2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

Add insult to injury, Mark Messier, who did absolutely nothing as a Canuck other than run Trevor Linden out of town with the help of his good buddy Mike Keenan, wore the Orca Bay uniform. As a proud long time Canuck fan, that orca does nothing but remind me of one of the darkest days in Canuck history.

THIS is why I prefer the *current* version of the Orca. The old double blue/red/silver orca is associated with the nightmare of the Messier/Keenan era, the current orca I associate with the 2011 Stanley Cup run. That was the best season I have ever seen the Canucks play, and seeing all that success with that logo really made it grow on me. During the happiest time of my life, I was wearing a Blue and Green uniform with the orca logo.

@Mcarthy: I hate the Skating Johnny Canuck logo becuase its so goddamn cartoony and that the colours make it look like a big splotch (on the blue jersey specifically) when viewed from a distance. But really, the true reason why I NEVER want to see it as the crest, is the fact that the current Canucks set is gorgeous, and doesn't NEED to be changed. I'm afraid that if the Canucks management make another uniform change with Johnny Canuck, they'll screw it up and we'll have another disaster of a uniform. The current set, while it could use some tweaks, is good enough.

@VancouverFan69 I recall you saying (a while ago) that you don't know anyone who likes the orca and that the response to the Skating Johnny Canuck logo has been overwhelmingly positive (please correct me if I'm wrong, my memory sucks). On my end though, I have asked almost everyone I know about what they think of the uniforms/logos and maybe, out of about 30-ish people I asked, only 2 said they'd rather see that Johnny Canuck logo replace the Orca and 1 said they'd rather see the V-Head replace the Orca. The most common responses were: "I hated them (the set as a whole) at first but they grew on me and I don't think the Canucks need another jersey/logo change." And "History aside, that (skating) Johnny Canuck logo looks :censored:ing stupid."

And seriously, with the amount of jersey changes this team has made, you'd like to see them change AGAIN?! It ain't broke, don't fix it.

/End Rant

Connor, if you don't mind my asking, of the 30ish people that you've asked regarding their Canuck logo preference, did you ask only those of a particular age range(likely youth and young adults) or those from any particular demographic, ie. tourists or newcomers to BC?

Just random people I know and a number of my dads friends who come over to watch the game [between age 40-50], it just gets brought up at some points in the game. Only one of them I asked would've preferred the Johnny Canuck logo over anything we have or had. A number of those people actually would've liked to see the Spaghetti incident (88-96) make a full time return and ditch the current identity altogether. Most of the people in my age group (18-20) like the current identity so much that its right up there with the original 6. I get what you mean by some long time fans hate the Orca, I get that's its a pretty hateable logo for its design and the history behind it, but I would take that logo over anything we've had so far.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys. I've lurked this forum for a long time, and I've finally joined up to add my 2 cents about the Canucks uniforms.

Regardless of what they do logo-wise, they really need to keep the blue and green. The horrible mess of logos aside, I think they currently have one of, if not the best colour schemes in the league. The Uniform striping is really good. I like the blue forearms on the away. I'm not a fan of the third jersey however, the striping is boring and the green becomes barely visible with the thinner stripe and blue between the white. I could take or leave the font, but I wouldn't mind seeing a thin green outline around the numbers.

As for the logos, I think they should go with the modified stick-in-rink as the primary. Its not the most exciting of logos, but I think it has the most staying power and an identity can be built around it. It has the making of what I think could be a classic logo. The old one is boring, no doubt about it, but modified It looks great, in a similar way to how Boston's 'B' has staying power, but needed updates to bring it into the current generation. It actually looks good on the jerseys, and everywhere else you could put it. Its symmetrical (I'm a big fan of balanced logos) and it has all you need. The northwest colour scheme, the stick-in-rink the subtle 'C'. It just seems to work. Not to mention there is a sort of cohesion the logo has in the area.

