2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most glaring thing wrong is the tilted Coyote head, but also the Ottawa shoulder patch. Why use that. Oh well, this stuff happens all the time.

Oh and I never understood the use of that stupid Minnesota Wild text above their logo. I mean, I'm definitely not a fan of the Vancouver script, but that is down right ugly and makes the whole logo look off-kilter.

Boston logo is also unnecessarily small.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

my only complaint with the logo is that it has absolutely nothing at all to do with the name blue jackets.

i like when they look civil-war-like. the star wrapped in an ohio flag just looks like a logo for the state capital (which columbus IS... granted), but it has nothing at all to do with the name blue jackets. at least the cannon logo does. as does the cap logo.

it's not a BAD logo... i just wish it was better. it's boring. would be great for a team called the ohio stars. or the columbus capitals.

venf9fmhgnsawnxxvehf.gifllrs2zxi127vkqgcsvfb.gif2xd2efir5fdew26px6kx.gif161.gif144.gif124.gif

Also do not directly represent their name..And if some of these didn't date back 50+ years they would also be called "boring".

70389454.png

my only complaint with the logo is that it has absolutely nothing at all to do with the name blue jackets.

i like when they look civil-war-like. the star wrapped in an ohio flag just looks like a logo for the state capital (which columbus IS... granted), but it has nothing at all to do with the name blue jackets. at least the cannon logo does. as does the cap logo.

it's not a BAD logo... i just wish it was better. it's boring. would be great for a team called the ohio stars. or the columbus capitals.

venf9fmhgnsawnxxvehf.gifllrs2zxi127vkqgcsvfb.gif2xd2efir5fdew26px6kx.gif161.gif144.gif124.gif

Also do not directly represent their name..And if some of these didn't date back 50+ years they would also be called "boring".

And I consider all of them to be varying degrees of very good.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

well... to clarify, i dont think a logo has to DIRECTLY represent the name... even a simple nod to the name works. the bruins logo isn't a bear, but at least it could be argued that the B stands for bruins. a nod to their team name. the washington capitals logo LITERALLY says the team name, and has stars, which are universally used to represent capitals on a map. the canucks logo, while awful, is at least shaped the first letter of the team name. the flyers logo has wings on it, so i dont understand why you don't see that as a direct representation of their name. the canadiens logo is red (the color of canada) and is also shaped like a C. the rangers logo, like the capitals logo, literally spells out the team name too.

the blue jackets logo does none of these things. it's got the ohio flag, a star, and the shape of a C for columbus. there is not a single thing within the logo that represents a union soldier literally, alphabetically, or figuratively. it's just a generic "columbus, ohio" logo.

i'm pretty lenient on this stuff, actually. i just think the blue jackets logo could be a million times better if they drew inspiration from their team name, rather than went the safe route and drew inspiration from their state's flag.

what if the sacramento kings completely abandoned all royal imagery in their logo, and simply put a california flag draped around a star to represent that they're the capital of california? it's the same thing idea. it's lazy and boring.

The Blue Jackets' logo gets a pass on that from me because the alternate does a great job reflecting the team name. Together the whole package just works. Kind of like an inverse of the Florida Panthers' set-up where the primary takes care of the team name while the alternate conveys the locale. I've never had a problem with the Jackets' Ohio primary or Civil War secondary marks. I just wish they'd use them on a sweater that's a bit more....inspired.

All the red, white, and blue teams currently have pants that contrast with their dark sweaters. The Capitals and the Canadiens both wear red sweaters with blue pants. The Blue Jackets and the Rangers both wear blue sweaters with red pants. Switching to navy pants full time is all that's needed to help the Beej distinguish themselves from the Rangers.

I've gone on record saying I wouldn't mind if they never changed a thing about their primary uniforms again.

BUT

I wouldn't mind if they became the NHL's go-to Navy blue and silver team and added small touches of red accents. Essentially, they could be the New England Patriots of the NHL where navy is the dominant color, silver is secondary, and a minimal use of red helps add spots of color so it's not LA-Kings/Old-Edmonton-third drab.

PvO6ZWJ.png

When are the Ducks going to make their third jersey the primary? It's hardly perfect but at least it has proper crest and some colour. I'm sure they'll wear them at home in playoffs in what is likely to be a long cup run.

When are the Ducks going to make their third jersey the primary? It's hardly perfect but at least it has proper crest and some colour. I'm sure they'll wear them at home in playoffs in what is likely to be a long cup run.

They promote the heck outta that thing, wearing it in their team photos, for promotional stuff, the website backgrounds, and yes, in the playoffs a couple years back (and on that note I can't see any reason why the trend won't continue). I think it's only a matter of time before they promote it to primary status.

That said, as much as the Ducks third is by far my current favourite, I'd much prefer a new set that's loosely based around it. Keep the logos, keep the colour balance, ditch the side panels for a hemstripe. As it is now, I can't see any possible way it would look good in white.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

How is a P with a wing not representative of a team called the "Philadelphia Flyers?"

...or a Native American on a Blackhawks jersey? They are named after Chief Black Hawk, and his famous war (who lived in Illinois with his tribe, the Sauk). Has nothing to do with a "Black" Hawk.

...which is what had me confused when CBJ came into the league. I thought they were named after Chief Blue Jacket, of the Shawnee, who lived close to what is now Columbus.

How is a P with a wing not representative of a team called the "Philadelphia Flyers?"

Because...the...P...is...flying.... :upside:

sig.png

...or a Native American on a Blackhawks jersey? They are named after Chief Black Hawk, and his famous war (who lived in Illinois with his tribe, the Sauk). Has nothing to do with a "Black" Hawk.

...which is what had me confused when CBJ came into the league. I thought they were named after Chief Blue Jacket, of the Shawnee, who lived close to what is now Columbus.

Actually, the Blackhawks were named after the regiment in the army the founder served in. Of course, that regiment was named after Chief Black Hawk.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Are they the Flyers or P Wings? Seems dumb, but without knowledge of the Flyers existance, I don't think the team name is obvious from looking at a P with wings. Though I'll admit I debated whether to put that one on there.

70389454.png

Logos don't need to specifically reference the team nickname in order to be an effective logo

By sport here's how many don't specifically hint to the team name in each sport:

Emm ell bee (kiddie speak): 9 or 10 depending on who's counting

NFL: 8 or 9 depending on who's counting

NBA: 8 or 9 depending on who's counting

NHL: 6 by my count

It's not a prerequisite by any means.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived