2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

What makes

Ducks will be going to the thirds full time next year, and possibly get a new road uniform, per a season ticket holder on twitter who was informed by Ducks pbp man John Ahlers.

Good. Now if only they would change the name to the Los Angeles Ducks and ditch that silly disney logo on the shoulders, I'll be happy.

I never understood this argument. What makes it a silly Disney logo? Because it was the logo when Disney owned the team? It's no more cartoony (actually less-so) than San Jose's Shark or Pittsburgh's Penguin.

It needs some tweaking, but it's a solid logo and there was Ducks merchandise everywhere here (suburban Detroit) when they were using that. Now, nothing because they have no identity whatsoever.

I totally agree. It's a fine logo, but it was on that movie and is "Disney by association."

I HATED "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim", but they can be the "Anaheim Ducks" with that logo, in my opinion.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now if only they would change the name to the Los Angeles Ducks

Which isn't happening anytime soon because they are under a contractual agreement to have the city name as Anaheim, and only Anaheim.

It just looks like something you would see on a Saturday morning cartoon.

You make that sound like a bad thing.

Then again maybe I like it being that way because that particular Saturday morning cartoon is why I'm even a sports fan at all today.

The style of illustration was definatly in line with Disney's at that time

Minus the humungous eyes.

I do still think its a great logo personally.

I'm glad we agree.

I never understood this argument. What makes it a silly Disney logo? Because it was the logo when Disney owned the team? It's no more cartoony (actually less-so) than San Jose's Shark or Pittsburgh's Penguin.

And yet both of these logos get more praise. Weird, that.

It needs some tweaking, but it's a solid logo and there was Ducks merchandise everywhere here (suburban Detroit) when they were using that. Now, nothing because they have no identity whatsoever.

And it only feels that way because for about four or so years their identity package consisted solely of wordmarks. Being both a logo geek and a fan of this team, those wordmarks made for a depressingly dull identity. I like to think that with the slow move towards the d-foot as the primary and the classic duck mask as a secondary, the Ducks are heading back in the right direction and giving themselves a soul again.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

D-Star, me no like. Much prefer the Texas logo.

Quick n' dirty version of what I'd like to see the Jets go with. Feel free to bitch about similarities to any former Penguin jerseys.

FJmstDf.png

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Regarding the Jets' old logos:

They'll bring one of them back next season as an alternate, and even though you're right, and the old logos don't look good at all, the merch will fly off the shelves on a wave of nostalgia.

I'm not sure they would be though. If the crowd shots of Winnipeg fans during and immediately after the Thrashers' relocation told me anything it's that most of them have at least one vintage Jets sweater already.

I'm with Lee. I think a light blue alternate with the leaf-less wordmark as the crest is the way to go.

But that wordmark is one of the most hideous logos in the league. I really do not like that Frankenscript.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It ain't great, but it's miles ahead of meaningless hockey stick J's and planes in a puck.

I didn't put it in the QND up there, but I think they need a stenciled name and number style to really make things work. I get that the new wordmark sorta ties in with the original 72 logo, but thinking about it, it still works better than the alt logo on the front. Maybe if they used the exploding plane logo sans circle, it might go well on the lighter blue.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Great news for the Ducks. The third jersey isn't great, but it's a massive upgrade from their current set and is a step in the right direction with the emphasis on orange and the use of solely the "D".

Regarding the Jets, going with the 70s jerseys would be a huge mistake for two reasons: 1. Not your team, not your history; 2. They're hideous. That logo was bland and generic and the jerseys were just as bad.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Why would they change the name to Los Angeles? They play in Anaheim which is it's own city and it's an hour away. By your logic the Devils could rename their team to the New York Devils and it would be fine. Anyway after the whole Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim name debacle (they too play in Anaheim) one of the things in the contract with the Honda Center is that any team playing in the arena has to use Anaheim as the only geographical identifier.

My argument is that Anaheim is a part of the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area. The Angels play in Anaheim and call themselves "Los Angeles". The old Rams played in Anaheim their last 14 years and retained the name "Los Angeles". Los Angeles is a much more higher profile city than Anaheim. The NHL is a global product now. You have fans all over the World. I've seen people in Japan wearing NHL jerseys. So you have a fanbase the transcends the respective markets or even North America in general. (especially now in today's technological age where anyone anywhere can watch NHL games on their smartphones).

I think you would build a bigger fanbase on a global scale using the "Los Angeles" name rather than the "Anaheim" name. Say "Los Angeles" and most people know what you are talking about. Say "Anaheim" and most people would say "Huh?". I remember when Anaheim got the expansion team in 1993, most people in my neck of the woods (Toronto) didn't even know where that city was located including myself. I had never even heard of "Anaheim" until the NHL expanded there 20 years ago.

As far as the Devils go, yes they could name themselves New York if they wanted too. The New York Giants and New York Jets play in East Rutherford New Jersey while the New York Red Bulls play in suburban Newark. But in that case the team is named after the Jersey Devil so calling them New York would seem pointless. Plus you already have 2 other teams called New York. To have three NHL teams calling themselves New York is a tad much.

The Catch of the Day!

Regarding the Jets, going with the 70s jerseys would be a huge mistake for two reasons: 1. Not your team, not your history; 2. They're hideous. That logo was bland and generic and the jerseys were just as bad.

What's the difference between that and the current Senators 3rd jersey?

Secondly it's Winnipeg's history, so while it may not be the same franchise if that's what the Jets fans want then what harms is it to any of us? That being said as other have said I doubt they do a throwback now simply because there isn't near as much money in it as a new design.

untitled-6.jpg

Here's some interesting stuff that Torch Creative posted to dribbble today. They've done quite a bit of work for the NHL, including the Stars 20th Anniversary logo.

torch_stars_primary.jpgtorch_stars_secondary.jpg

The top logo matches Cole J's description perfectly. While I prefer the original logo I could definitely live with this. Sure beats that collegiate script. What was that franchise thinking when they designed their edge jerseys anyways... The mind boggles.

Ducks will be going to the thirds full time next year, and possibly get a new road uniform, per a season ticket holder on twitter who was informed by Ducks pbp man John Ahlers.

Good. Now if only they would change the name to the Los Angeles Ducks and ditch that silly disney logo on the shoulders, I'll be happy.

Get back in the water.

I guess you want the Green Bay Packers to become the Milwaukee Packers now, too?

Every time I see the Mighty Ducks logo I think yes, perfection. Too bad it has such strong ties with Disney, because thats the only negative. What an aesthetically pleasing and well put together logo that is.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

This jersey > Anything the Ducks currently wear

512g.jpg

Their road white jersey equivalent was even better in my opinion. The only problem with the set overall in my opinion is the lack of consistency. Too much eggplant on the home uniform, the silver triangle on the home while the road has a teal triangle, and the eggplant pants looked a little awkward on the road especially for the reason I mentioned above (not enough eggplant on the jersey itself to compensate).

8148000335_2d29a496c1_z.jpg

Keep in mind that the classic Mighty Ducks crest has been brought back into their rotation (shoulder patch), ever since they starting wearing their alt jersey.

It's not the primary, but it's a current official logo nonetheless.

Archived