Toronto Raptors to get an overhaul? Maybe name change as well?

toostyling

I assume those "Additional Colors" are only referring to the 'keepers kits, right?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys.

I don't recall that logo at all, must have been dropped in the first season.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Ugh.

Pretty much what the OP put in his original post, but with some more frightening quotes. Basically, he says that if they land the 2016 ASG, it will be hosted by Canada, not Toronto, and if/when that happens, they'll use that momentum to have a re-brand. So apparently red as the primary colour with a maple leaf on the uniforms isn't "Canada" enough, which means that he probably has an idea of red and white colour scheme with a maple leaf prominent in the primary logo.

The Blue Jays have a small maple leaf included in their primary logo, but are 100% royal blue other than that (they didn't even want to put a maple leaf on their BP caps, but were pushed by MLB to do so). You don't need to go full-on maple leaf/red and white to be "Canada's team". The Blue Jays manage to balance a fantastic uniform set with off-field Canadian promotion. You won't win fans across the country by dressing up in Canada colours. You win fans across the country by promoting youth basketball camps, doing an off-season tour and visiting cities who don't get to see you play, helping to grow independent/minor leagues, and uh, winning. You can do all of that without messing with your uniforms.

Leiweke is probably salivating at the possibility of tanking to draft Andrew Wiggins...

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Come to think of it (I've re-listened to Bob McCown's interview with Tim Leiweke from yesterday {available here if you are interested in listening}).

Seeing as Lieweke keeps mentioning the Blue Jays as the example maybe we'll see something like the tour across Canada that the Jays have been doing the last few springs?

I kind of hope that the purple comes back but maybe none of what Lieweke said was supposed to be taken as a name change or a new look/logo.

Maybe he simply meant the team needs to be involved with more Canadian communities be it exhibition games in other cities, basketball camps, a tour or, something to that effect.

I know it's a long shot, but would they consider using 'Canada' in place of 'Toronto'? Personally, I think it sounds dumb, but I'm not putting anything passed the NBA's marketing people.

Sigs are for sissies.

Kind of pompous for the Raptors to hold themselves out as "Canada's team". They are pretty much irrelevant in Western Canada, bordering on being a non-entity. I know a lot of NBA fans and I can't think of one person who would describe themselves as a Raptors fan. Maybe they like the odd player, etc. but I don't think the Raptors really register west of Barrie. At least no more than, say, the Milwaukee Bucks.

Kind of pompous for the Raptors to hold themselves out as "Canada's team". They are pretty much irrelevant in Western Canada, bordering on being a non-entity. I know a lot of NBA fans and I can't think of one person who would describe themselves as a Raptors fan. Maybe they like the odd player, etc. but I don't think the Raptors really register west of Barrie. At least no more than, say, the Milwaukee Bucks.

This. The same deal goes with the Blue Jays, although the Jays are more prevalent than the Raptors throughout the rest of Canada, neither are "Canada's Team". They just happen to be the only teams playing in Canada and thus the media shoves them down our throats. They're Ontario's team.

As for the rebrand, I do like the idea of them going back to Huskies and a blue and white colour scheme. It would connect them with the Leafs and Jays, and I love the idea of cities having unified branding across their sports teams.

Toronto Bobcats

A Picture of Bob McCown as their logo? lol

How about the Toronto Jules?

flashpoint-20080710110617599.jpg

(So sue me...I liked Flashpoint...)

Amy Jo Johnson...a.k.a. Kimberly, the original Pink Ranger.

(And at that I'll exit stage [upper] right...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Calm down. TFC uses red, white, and a very dark grey, not blue. It's very similar to the Raptors' red, white, and black colour scheme.

Yep:

TorontoFC_FRC_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Ooooh... have always thought it was a very dark, very desaturated navy. Time to recalibrate my monitor!

It's funny you bring up the Bucks, because the Bucks and Raptors are the two NBA franchises that I have to remind myself still exist. Outside of their local markets, they just don't seem to resonate. How beloved is the Raptors brand in Toronto? Would anybody care if they rebranded?

Amy Jo Johnson...a.k.a. Kimberly, the original Pink Ranger.

(And at that I'll exit stage [upper] right...)

It's okay. Amy Jo Johnson stirred new feelings in so many of us.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's funny you bring up the Bucks, because the Bucks and Raptors are the two NBA franchises that I have to remind myself still exist. Outside of their local markets, they just don't seem to resonate. How beloved is the Raptors brand in Toronto? Would anybody care if they rebranded?

Arguably the Bucks don't resonate in their local market, either.

It's where I sit.

Archived