Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole leaving TSN for FoxSports1 L.A.

nash61

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After re-watching that best of I've feel that myself and other Americans have been cheated out of good sports TV for years.

Lookin' at you ESPN.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

I find this timing very interesting to boot.

The whole Score/Sportsnet merger isn't looking favorable for TSN.

TSN has always been my favorite on the TV (not on the radio side) but it's really going downhill this year.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

So this is basically just Dan Patrick/Keith Olbermann/Kenny Mayne stuff. Man, Canada is just 15 years behind America.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So this is basically just Dan Patrick/Keith Olbermann/Kenny Mayne stuff. Man, Canada is just 15 years behind America.

Since 15 years ago was 1998...to my Canadian friends, you got two years to avoid selecting a crony President or PM or whoever leads your country in a Florida-style recount. Don't do the same mistakes we did; enjoy your 1990s-like economic freedoms!

The Fox Sports brand (RSNs) probably make up at least half of the local affiliates of NHL teams. I wouldn't be so quick to assume they'll ignore hockey.

The Big Ten Network, which is operated jointly with Fox (I don't know the specifics) also covers quite a bit of hockey. Obviously it's done because it's Big Ten hockey, but the point is there's a lot of hockey within the Fox Sports brand.

Hadn't heard of these two (for obvious reasons) until yesterday. After watching the "Best Of" clip in this thread's original post, it looks like Jay is the true star of the show. Without seeing more footbage, I'm not exactly sure what Dan does for anyone. Maybe he's just a damn good highlights guy? Either way, Jay's new FS1 contract ought to be about ten times whatever Dan will be making.

6uXNWAo.png

The Fox Sports brand (RSNs) probably make up at least half of the local affiliates of NHL teams.

Hmm, just for S&Gs:

Fox: Kings, Ducks, Stars, Coyotes, Wild, Blues, Predators, Blue Jackets, Red Wings, Hurricanes, Lightning, Panthers

Comcast: Sharks, Blackhawks, Flyers, Capitals

Rogers: Flames, Canucks, Oilers, Maple Leafs, Senators

MSG: Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Sabres

TSN: Canadiens, Jets

DirecTV: Penguins

independent: Avalanche (Altitude), Bruins (NESN)

So 12 out of 30 (11 next year, god willing), with some fairly big ones (Red Wings, Blues, Wild, Kings) but a lot of dead spots (Coyotes, Panthers, Hurricanes, Predators). I guess MSG kind of is and isn't part of the Fox Sports family, but they seem to have so much on their plate with covering the local teams that they probably won't pick up this fourth or fifth whack at Not Sportscenter.

Anyway, they're aiming high with this Fox Sports 1 thing, so I doubt they'll ignore hockey completely. They'll want to be all things to all people.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Fox Sports brand (RSNs) probably make up at least half of the local affiliates of NHL teams.

Hmm, just for S&Gs:

Fox: Kings, Ducks, Stars, Coyotes, Wild, Blues, Predators, Blue Jackets, Red Wings, Hurricanes, Lightning, Panthers

So 12 out of 30 (11 next year, god willing), with some fairly big ones (Red Wings, Blues, Wild, Kings) but a lot of dead spots (Coyotes, Panthers, Hurricanes, Predators). I guess MSG kind of is and isn't part of the Fox Sports family, but they seem to have so much on their plate with covering the local teams that they probably won't pick up this fourth or fifth whack at Not Sportscenter.

Anyway, they're aiming high with this Fox Sports 1 thing, so I doubt they'll ignore hockey completely. They'll want to be all things to all people.

But what is this really about?

If it is about coverage of highlights within the 44 minutes of a broadcast hour, that's one thing, FS1 should have rights to air NHL content, but the reason why ESPN paid the NFL so much for Monday Night Football was to have the ability to air more highlights and game footage than what they previously could. "Those Guys Have All The Fun" details that contract.

If NBC has exclusivity for US broadcast rights for the NHL, then FS1 is SOL outside of game highlights. And it is not like their previous product was giving equal time to the NHL over NFL, NBA, MLB, or even the USC Trojans.

ASIDE: The 11PM/Eastern and 1AM sportsnews show seems to be a concept that FS1 feels compelled to compete with, with these guys and Clarissa Thompson, just because they believe they must since CBSSC and NBCSN do not. I am not sure that it really matters much in 2013, like as CBS questioned the standard Evening News format after Katie Couric was fired.

Hmm, just for S&Gs:

I, being the stupid center of the universe American, forgot about the Canadian teams when I made that statement. So if you take them out, I'm about right. But that's an interesting list anyways, so thanks for doing the research.

I'm not sure if they'll keep doing the podcast. It seems like a lot of the material they cover wouldn't catch on with American audiences (joking about random Canadian towns, Canadian produced shows on "TV Theme Vault", etc.). Hopefully they come back to Canada once their contract with FOX is up.

I'm sad. YouTube will be less amusing without these two.

Dug through my Dan and Jay playlist. This is my favorite moment.

I can't believe I won't be able to wake up to watch these two on sports centre anymore. *sigh*

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Archived