College Football 2013 Season

GriffinM6

Serious question, couldn't those Houston jerseys potentially give them an unfair advantage? Their home "red" jerseys are half white, I can easily imagine a QB whose team is wearing white getting confused in a split second decision.

I don't see how these jerseys are legal. The NCAA rulebook states that If a colored jersey contains white, it may appear only as the player’s number, school name, NCAA Football logo, sleeve stripes, insignia for school, conference, mascot, postseason-game, memorial, or the military, or an American or state flag. See page 23 of this pdf. This is the rule instituted in response to those atrocious BYU bib uniforms. The yokes on this Houston jersey pretty clearly don't fit into any of those categories.

2010-max-bullough-michigan-state-jersey-capital-one-bowl-patch_over.jpg

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Serious question, couldn't those Houston jerseys potentially give them an unfair advantage? Their home "red" jerseys are half white, I can easily imagine a QB whose team is wearing white getting confused in a split second decision.

I don't see how these jerseys are legal. The NCAA rulebook states that If a colored jersey contains white, it may appear only as the player’s number, school name, NCAA Football logo, sleeve stripes, insignia for school, conference, mascot, postseason-game, memorial, or the military, or an American or state flag. See page 23 of this pdf. This is the rule instituted in response to those atrocious BYU bib uniforms. The yokes on this Houston jersey pretty clearly don't fit into any of those categories.

2010-max-bullough-michigan-state-jersey-capital-one-bowl-patch_over.jpg

Perhaps that's considered a sleeve stripe.

I'm sorry guys I didn't read it over before I posted and I was just wondering if they were keeping Fighting Illini or going with a different team name.

Considering how the school is pretty much relying on alumni donations at the moment since the state is sending IOUs to its public schools, they won't do something to piss everyone off.

As I said a couple pages ago, Fighting Illini has nothing to do with Native Americans. It refers to the students that fought in WWI.

http://archives.libr...es/illini.php#4

Perhaps that was a little abstract, but I was implying that the nickname would stay since alumni tend to react poorly to nickname changes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course regardless of the archives' attempt to assist an athletic department retcon, subsequent usage of the nickname and contextual imagery eradicates the "original intent" of the nickname. We don't think of doughboys when we hear Fighting Illini, now do we?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Adidas will be unveiling a new uniform later this week or early next week. I would love to hear your guesses on who it will be!!!

Tennessee is supposed to unveil our alt in the next couple of weeks, so i assume it's us.

illinoishelmet2451.jpg

New helmet for Illinois.

IMO, definitely an improvement. I'm sure they'll have a few versions of this once they role out the rebrand.

Improvement for sure.

Remove the blue outline on the "I" and it would be perfect.

Why?

It wouldn't be our logo then. A 2 outline block-I is our logo. To get ride of the outside outline, IMO it would make the logo flimsy, and not to mention the white outline against orange would be a light against a light and the white would disappear, especially from row 250 in Memorial Stadium. It needs that extra outline (not only to stick to brand standards) but to thicken up that I. Make it Illinois's I and not Iowa's.

The way they did it, it looks like a 1 color logo used incorrectly. If you want the double outline make the outtermost one a contrast color and have the inner outline go to background color like it does on white backgrounds or on other apparel. These look better than what they have on the helmet:

52-76263-F.jpg

(I'd reverse this and make white the I and blue the outline)

rb1726_illsofw_ofw_lrg.jpg

Or change to a 1 outline I, that would be my opinion. The matte helmet I looks so much better than the double outline I.

Iowa doesn't use an I for a logo (at least a recognizable one, they have one but its so rarely used vs. the Hawkeye, and even it has no outline) so Illinois can do whatever they want and own a I.

illinoishelmet2451.jpg

New helmet for Illinois.

IMO, definitely an improvement. I'm sure they'll have a few versions of this once they role out the rebrand.

Improvement for sure.

Why?

It wouldn't be our logo then. A 2 outline block-I is our logo. To get ride of the outside outline, IMO it would make the logo flimsy, and not to mention the white outline against orange would be a light against a light and the white would disappear, especially from row 250 in Memorial Stadium. It needs that extra outline (not only to stick to brand standards) but to thicken up that I. Make it Illinois's I and not Iowa's.

wILL-INI,

I know there is a navy outline on the I on the navy helmet, but it isn't visible. If Illinois's I is supposed to have a double outline, shouldn't the outline be orange instead of navy?

19309DA0-0724-4876-BD4B-81DA85F2AA7E-2603-00000298B0A9CF43.jpg

illinoishelmet2451.jpg

New helmet for Illinois.

Improvement for sure.

Why?

wILL-INI,

I know there is a navy outline on the I on the navy helmet, but it isn't visible. If Illinois's I is supposed to have a double outline, shouldn't the outline be orange instead of navy?

Ummmmmm..... theres No navy outline on the secondary helmet. That's the edge of the decal. It's clear.

Nobody is gonna pay for a 3 color decal when one of the colors won't even be visible.

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

not new, but a new combination: BPbp4iICUAABXof.jpg

Is that even close to the actual color of that uniform, or is the photo just off? Because in this image the color looks like bad seafood.

It's probably the lighting is bad, or bad camera

illinoishelmet2451.jpg

New helmet for Illinois.

Improvement for sure.

Why?

wILL-INI,

Ummmmmm..... theres No navy outline on the secondary helmet. That's the edge of the decal. It's clear.

Nobody is gonna pay for a 3 color decal when one of the colors won't even be visible.

It's funny how the "edge" of the decal on the navy helmets is the same width as the navy outline on the orange helmet. There is a navy outline on the decal on the navy helmet.

illinoishelmet2451.jpg

New helmet for Illinois.

Why?

The way they did it, it looks like a 1 color logo used incorrectly. If you want the double outline make the outtermost one a contrast color and have the inner outline go to background color like it does on white backgrounds or on other apparel. These look better than what they have on the helmet:

52-76263-F.jpg

(I'd reverse this and make white the I and blue the outline)

rb1726_illsofw_ofw_lrg.jpg

Or change to a 1 outline I, that would be my opinion. The matte helmet I looks so much better than the double outline I.

Iowa doesn't use an I for a logo (at least a recognizable one, they have one but its so rarely used vs. the Hawkeye, and even it has no outline) so Illinois can do whatever they want and own a I.

A9277.jpg

mO2pnlVnfTgvJaT0VXh6cYQ.jpg

Iowa does use an I, just not prominently.

And the top t-shirt is incorrectly colored, and a merchandising problem.

The bottom shirt is our correct logo.

wILL-INI,

The reasoning for the coloring on the new helmet is consistency, something Illinois has not done a great job of (see here). Recently though, we've used exclusively a double outlined I, predominantly Orange/White/Blue, with the middle always Orange. Even if the dominant color is blue, same standard, Orange/White/Blue (IE the blue helmet). So that the outside outline disappears, the main goal is to have the middle section Orange. With the new helmet though, there was a concern that with an orange middle, the logo would be hard to see. So our only alternate that doesn't have an orange middle is Blue/White/Blue, a secondary logo. Similar to the stripe on the football helmet, Blue/White/Blue. We went with that logo.

We do not have a logo with only one outline. A one outlined logo would not be an Illinois logo.

Our design department had no say in the matte blue helmet, or we would have included a blue outline on the I, no matter if you can not see it. The blue outline is clearing space for the logo on the helmet, and is even on the new orange helmet. It does look like our third outline but is too thin.

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

Archived