Rite of Spring 2013 (NHL Playoffs): "You have no fear of the underdog, that's why you will not survive."

CS85

Wheres the penalty for throwing the garbage on the ice? What a joke! How hard is it to keep a 3 goal lead in one god damned period!

I dunno, how hard is it to win a playoff game period?

Oh wow how original. Gosh golly gee I had no idea the Canucks were swept. Thanks for brining it to my attention. Got any other pearls of wisdom?

Yeah, don't buy an AHL team until you have a home for it.

*Clap clap clap...

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pipe down fellas. Leafs can't find their legs after the 10 minute mark, it ain't over yet.

We'll be seein' ya Toronto!

My buddy ended up leaving the game with 3 minutes left. I live next to the Garden and validate parking for friends that go to games, he ended up watching the preceding 3 goals from my couch, half crying.

That's why I always stay at the game until the end.

Pipe down fellas. Leafs can't find their legs after the 10 minute mark, it ain't over yet.

We'll be seein' ya Toronto!

My buddy ended up leaving the game with 3 minutes left. I live next to the Garden and validate parking for friends that go to games, he ended up watching the preceding 3 goals from my couch, half crying.

Ouch! Missing the historic comeback, that's gonna sting!

Canadian members, let me know if this is how SportsCentre opens

tumblr_m3y3t5h0QL1rrentqo1_1280.png

Still have NBCSN on in background...anyone notice that NBC still uses LA's old logo (purple)

It's the current logo NBC uses on their scoring graphics; it's actually the bottom point of the shield (since showing the "LA" part of the shield followed by NBC's team identification, also "LA," would be weird and redundant when together). And it's purple because having a black background on their team graphics would appear as generic and bland. So they use the next closest team color, purple, though it has no affiliation with the current logo and unis.

Wow, I missed the Toronto/Boston game. Was out writing/working and was checking in on it and saw it was 3-1 Leafs early in the third period and then when I stopped on the way home to take care of an errand checked on my phone and saw it was headed to OT. Got home and Bruins had just won. Wow.

Then I see the Rangers up by four over the Caps and watched them add one more for good measure.

With that the second round/Conference Semi-Finals are all set. Bracket has been updated. All four series look really intriguing. I'm kind of nervous facing the Kings. Not just for 2011, but because they are defending Stanley Cup Champions and are always a tough team to beat. The Sharks tend to raise their game against the Kings, so hopefully this will be a great series and the Sharks don't putter around.

Blackhawks vs Red Wings, Penguins vs Senators and Bruins vs Rangers are all great series.

I can see any of the remaining eight teams moving on to the next round. Unfortunately there are only four spots available.

Also just noticed that all series are close in travel time. Something like around and hour or less to each destination. Not sure if that has ever happened before.

East:

8) NY Islanders vs. 1) Pittsburgh 5 games

Pittsburgh is clearly the better team.

7) Ottawa vs. 2) Montreal 6 games

Ottawa is good enough to give Montreal trouble, but the Habs will win.

6) NY Rangers vs. 3) Washington 4 games

How did Washington get into the playoffs?

5) Toronto vs. 4) Boston 7 games

Each team goes undefeated at home.

West:

8) Minnesota vs. 1) Chicago 6 games

There's a reason why Chicago won the President's Trophy.

7) Detroit vs. 2) Anaheim 7 games

Anaheim isn't playing well, but will be better than Detroit in 7 games.

6) San Jose vs. 3) Vancouver 6 games

In a battle of playoff chokers, Luongo proves to be worse under pressure.

5) Los Angeles vs. 4) St. Louis 5 games

LA comes out with momentum and dominates.

Round Two

6) NY Rangers vs. 1) Pittsburgh 6 games

NYR gives Pitt slightly more trouble than NYI, but it really isn't close.

4) Boston vs. 2) Montreal 6 games

Great rivalry, Boston wins 4 straight after Montreal starts the series 2-0 at home.

6) San Jose vs. 1) Chicago 5 games

San Jose chokes.

5) LA Kings vs 2) Anaheim 6 games

LA keeps the momentum, ANA chokes.

Conference Final predictions and redone Conference Semi-final predictions to come after Conf. Quarter-Finals are completed.