I like Johnny Canuck, and I want to see him have some place in the identity, but none of the logos are really up to snuff for primary duty. The skating Johnny is too detailed, and would only work in a roundel (and roundels aren't exactly the most popular thing around these parts). The most I could see that used for is a third. The disembodied head has a lot of potential, but is still rough. I think it would make a great shoulder patch logo if they could make it transition better, perhaps somehow incorporating the V into Johnny's shirt. Given how important the lumber industry is to BC though, it would add a lot to the identity if used to compliment the Stick-In-Rink.

I hate the Orca. Its a terrible, terrible logo. First of all, they shouldn't have an orca as their primary logo in the first place. I know people argue that "They're not the sticks in rinks or plates of spaghetti either", but they at least made some semblance of sense. Yes BC has Orcas, but they have nothing to do with the team. If they want to represent the region, I think the colours and Johnny Canuck do a fine job of that. And if thats the main argument for the Orca, the script is even more redundant. You don't see the New Orleans Saints taking the field with a gator logo because there are gators in Louisiana. I bring this up only because its comparable in that 'Saint' is similar to 'Canuck' in that its something of a vague nickname, and both animals are characteristic of the region.

Aside from that the logo is just bad. The concept is convoluted enough 'an orca breaking out of ice in the shape of a C using the haida art style'. Wow. It really is a '90s logo, and beyond that, it doesn't even look like a hockey logo. It looks like the corporate Orca Bay logo. There are too many borders and way too much detail in it, especially on jerseys with such simple striping. A logo with that much detail looks bad on a jersey with a classic striping pattern in it like they use. The Orca looks like its moving quickly, and conveys a sense of speed and aggression, but because its in a C the equilibrium is thrown off and it just looks really awkward. The colours are bad. It adds a blue so dark it might as well be black, and completely neglects green. It really does look like the copy-paste everyone complains about. It looked okay (at best) on the old jerseys but is completely out of place on the new. Also taking into account the dark times people associate with it. Orca Bay's shoddy ownership, Messier, Linden being traded, Linden retiring, Naslund leaving, etc. Yes the Canucks had an incredible cup run in it, but the wake of it left an extremely bitter taste in everyone's mouth. That was also the year the 40th anniversary jerseys were used, so the success of the season could be associated with them as well.

TL;DR:

-Colours are great

-Striping is good

-Stick-In-Rink should be primary

-Johnny Canuck should be there, but needs a better logo

-Orca sucks.

It's a better version of the Penguins skating penguin. How is that not primary worthy?

If the inaugural uniforms had used the old skating Johnny logo instead of inexplicable stick-n-rink (which is IMO one of the worst logos ever used by a professional sports team), Johnny would be regarded as an untouchable classic.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I am the only person who likes the Johnny Canuck V logo. I swear it's not that I want to "sabotage the Canucks" or something. I just think it's neat! It incorporates the first letter of the city's name, and then the nickname. I like it. Sorry.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I am the only person who likes the Johnny Canuck V logo. I swear it's not that I want to "sabotage the Canucks" or something. I just think it's neat! It incorporates the first letter of the city's name, and then the nickname. I like it. Sorry.

I think works great as a shoulder patch.

It's a better version of the Penguins skating penguin. How is that not primary worthy?

If the inaugural uniforms had used the old skating Johnny logo instead of inexplicable stick-n-rink (which is IMO one of the worst logos ever used by a professional sports team), Johnny would be regarded as an untouchable classic.

The Penguins logo is anchored by the Vegas Gold triangle making it look more like a proper crest. Though after seeing the full bodied Johnny Canuck again on this thread, I'm definitely warming up to it. Just wish they could do something to make it look more crest-like.

This concept is still the best idea I've seen for the Canucks. All the symbolism, none of the cartoonishness. The team really needs to look into an idea like this

can.png

I think you could take the gradient out of that one (which I like) and slap the logo right on the jersey. I dig it.

Come, on! This looks great!

kesler_zps6fcda50e.png

nothing else is needed to make that a "proper" crest. Print it, Vanc!

its too detailed. i like the logo but it doest look great on a jersey imo.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Archived