College Football 2013 Season

GriffinM6

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No such thing as a former alum. Just because a school uses black in it's logo doesn't make it a school color. Same goes for the Web style guide (which doesn't even use black). Heck, Texas' uses navy blue, but no one thinks that is one of their colors. WKU's official colors, to my knowledge, are red and white.

Alumni former Alumni...you get the gist of it....but WKU Football used black in the set before their last uniform and the basketball team has been using black for years. To your knowledge, you would be wrong! Their colors are Red, White, Black, and Gray. Oh, by the way, when I worked at WKU I worked on a Publications Project and I asked about our colors back in 2010 and I was told they were Red, White, Black and Gray.

What was wrong with the old WKU uniforms? Those are way better than what they went too.

Bobby Petrino prefers modern designs...

and young ladies.

on motorcycles

spacer.png

Illini formed from a combination of the word Illinois and Alumni. It was a reference for those associated with the school (faculty, students, alumni, etc) as far back as 1874. The "Fighting" portion was was in reference to the "Illini" who fought in WWI and is thought to have been purely a fundraising campaign for the building of Memorial Stadium at the beginning but obviously took hold later (see below images, one of which features one of the earliest "Fighting Illini" references). However as evident in some of these images from the the fundraising campaign for Memorial Stadium, the Native American association was already there:

http://archives.library.illinois.edu/features/illini/gift.pdf

http://archives.library.illinois.edu/features/illini/cloud.pdf

There was no Illini tribe (It was the Illiniwek) so I don't doubt that the name Illini formed organically as a term to represent those associated with the university. However, the origins of the name don't change the history of its use.

This same debate was raised by my alma mater, Carthage College. They were known as the Redmen and when the NCAA handed down their decree, they changed to Red Men, saying the original intent of the name was a reference to the High School in the college's original town of Carthage, IL known as the Blue Boys. (later the college moved to Kenosha Wisconsin) Blue Boys become Red Men eventually in Carthage I guess. The NCAA accepted this and they are still known as the Carthage Red Men with no Native American symbolism. Again, I believe the story of the name but I'm sure from the very beginning that they had a association with Native American imagery. I'm sure someone said something like "It has a double meaning!!"

I always wished they would have done an identity around Hannibal or Elephants or something but alas, they stayed the course.

What was wrong with the old WKU uniforms?

They're at least a year old.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Paul Lukas is going to :censored: all over everything in his annual preview.

Yeah. I don't always agree with that guy, but this time I think I'll join him. CFB 2013 is official a steaming pile.

No such thing as a former alum.

Alumni former Alumni...you get the gist of it.

You're not an alumni... that's plural. And since it means graduate, you can't be a former. Unless they revoked your degree, I guess.

Yeah. I don't always agree with that guy, but this time I think I'll join him. CFB 2013 is official a steaming pile.

You're not an alumni... that's plural. And since it means graduate, you can't be a former. Unless they revoked your degree, I guess.

What ever dudes, I was typing in a hurry and I am sorry that I did not meet your correct spelling criteria! But yes I did graduate from WKU as a member of the Class of 2007 and the class of Class of 2009 and for the record I will soon be an alumna member of George Washington University when I earn my doctorate next year.

But more to your point, you are right that it is not "Alumni" (a plural form) which is often incorrectly used as a singular form for both genders; for example, "I am an alumni of the university", as opposed to "I am an alumnus/alumna of the university." This usage is erroneous in formal or historical usage. The prevalence of this usage is probably due to an unfamiliarity with Latin grammar and the fact that printed documents and university merchandise almost always use the plural form of the word.

spacer.png

Actually, alumus/alumni/alumna can just mean you attended a school. It doesn't matter if you have or have not obtained a degree from the institution.

gYH2mW9.png

What ever dudes, I was typing in a hurry and I am sorry that I did not meet your correct spelling criteria! But yes I did graduate from WKU as a member of the Class of 2007 and the class of Class of 2009 and for the record I will soon be an alumna member of George Washington University when I earn my doctorate next year.

But more to your point, you are right that it is not "Alumni" (a plural form) which is often incorrectly used as a singular form for both genders; for example, "I am an alumni of the university", as opposed to "I am an alumnus/alumna of the university." This usage is erroneous in formal or historical usage. The prevalence of this usage is probably due to an unfamiliarity with Latin grammar and the fact that printed documents and university merchandise almost always use the plural form of the word.

nerds/grammar nazis out in force again...don't mind them

Actually, alumus/alumni/alumna can just mean you attended a school. It doesn't matter if you have or have not obtained a degree from the institution.

You could be a former alumni if you re-enrolled.

#mind.

#blown.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

nerds/grammar nazis out in force again...don't mind them

Really? A Grammar Nazi would point out the lack of capitalization, proper punctuation, and printed use of contractions. Good thing we are not, as you so eloquently tried to insult, "Grammar Nazis". Oy vey.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

As he should. This season is a visual disaster waiting to happen.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

BPYtDUnCYAAtByE.jpg

Ok, so here's the story on these- A freshman d-lineman posted the picture to his instagram account. When asked if they will be worn, he responded "idk yet".

As a Mississippi State fan, I'm hoping they're worn so Ole Miss looks stupid, but judging by the overwhelmingly positive reactions by Rebel fans, they want them to be worn more than I do.

What was wrong with the old WKU uniforms? Those are way better than what they went too.

Petrino has a history of destroying good looking uniforms.

Before Petrino at Arkansas:

LGXLRDCYWMSIWVZ.20061112042209.jpg

Petrino's First Year at Arkansas:

ark-08-09-allred-tylerkaufman-vert-620x930.jpg

The of course you have the 2012 uniforms, that were uglier than our entire football season

RSBWEHOSZBDMNTG.20120613144709.jpeg

vitnagearkansas_zpssgaiinbt.jpg

As a Mississippi State fan, I'm hoping they're worn so Ole Miss looks stupid, but judging by the overwhelmingly positive reactions by Rebel fans, they want them to be worn more than I do.

It makes them think of the silver service they use in the grove.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

TCU's head coach Gary Patterson has confirmed that they will have special edition uniforms against LSU. He will tweet sneak peeks of the uniforms occasionally. He tweeted the practice shoes for the game and they are black and purple with red accents.

Those are sweet shoes I'd pick a pair up if they sell them!!

Letsgoblue.png

holland_hs_sig.pngHollandMichiganPNG_zps9365937b.png

I hate how the chrome helmets have gone from having a sorta depth, like when Oregon first came out with them to basically being a helmet with a standard bathroom mirror finish on it.

From This-

ScreenShot2012-01-02at2.03.07PM_crop_650x440.png?1325541828

To This-

Screen-Shot-2013-07-19-at-4.15.38-PM.png

I would much rather have them be like Memphis than Oregon any day. At least you say see the sticker logo from the a distance clearly.

spacer.png

Archived