2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

This concept is still the best idea I've seen for the Canucks. All the symbolism, none of the cartoonishness. The team really needs to look into an idea like this

can.png

I think if they retooled it to fit the lumberjack theme it would be great. Adding a pilot motif would dilute an already vague enough identity.

Yeah I meant to write that in my earlier post. Turn that pilot into a lumberjack and that would be the greatest logo in Nucks' history. Greater than all the skates, sticks and orcas in the world.

The Catch of the Day!

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The argument that the Orca doesn't say Canucks is very legitimate. I don't know if you ever resided here in Vancouver, but the reason the Orca was incorporated as the Canucks' primary logo back in '97 was because the ownership of the club was called Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment, based out of Seattle. They were a very micro-managing ownership that nearly destroyed the franchise with the signing of Mark Messier and hiring of Mike Keenan. That's why many long-time Canuck fans hate the orca. It had no connection to the club's history and heritage.

The current skating Johnny Canuck is an update on the original version that the Canucks used during their pre-NHL days from '45 to '70. Like you, I wasn't keen on having a human character for a crest but my mindset was convinced by loyal fans who followed the pre-NHL Canucks. I began to see a partial resemblance to both Chicago's Chief Black Hawk and Pittsburgh's Skating Penguin. I strongly feel that should Johnny replace the Orca, it will be extremely popular throughout the sports world and jerseys would sell like hotcakes.

I said in another post that this was one of the few arguments I actually got besides personal preferences. As a fan, I completely understand that having a crappy ownership group can make fans bitter about that sort of stuff. I get that. I also don't think the logo necessarily needed to reflect the history of the team (this obviously coming from an outsider who doesn't have an emotional tie to the team). Also, I'm 19, and didn't really start following hockey until '01; to me, that is the Canucks logo, which could factor into why I'm more tied to it.

Funny enough, my brother lived in Vancouver for a few years and I would stay with him for a few months in the summer, so while I wasn't a permanent resident, I did kind of live there. Beautiful city (though I wasn't there full time, so I don't really know if it is actually terrible, haha).

Ignoring all the design issues I have with it, it seems out of place. I know the logo doesn't have to explicitly say the team's nickname (I like quite a few logos that don't) but it just doesn't mesh well. It comes out of left field. You can't just arbitrarily use something like that in a logo. Why is it there? (going by your argument that the Orca doesn't represent the region, why is it on the jersey?).

My argument was that I do think it represents can represent the region. I just feel like your arbitrary argument falls into the region of change for changes sake. It just doesn't give te necessary information needed. If it's because you prefer the idea of sticking to the historical aspects of the team, then all the more power to you, I find that to be a valid argument as to why you like it better as (I'm assuming a Canucks fan).

Just a little rant that has nothing to do with what I said above, I do think we as a community sometimes put too much emphasis on making a name or logo super representative of the region a team is from. While it is a good way to gain inspiration, I also find that it can make things too complicated (like this whole Johnny Canuck situation). I do it too, especially when making concepts, but I'm getting a bit bored of hearing that a logo looks bad because it doesn't represent the region, I'd prefer a team that creates a look because it looks good (teams like the Bears) or over a team that tries way too hard to make it representative of the region and looks only mediocre. Unfortunately, I don't think that's something that will happen very often any more. (NOTE: I'm not against teams using a name based on a region, I just don't like it when every single design element is flimsily presented as representing the region somehow).

Okay, I know it CAN represent the region. But just because it can, doesn't mean it belongs on the primary crest. I do think my Saints analogy works in this case. There are gators in Louisiana, so why not have the Saints use a gator as their logo? Besides, while their are Orcas in the region, its not like they're constantly hopping around out in English Bay. They're still a fairly rare sight.

To the Saints-Gators thing: the New Orleans Saints identity does not demand a gator logo, but I don't think it precludes one either. If the Saints wanted to make a gator secondary logo, I would be open to the idea. The analogy is not perfect and I said secondary logo because replacing the iconic fleur-de-lis adds another dimension that the Canucks situation did not have. The Vancouver Canucks identity did not absolutely have to have an orca logo, but I don't think it precludes one, either. Logos represent a franchise, which is both city/region/state AND nickname. Sometimes logos sway more towards one or the other. Hurt feelings aside, the fact is the orca logo fits with the region. Ironically, the Saints' fleur-de-lis from your example represents the region much, much more than the nickname. If it had been "Dragon's Den Sports and Entertainment, Inc." that owned the team and there was a dragon logo instead of an orca, you'd have a strong case for knocking that thing into oblivion.

I think we're arguing two different things here. I know the Orca fits the region. But I'm saying just because something fits the region doesn't mean it belongs on the front of the jersey. I know they "chose to go in that direction". But most people around here feel it was a poor direction to go.

This concept is still the best idea I've seen for the Canucks. All the symbolism, none of the cartoonishness. The team really needs to look into an idea like this

can.png

This would be a great logo for the new Abbotsford AHL team if the Canucks actually do relocate a team there for their affiliation. Lots of aviation history there in Abbotsford.

Even if it stays an aviator, it makes sense. That was the original identity of Johnny Canuck when he was a comic book hero. But a lumberjack version would probably resonate more with Canucks fans.

True, but its speculated that the origin of the term 'Canuck' itself originally referred to lumberjacks. Which does make more sense considering the area. Gives it a bit of an Oilers/Steelers/49ers/ vibe.

