BlazerBlaze

I like the first one because of the apparent element of using structure as a guiding concept in the design. It would be interesting to see someone really take that to the next level in a stadium and see what they can do with it.

That said, you can renovate the Georgia Dome to suit the needs of the Super Bowl. New Orleans just finished a huge renovation of the Superdome (not talking about the Katrina Repairs, but all the upgrades they did). If a 40 year old stadium can still be upgraded for a Super Bowl, so can a 20 year old one.

I agree with the renovations idea. Simply absurd to consider a 20 year old stadium to be outdated. I don't care what events you are talking about, New Orleans is hosting the same type events, as Mings just said, in an older stadium. And, yes the funding may be coming from hotel taxes, etc, but that funding could still be going to other more necessary items, not going to a stadium.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's utter folly, is what it is. especially in this economy.

A billion dollar-stadium will likely create around 200 union jobs for a three-year period, each paying local taxes and buying things at local businesses. There is an economic benefit to investing public funds in a stadium. It'd be better still if they were investing those funds into school, transit, or sewer construction, of course.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Honestly, the whole conversation about whether or not Atlanta NEEDS a new venue and to use $200 million in tax payer (non-Atlanta tax payers, as it comes from a hotel/motel tax) was a discussion that went on for three years, and I was opposed to public funding.

That argument is dead and gone though. Leave this thread to the new stadium, and not the politics. Politics phased out earlier this year.

No stadium makes a return on the investment. It just doesn't work that way.

Sure, but there can be a short-term benefit.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I enjoy the seating bowl of the first one over the 2nd. Its more soccer friendly which I know Blank is big on. Is it just me or does the 2nd proposal look a little to much like Raymond James Stadium's seating bowl?

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

I like the first one because of the apparent element of using structure as a guiding concept in the design. It would be interesting to see someone really take that to the next level in a stadium and see what they can do with it.

That said, you can renovate the Georgia Dome to suit the needs of the Super Bowl. New Orleans just finished a huge renovation of the Superdome (not talking about the Katrina Repairs, but all the upgrades they did). If a 40 year old stadium can still be upgraded for a Super Bowl, so can a 20 year old one.

The Georgia Dome just had renovations a few years ago, but said renovations weren't enough to convince Goodell to get Atlanta back in Super Bowl discussions.

There's two reasons why Blank wants a new stadium:

1. Obviously, the chance to host a Super Bowl.

2. Technically, Blank doesn't own the Georgia Dome....the state does. Blank just owns the operating rights. Whatever money the Dome makes, Blank doesn't get as huge a chunk as other owners do for their venues. The state of Georgia gets a cut. The city of Atlanta gets a cut. Blank doesn't like all these hands dipping into the pot and limiting his moneymaking potential.

Atlanta doesn't need another stadium, but I can easily see why Blank wants one, no matter how old the Dome is. He wants his own building, or at least, a building where he's getting a bigger piece of the pie.

Not one in any way commensurate with the public investment.

Not to say that there are no good reasons for public spending on stadiums, but "they bring money/jobs" is not among them.

I've the CBA studies and understand that stadiums don't generate the same capital they require to be built. I get that. However, when you have crisis level unemployment (8% in Atlanta), a three-year megaproject is a good thing over the short term. Again, something with more long-term public benefit would be better.

It's all moot anyway, because building a new football stadium in Atlanta is clearly stupid. If I were king, I would outlaw public investment for predominantly private return. However, we've done a whole lot more of the opposite in this country.

I'm all for modern and pushing the bounds of engineering, but that Pantheon is disgusting. It looks like a giant doughnut. The Solarium or whatever, I think, is a much better option. It actually looks like a professional stadium.

Sure, that Pantheon would be a visitor attraction to start, but I think when its all said and done, it would become dated and pretty much an eyesore in a relatively short period of time.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

We'll have to see how viable some of these will be to build, and keep under budget.

You should see some of the crazy things that were proposed for the Cardinals' new stadium...WAY more elaborate than what was actually built.

Its not that its no longer good enough for the Falcons as much as the other attractions which use the Dome. Ever since the Olympics, Atlanta has branded itself as a host city for big sports events. In order to continue to be in the loop with these events that the economy have become semi-dependent to, we needed to build a stadium which would keep us competitive. If you look at it from only the Falcons point of view, then yeah it is stupid. But as a city which wants to stay in the cycle and attract an MLS team, it makes perfect sense.

Sorry, you're never going to convince me (or probably a lot of other people) that a city with as many desperate fiscal needs as Atlanta needs to be spending $200 million of public money on this. Besides, the Georgia Dome hosted a Super Bowl and just had the Final Four and Atlanta had the Olympics for crying out loud. What "big sports events" are you referring to?

Those exact events along with the Peach Bowl which is bringing the national championship to town. That national championship game was dependent upon a new stadium deal. The NFL commish said the SuperBowl wont be coming back unless a new stadium is agreed upon. In 2003 when the FF first came to the dome, we knew it would be back in 2007, in 2007 we knew it would be back in 2013. This year, we don't know. You and me and my parents aren't going to be paying for this. Hell, 99.9% of Atlantians wont be paying for this. These aren't true public funds like income and property tax per say. Its a Bed and Motel tax, which means all the people coming into town and staying the night will be paying for this. Our tax dollars won't go to the new stadium unless we get drunk downtown and get a room for a night.

Of course we will. Because regardless of its source, the $200 million that goes to the stadium will not be spent on other budget items that still have to be funded. By you and me and your parents too.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

What is exactly wrong with the Georgia Dome; it is only 20 years old.

Because, like every other NFL owner wants it to be, it's not Super Bowl-worthy. The dome can host the Falcons, SEC title game, NCAA basketball and all other events in between, but ever since Jerry's World hosted a Super Bowl, NFL owners have shown interest in hosting the game in multi-billion dollar stadiums similar to the one in Arlington. Of course Arthur Blank will want to cash in the opportunity to host the Super Bowl this way, and he'll get it by getting a new stadium across.

Archived