2013 NFL Off-Season Thread

Island_Style

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I don't see the fans in San Diego as even slightly consequential in the team's possible move to LA. It is all about the stadium deal.

To be fair, pissing off the fans is probably not the best way to get a new stadium deal, since they'll be the ones voting on it.

But fans alone aren't enough to get a stadium deal passed. I doubt that aggrieved fans will form a enough significant voting bloc to kill a deal even if one was actually proposed and put to a public vote. Which hasn't come close to happening. By the time it does, the fans have moved on to demanding that the new coach be fired.

Claiming that a coaching change today will somehow have a HUGE impact in whether or not the Chargers move to LA in a year or three seems more like wishful thinking than anything else. So long as San Diego and its assorted suburbs fail to put a plan together, the Chargers will remain at the top of the relocation conversation.

Cowboys fire DC Rob Ryan* and RB coach Skip Peete (Rodney's brother)

*- I wonder if they are going to move to a 4-3.

That's the only way the Ryan move makes sense. He's done a very good job with what he had.

There are a couple of items with Rob Ryan's career as a DC.

None of his teams have finished better than 8-8 or made the playoffs.

They are more often than not in the bottom half of defenses in yards allowed and points allowed.

I don't think you can hold him exclusively responsible for his teams' records, especially with this particular offense.

And if you're going to go by stats, the ones I've seen are that he started with a defense ranked 31st overall and moved them up to 19th overall last season. That's at least a good move in the right direction.

The problem with that team wasn't Ryan. Firing him while keeping Jones, Garrett and Romo makes me think this is more about scapegoating than anything of substance.

Unless, as Roman noted, they want to move to a different scheme. But do they have the personnel for the 4-3? And if so, why did they assemble those players if they weren't going to use that defense? Again, we're back to the real problem being elsewhere.

I don't think you can hold him exclusively responsible for his teams' records, especially with this particular offense.

And if you're going to go by stats, the ones I've seen are that he started with a defense ranked 31st overall and moved them up to 19th overall last season. That's at least a good move in the right direction.

The problem with that team wasn't Ryan. Firing him while keeping Jones, Garrett and Romo makes me think this is more about scapegoating than anything of substance.

Unless, as Roman noted, they want to move to a different scheme. But do they have the personnel for the 4-3? And if so, why did they assemble those players if they weren't going to use that defense? Again, we're back to the real problem being elsewhere.

Remember NFL stats recognize total defense as yards allowed, not by points. Bottom line for DAL (and most of the Rob Ryan defenses) is less yards and more about points allowed or points per defensive series.

As someone who openly gave the Raiders my money for season tickets from 2006-08, I saw first hand that the OAK offense was so poor, that they gave the opponent great field position. 25 yards later, Rob Ryan's defense put the opponent in FG range.

If they elect to move to a 4-3, Jerry may be targeting Lovie Smith as DC if he does not get a HC job.

Sean Lee is Mike, Carter the Weak. I am not sure if Ware would play the Sam or the rush DE. The others on the line are the bigger question since in the 3-4 they have been pretty bad outside of Ratliff and he seems to be in Jerry's doghouse.

Looks like the Jags will get their target. Caldwell it is. Now fire Mularkey!

He can do that, but be reminded that as late as 2011, the Jaguars were considered by fellow NFL scouts and GMs as having the fifth best scouting department in the NFL. You have to scout and hit better on the early draft picks.

Also, know that the Jaguars are one of the seven franchises who use BLESTO for collegiate scouting, and BLESTO is based in Jacksonville. Everyone basically gets the same information, be it from BLESTO, National Scouting or the team doing their own work, therefore the selection process is still down to executive management and the coaching staff and late round drafting/undrafted signings is still like scratching a lottery ticket for success.

Then there is the "Parcells Tree" and the lack of successful seeds which have planted from its roots. The Belichick roots are even worse and Caldwell is through Dimitroff, who was part of the Belichick tree.

Rob Ryan's first quote after his firing:

"I inherited a team that was 31st in the league in defense and made them better," Ryan told ESPNDallas.com's Tim MacMahon. "I (expletive) made them a hell of a lot better. I'll be out of work for like five minutes."

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On the flip side, he may be ready for the season opener.

*kicks RG3 voodoo doll again*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Gotta love the Ryan kids...

But I will actually be surprised if he's out of work for very long.

I hope the Jets hire Rob it will be fun to have both Ryans on the sideline. They should than draft Denard Robinson to play running back with Tim Tebow with Sanchez under center just to add to the circus they call a football team.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Redskins may be changing their name soon.

http://www.examiner....-return-to-city

I hope it happens. I don't think any team would even consider calling themselves the Redskins in this day and age or even going back 30 years for that matter either, so to still be carrying that name around I think clinging to a way of thinking that the rest of the world has long since moved on from.

If they want to keep the burgundy and gold and keep the uniform design as the same, I don't think anyone would take a great deal of offense. I just think the name Redskins has to go.

I think alot of it may depend on how desperate Dan Snyder is to get out of Landover, which he apparently is pretty serious about doing. I've never been to FedEx Field but from all accounts is pretty much the NFL's version of the Richfield Coliseum in terms of where its located, so I could see the Redskins either moving back to D.C. or having a plan to move back by the end of the decade.

He's going to name the team after himself. Or sell it to the highest bidder. Just watch.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

BRB, having a cerebral hemorrhage.

espn-jay-cutler-624x466.jpg

Keeping with the Bears theme, former buffoon GM Jerry Angelo will interview with the Jets for their vacant GM position.

p5sjC.gif

And one more damn thing. St. Louis Rams CB Trumaine Johnson posted this on twitter.

O3wzD.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived