2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in favor of "Los Angeles Angels," but not "Anaheim Ducks." Probably because they're still rooted in being Disney's team to me, while the Angels were always a Los Angeles team that got pushed out to the burbs. Also, marketing a hockey team as Orange County-specific could be savvy, while with baseball you're better off trying to cast as wide a net as you can.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well the way it's looking right now, may have a new Quebec team or a new Seattle team next year.

If it's Seattle, I would like to see them called the Pilots. Honors Seattle's sports history because of the baseball team, as well as Seattle's aviation history. It goes good with the Supersonics name. Also, it would be an appropriate homage to the original Jets lineage.

70389454.png

http://bleacherrepor...-be-resurrected

It's Bleacher Report, so have the barf bags ready. Some of them I agree with, others make me want to smack whoever wrote this.

There are a few logos in that list that I personally don't care for, but I'm not holding that against the author.

My main issue with this article is that the logos they want to see return, they want the FRANCHISE that used to be the team that used the logo to be the team to bring them back, even though it would make absolutley no sense at all for the current team of the franchise to use them (which is why they changed in the first place), and NOTto the team that currently occupies the city the logo used to belong to. Like the Devils using the old Rockies logo (instead of the Avalanche who probably could get away with using a modified version of it as a shoulder patch). Or Dallas using the old N-star logo (when there isn't even an N in their name). Or the Avalanche using the old Nordiques logo. Carolina could almost get away with using the old WH-tail logo if recolored, but the explicit appearance of the letters H and W would make that very difficult.

Agreed. NJ honors the Rockies in a mural at the Rock, and considers it a part of their history. But who is going to appreciate a Colorado Rockies jersey more, NJ or Colorado? I know it's the old claiming logos / history that are not yours, but as a one off night to honor the past, I dont see the issue.

Its just like when the Lake Erie Monsters wore Cleveland Crusaders jerseys for a night. In no way were they trying to claim ownership of the Crusaders history but instead honored a part of Cleveland hockey history.

Any pictures of that game?

6709329391_15090520db.jpg

Whole set here:

"http://www.flickr.com/photos/griffinshockey/sets/72157628899693139/with/6709346577/"

70389454.png

http://bleacherrepor...-be-resurrected

It's Bleacher Report, so have the barf bags ready. Some of them I agree with, others make me want to smack whoever wrote this.

There are a few logos in that list that I personally don't care for, but I'm not holding that against the author.

My main issue with this article is that the logos they want to see return, they want the FRANCHISE that used to be the team that used the logo to be the team to bring them back, even though it would make absolutley no sense at all for the current team of the franchise to use them (which is why they changed in the first place), and NOTto the team that currently occupies the city the logo used to belong to. Like the Devils using the old Rockies logo (instead of the Avalanche who probably could get away with using a modified version of it as a shoulder patch). Or Dallas using the old N-star logo (when there isn't even an N in their name). Or the Avalanche using the old Nordiques logo. Carolina could almost get away with using the old WH-tail logo if recolored, but the explicit appearance of the letters H and W would make that very difficult.

Agreed. NJ honors the Rockies in a mural at the Rock, and considers it a part of their history. But who is going to appreciate a Colorado Rockies jersey more, NJ or Colorado? I know it's the old claiming logos / history that are not yours, but as a one off night to honor the past, I dont see the issue.

Its just like when the Lake Erie Monsters wore Cleveland Crusaders jerseys for a night. In no way were they trying to claim ownership of the Crusaders history but instead honored a part of Cleveland hockey history.

Any pictures of that game?

6709329391_15090520db.jpg

Whole set here:

"http://www.flickr.com/photos/griffinshockey/sets/72157628899693139/with/6709346577/"

That is one inaccurate throwback.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I guess you want the Green Bay Packers to become the Milwaukee Packers now, too?

Nope. Just the Anaheim Ducks to become the Los Angeles Ducks.

Well, if you care so much about teams having "well known" city names, might as well change the Packers to the MIlwaukee Packers, as I'm sure people in Taiwan are more familiar with Milwaukee than they are with Green Bay.

Anyways, you should be ashamed of yourself. That idea is really, really bad for multiple reasons, and somewhat offensive.

With the Sharks, I've never been shy about not liking the orange on the jersey. I've put up with it, and it's just okay on the logo, but would be better with a lighter shade of orange/tan like a wood color (even though very few players still use full wooden sticks these days).

I hope they return to the Teal, Black and Grey/Silver. Yes, the orange made the uniforms pop, but what got me was making the primary and secondary colors Teal and Orange (Too Close to the Dolphins colors). Teal and Black. I'd definitely prefer Teal as the primary and Black as a Secondary then if they want to add something, do like a metallic Silver or something to lighten the old grey. The GGIII patch is cool, but I kind of like the older lighter blue/teal color with the Black and Silver the GGIII patch seems a little Philadelphia Eagles to me, or at least use a slightly lighter shade of the current teal. In addition the lighter blue/teal shirts they could hand out would definitely stand out better in the stadium and possibly on TV. I bet fans would be more willing to wear those than the orange shirts they tried a few seasons ago.

I'll have to look for a sharks logo with the new metallic Silver and a lighter blue/teal that I edited a couple weeks ago. If I find it, I'll post it and maybe create some uniforms to go with it.

I also heard the Sharks will be making the black thirds their primary home and creating a white one to go with it for the road, and relegating teal to third - I hope this does NOT happen. Team Teal needs to be Team Teal. Hope the Sharks brass knows this.

they should follow what they 49ers did. I think the 49ers got it right when they returned to the more traditional, yet somewhat more modern uniforms, keeping the metallic gold on the helmets, the black outline and slightly darkening the red from the scarlet, yet much lighter from the Cardinal red. It is a nice subtle mix of old and new while still honoring the previous outfits.

Well, that's my two cents :)

Random observation on the Ducks 3rd. The giant numbers and tiny player name font on the back are extremely odd. I just don't get it.

Aren't the name and number the same as on the primaries?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Where did you hear the black thirds will be the primary?

Just through the rumor mill, no actual source or anything. It was a speculation by some b/c the Sharks wore them during home playoff games the last two seasons.

That had certainly better not be the case. I posted in another forum that I fear the Sharks going the way of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Not good.

I guess you want the Green Bay Packers to become the Milwaukee Packers now, too?

Nope. Just the Anaheim Ducks to become the Los Angeles Ducks.

Well, if you care so much about teams having "well known" city names, might as well change the Packers to the MIlwaukee Packers, as I'm sure people in Taiwan are more familiar with Milwaukee than they are with Green Bay.

Anyways, you should be ashamed of yourself. That idea is really, really bad for multiple reasons, and somewhat offensive.

Offensive? Not at all. The Los Angeles Rams played in Anaheim for fourteen years while using the Los Angeles name and no one noticed. The Angels' attendance hasn't suffered since they've adopted the Los Angeles name. Obviously it doesn't offend Angels fans.

Now your signature? That's offensive.

If it's Seattle, I would like to see them called the Pilots. Honors Seattle's sports history because of the baseball team, as well as Seattle's aviation history. It goes good with the Supersonics name. Also, it would be an appropriate homage to the original Jets lineage.

If it's Seattle I would like them to use the Metropolitans name. The original Seattle Metropolitans were the first American team to win the Stanley Cup.

I think they should go this route using the current template.

ducks3_zpsc611051a.png

That's pretty nice, but I'd be worried about too much orange. It reminds me of my impression of the Boston set where I like it, but I think there is almost too much yellow. The yellow shoulders and the yellow socks just made it a bit too goofy for me.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Regarding the Jets, going with the 70s jerseys would be a huge mistake for two reasons: 1. Not your team, not your history; 2. They're hideous. That logo was bland and generic and the jerseys were just as bad.

What's the difference between that and the current Senators 3rd jersey?

Secondly it's Winnipeg's history, so while it may not be the same franchise if that's what the Jets fans want then what harms is it to any of us? That being said as other have said I doubt they do a throwback now simply because there isn't near as much money in it as a new design.

The original Senators don't exist anymore. They're not claiming the history of another franchise that still plays in the league.

I'm starting to like the Ducks third more now, but the shoulder piping doesn't fit the rest.

ducks3_zpsc611051a.png

That looks fantastic. Just add the duck mask logo to the shoulders and you've got near perfection.

I'm starting to like the Ducks third more now, but the shoulder piping doesn't fit the rest.

That looks fantastic. Just add the duck mask logo to the shoulders and you've got near perfection.

Then get a third jersey in with the duck mask front and centre, and I will be a happy fan for a long time to come.

Regarding the whole Anaheim/Los Angeles thing, yeah, whether we want it to or not the Ducks aren't going to market themselves as LA anytime soon. The contractual agreement with the City of Anaheim has already been mentioned, that and the Samuelis are both proud OCers marketing the team mainly to OCers, whereas Moreno chose to market the Angels to Los Angeles while exploiting a loophole in the City of Anaheim contract. That and if the Ducks change it to Los Angeles, if the Anaheim City Council doesn't throw a hissy fit and threaten to sue then the Kings will.

Personally it doesn't even affect me as I live nowhere near Southern California, but I'd rather they keep it as Anaheim because I like the way it sounds. No more name changes for this team please.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Archived