll be McCoy - but how does that work? Can he sign and then keep working with Denver? Or would the Eagles have to wait?

But Philly has an owner who is committed to spending through the roof for whatever talent the coach (who would report to him, not the GM) and GM want to get. Between the ownership set up, the facilities, the market size, fan base, etc. it's one of the most desirable jobs out there... unless you're thin skinned and can't handle the media and fanbase.

EDIT: My gut tells me that it'll be McCoy - but how does that work? Can he sign and then keep working with Denver? Or would the Eagles have to wait?

Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis both were signed elsewhere and kept working with the Patriots during the Super Bowl run.

Per Schefter:

Chip Kelly officially staying at Oregon.

Kelly has just accomplished something that Supprier and Saban couldn't -- Fail on the pro level without even trying.

So you're assuming that the teams just didn't want them? I think Kelly is staying because he knows that he has no chance of success at either Philly or Cleveland, and he'll make just as much money at Oregon. He had no reason to leave, and I ultimately think this was Kelly's choice.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Yeah, it's not like college coaching, which is in the heart of recruiting season right now and necessitates an incoming coach start making immediate moves, generally speaking. For teams who seasons just ended, there's not much going on right now. No practices, meetings, etc., so incoming coaches can finish out the string with their current teams.

spacer.png

I think he would have to wait until the Broncos season is over before actually signing a contract, but I don't see why the Eagles wouldn't be able to get a framework deal in place.

As far the Eagles ownership is concerned, it wasn't a slight in any way at them to say they weren't willing to go after a big name candidate. But I think any franchise would ask themselves do we really want to pay three times as much for a head coach that might be marginally better for us then someone like Mike McCoy.

As far as the desirability goes, I would list the Eagles job as one of the best in the NFL right now. I'd Jeffrey Lurie right there with Arthur Blank, Robert Kraft, Pat Bolen, the Rooney Family, for being one of the best ownerships in the NFL. You don't win six division titles in a decade without solid management. This right now is them at their worst. I have full faith you will see them again in the playoffs within three years.

McCoy spent 4 hours or so at Halas Hall earlier today. The Bears also are going to interview the Texans OC Rick Dennison and Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Oh, the Bears are going to interview me, at this rate.

"What are your thoughts on offense?"

"I'm in favor of it!"

"Would you put Devin Hester at wide receiver?"

"Let me hold up this picture of a pear."

*has now given better interview than last two actual coaches*

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Actually I read someone that if you think about it, they are taking a golden opportunity to interview coaches from all the playoff teams and many more up and coming coaches. How much intel do you think comes from an NFL head coaching job interview? I mean they aren't handing over the playbook, but I bet enough information that its worth spending 4-8 hours out of a day on.

When you think of it that way, what did the Bills get out of interviewing a couple candidates and hiring a college coach with a .500 record? Well they got a new coach but nothing else. No relationships built with strong coaches, no intel.

The CFL coach though is kinda left field however.

Khan flew to ATL this morning. Looks like it has to be Caldwell. I can't believe he is only 36. I am happy to give him a chance. It is hard to tell how good a new GM will be. Just please fire Mularkey.

Mularkey...who came from Atlanta. I agree though, I never understood that hire by Jacksonville.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Trestman as the Chargers' coach? Please no. Either he fails, and I have to hear "lolCFL" from American fans or he succeeds and I have to hear about how the Alouettes are G-d's gift to Canadian football from Montreal fans.

Archived