I predicted 7/8 outcomes, but only 2/8 series lengths.

Round Two predictions:

Ottawa over Pittsburgh in 7

Boston over NYR in 6

Hawks over Wings in 5

Kings over Sharks in 6

ECF:

Bruins over Sens in 7

WCF:

Kings over Hawks in 7

In 2011 I went 8 for 8 on first round playoff picks. Trying to replicate that again.

Penguins over Islanders

Senators over Canadiens

Rangers over Capitals

Bruins over Maple Leafs

Blackhawks over Wild

Red Wings over Ducks

Canucks over Sharks

Kings over Blues

7 out of 8 and the one I missed was the biggest blow out series. I feel stupid for picking the Vancouver Canucks. I should know better than that, though in fairness to me that matchup was a battle between a Sharks team that in its prime was known for choking against a Vancouver team also known for choking. Yeah I should've seen that one coming.

Senators over Penguins

Bruins over Rangers

Blackhawks over Red Wings

Kings over Sharks

PvO6ZWJ.png

Penguins in 5 (Sorry Isles :( )

Canadiens in 7

Capitals in 6

Bruins in 6

Blackhawks in 5

Canucks in 5

Kings in 5

Ducks in 6

...le sigh. Does hockey even matter anymore?

4/8 on predictions, so :censored: me I guess.

Sens in 6

Rangers in 6

Hawks in 6

Kingss in 6

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

With regards to Ottawa/Pittsburgh, I just really want to see Spezzer back on the ice.

His skill hasn't gotten the attention it deserves in recent years, and of course the back injury this season has done no favours.

I dunno. While I give Boston all the hearty congrats they deserve, a little bit of my can't help but just feel gutted for a franchise that not only hadn't been in the playoffs since 2004 (the longest drought in the league), hasn't won the Cup since the final year of the O6, happens to play in one of my favourite cities on the planet, and had a 4-1 lead in the 3rd period against a team from a city that I generally, sports-wise, loathe (this has obviously been excepted indefinitely after last month's developments).

The Leafs were so, so close! And those last 90 seconds of regulation have now turned into five months of "what if".

What a bitter pill to swallow. At least there is hope for even brighter days in the Leafs horizon. Let's hope one of hockey's greatest markets sees many more playoff games in the coming years. The NHL is better when the Leafs are one of the best teams.

--

Went 5/8 on first round predictions. At least this time I didn't pick the Canucks to win the Western Conference. Three years of doing that was enough.

spacer.png

I just have this to say about the Chicago series: yes, the Wings were technically swept on the year, but 0-1-3 is very different from 0-4. Aside from that 7-1 debacle, this has been a great matchup all year. Both goalies are hot, both teams hate each other. It has all the makings of an incredible series. Chicago has everything to lose, and Detroit probably feels lucky to be here. That could be dangerous.

Best o' luck, Chicago. Hope this bitch goes 7.

1st round picks are in bold.

Western:

In 5...#1 Chicago vs. #8 Minnesota

In 7...#2 Anaheim vs. #7 Detroit

In 6...#3 Vancouver vs. #6 San Jose

In 7...#4 St. Louis vs. #5 Los Angeles

Eastern:

In 6...#1 Pittsburgh vs. #8 NY Islanders

In 6...#2 Montreal vs. #7 Ottawa

In 7...#3 Washington vs. #6 NY Rangers

In 6...#4 Boston vs. #5 Toronto

So I was 5 of 8 in the quarterfinal series, with the Sens, Bruins and Red Wings busting my bracket. Interestingly enough, 3 of the 5 series I correctly picked did indeed go the exact length of games predicted (the Blackhawks, Pens and Rangers series). The Anaheim/Detroit series went the exact amount of games predicted, but the wrong team (prediction-wise) won. Oh well, that's the nature of the postseason.

Semifinal round picks are in bold.

Western:

In 6...#1 Chicago vs. #7 Detroit

In 7...#5 Los Angeles vs. #6 San Jose

Eastern:

In 6...#1 Pittsburgh vs. #7 Ottawa

In 7...#4 Boston vs. #6 NY Rangers

Archived