I just realized how many sports teams named after professions end in -ers.

Oilers

Steelers

49ers

Brewers

Mariners

Packers

and sort of Islanders and Rangers.

The Bruins' logo plays off the idea of Boston as the "hub of the universe." It doesn't tie in with the name, but it does a fine job representing the city.

The Canadiens' logo can best be seen as similar to the better baseball cap monograms. The initials of the team's official name, the Canadiens Hockey Club, are present.

With the Canucks' stick in rink logo it's just....kind of generic. A hockey stick in a rink. Nothing that ties into the city, nothing that ties into the team name. Sure, it's supposed to be a C for Canucks, but it's not clear at all with the older version of the logo. I still can't see it myself. I know the elements are all there, it's just not happening on a visual level. The newer version fairs a bit better, but it's still a stretch. So all we're left with is a stick in a rink, which pales in comparison to the Habs' monogram or the Bruins' hub.

The Bruins logo is a "B" in a circle with spokes radiating from it. I get the "Hub of the Universe" connection but I don't see how it's any stronger than the connection between a "Canuck" and the hockey imagery associated with the stick and rink logo. Lets face it, the pre 2007 Bruins logo sucked... But both the current Bruins logo and Updated Stick n' Rink prove that the right visual adjustments can make an awful logo into a great one. Both of them are solid marks... simple and effective.

Even if it stays an aviator, it makes sense. That was the original identity of Johnny Canuck when he was a comic book hero. But a lumberjack version would probably resonate more with Canucks fans.

True, but its speculated that the origin of the term 'Canuck' itself originally referred to lumberjacks. Which does make more sense considering the area. Gives it a bit of an Oilers/Steelers/49ers/ vibe.

Oilers

Steelers

49ers

Brewers

Mariners

Packers

That would be Rangers x2, and don't forget the Panthers x2! Oh wait.. is that not what we're doing?

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Oilers

Steelers

49ers

Brewers

Mariners

Packers

That would be Rangers x2, and don't forget the Panthers x2! Oh wait.. is that not what we're doing?

Hey- a lot of people pay a lot of good money to go to Panth school to become a Panther.

qvAvG.jpg

can.png

This would be a great logo for the new Abbotsford AHL team if the Canucks actually do relocate a team there for their affiliation. Lots of aviation history there in Abbotsford.

I don't think a lot of people get what makes a good hockey logo. There's a difference between a nice logo and one that would fit a hockey jersey. This aviator one would not look good on a jersey. It's a nice logo don't get me wrong but seriously, if some people on here were in charge of the Canucks, our catalog of jerseys would look even uglier. The logo looks like it belongs on a plaque memorial honoring fallen soldiers and the funeral that is to be held on such and such a date. It's not a strong, bold hockey logo. Plus there are too many tiny lines and details. I've seen worse concepts I know, but I still think something like this would be bad as well.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

can.png

I don't think a lot of people get what makes a good hockey logo. There's a difference between a nice logo and one that would fit a hockey jersey. This aviator one would not look good on a jersey. It's a nice logo don't get me wrong but seriously, if some people on here were in charge of the Canucks, our catalog of jerseys would look even uglier. The logo looks like it belongs on a plaque memorial honoring fallen soldiers and the funeral that is to be held on such and such a date. It's not a strong, bold hockey logo. Plus there are too many tiny lines and details. I've seen worse concepts I know, but I still think something like this would be bad as well.

Your statement is as accurate as it is ironic.

Watching Blue Jackets - Ducks. I wish the Ducks would either use the webbed D logo as a shoulder patch or just replace the full wordmark on the crest.

I wish they would connect the bttom stripes. Other than that I actually think they have great uniforms.

So I'm surprised this hasn't generated much discussion.....According to the Mothership the Dallas Stars' new unis have been leaked.

http://news.sportslogos.net/2013/04/01/dallas-stars-new-uniform-leaked-paying-homage-to-cowboys/

I'm kind of conflicted, should this be the final design. First and foremost it's a Yzermanation of the Stars' look, going for a one colour and white scheme. Unlike the Yzermanation of the Lightning's set though, at least this doesn't rip off anyone colour wise. While the green and white look would still be unique, however, I have to say I'd prefer it if there was a bit of gold in there.

The template's my biggest concern. The sweater we get the best look of, the green home sweater, uses the same template that the Lightning used for their recent redesign. Which is, itself, a ripoff of the Detroit Red Wings' template.

What's even more troubling is that it appears that the road whites use the Maple Leafs' template. Now unlike the Lightning confusion isn't an issue, but redundancy is. The team's going with one super traditional striping pattern for one sweater, and another similar but not the same super traditional striping pattern for the road sweater. Like I said, it's redundant design.

The real shame of it is that the Stars have a few decent traditional templates to choose from in their history if that's the direction they wanted to go, and instead they just use two separate-yet-similar traditional templates they have no history using.

All in all there are a few things I really like about this set, but I hope this isn't the finalized design.

Yeah I'm gonna go with April Fools' joke, too.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

so look at your calendar and start counting down the days. Let’s see, it’s April 1st now, so that leaves only however many days… well, you can figure it out.

Too bad, I actually would like this look for the Stars. But yeah, the Cowboys would not be happy.

But it does make you wonder if the traditional Dallas Stars italic star could serve as a standalone logo without the word mark.

70389454.png

Archived