Rite of Spring 2013 (NHL Playoffs): "You have no fear of the underdog, that's why you will not survive."

CS85

I wouldn't say (based on the fact that their series is 2-2) that the Pens are performing "poorly". Perhaps poorer than everyone who thought their first-round series had the potential to be a sweep. Clearly the Isles raised their game to compensate.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Pittsburgh Penguins, #1 seed in the Eastern Conference, are switching goaltenders in the middle of their first round series with the New York islanders. Tomas Vokoun will start tomorrow night, relieving Marc-Andre Fleury of his duties.

...or, in other terms, "the Isles got 'em shook"

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I read somewhere that Fluery's save % in the playoffs is the same as Steve Mason's regular season %. He surrendered two of the worst goals I've ever seen, last nights one which iced the game and that one in Game 3 against the Flyers last year where his own glove put it into the net.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I wouldn't say (based on the fact that their series is 2-2) that the Pens are performing "poorly". Perhaps poorer than everyone who thought their first-round series had the potential to be a sweep. Clearly the Isles raised their game to compensate.

No, the Pens are playing "poorly" too. With the exception to Game One, they have been making all of the same careless and undisciplined mistakes as last year. It's barely 2-2. Give it to the Isles to be battling like they have been, but that should have been expected from the beginning. A lot of that drive comes from now knowing they can beat the Penguins. The seedings don't exist as far as anyone on the Island is concerned, while the Penguins are playing the first 2/3rds of every game like being #1 means they can just coast through this series. Everyone including the Penguins knows they can play way better than this, they just won't.

Maybe when they see Bylsma isn't going to wait around for Fleury (other than him the Islanders don't have anyone "shook", this is why Vokoun was brought in), the rest of the team will get their heads back in the right place, play the game, and stop beating themselves.

Let's not forget this is the same Vokoun and Penguins team that pitched a 140+ minute shutout streak earlier this year.

oBIgzrL.png

I don't know how good Vokoun looked overall, but he owned the Islanders this year. Three starts, three wins, three goals allowed, one shutout. That was before the Islanders started playing their best hockey in years, but I'll miss Fleury anyway.

I read somewhere that Fluery's save % in the playoffs is the same as Steve Mason's regular season %. He surrendered two of the worst goals I've ever seen, last nights one which iced the game and that one in Game 3 against the Flyers last year where his own glove put it into the net.

The Okposo goal last night was also pretty :censored: ing terrible.

spacer.png

I read somewhere that Fluery's save % in the playoffs is the same as Steve Mason's regular season %. He surrendered two of the worst

goals I've ever seen, last nights one which iced the game and that one in Game 3 against the Flyers last year where his own glove put it into the net.

The Okposo goal last night was also pretty :censored: ing terrible.

Yeah I know. But when that's (probably) not the worst goal given up on the night, it's really bad.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

1ST OT PERIOD

13:03 VAN DANIEL SEDIN : BOARDING (TOMMY WINGELS)

13:18 VAN DANIEL SEDIN : ABUSIVE LANGUAGE - GAME

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

If only we could have gotten a Canucks-Coyotes playoff series these past few years. It would have been the dive-iest, cheap shot-iest, whiniest and most floppish series of all time. The teams would try to one-up each other, ultimately resulting in Mike Smith faking a seizure, followed by Alain Vigneault clutching his chest and yelling "I'm comin', Elizabeth!" a la Fred Sanford.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Well, you know, Jay Cutler was more damaging than that.

His pussiness helped cause a chain reaction that led the Bears front office into thinking Caleb Hanie was a legitimate backup QB, and thus helped derail the 2011 Bears. So Cutler directly screwed the Bears chances in consecutive seasons.

(and how do I know Cutler is a :censored:? Philip Rivers once played on a torn ACL. So, of course, Jay should've been able to play through whatever feeble knee injury he had.)

I kinda hate that I have to acknowledge this, but since I know this will be misinterpreted by some, I must point out the above is all sarcasm.

not sure if serious

EDIT: unseriousness ascertained by tilting head, n/m

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

How in the flying :censored: did Pierre McGuire get an Emmy?

wait, what?

I have friends in the US that don't even watch hockey that hate him...

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

That was kind of a sad goal if you're the bruins

Chara is probably feeling just a bit bad right know

The Leafs lead 2-0 after one. Toronto CAN beat this Bruins team. If they can hang on and win this game it'll do wonders for their psyche moving forward. Boston's still the better team, but hey. This is the GDNHL.

This will either be an epic game for the ages, or a massive third period flop for one of these teams.

Archived