This is the Best Looking Stanley Cup Finals since...

hockey week

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. The Stanley Cup Finals is the last series in the Stanley Cup Playoffs... when will you get it...

It's Stanley Cup FINAL. There is only one final championship series.

The NBA is grammatically incorrect, not to mention an abomination of the great game of basketball.

My memory was a black box with a gold logo on the boards near center ice, but I am not seeing it in your photo. And the mark just on the far side of the red line certainly looks like it might be the "stars" logo. In any case, I remember seeing it and thinking of it as some kind of alternate. Also shown are the "Stars" logo and Penguins logo on the scoreboard, so the team was obviously already promoting next year's logo...but center ice (and, of course, the uniforms still had the "good" logo.

In any case, I am biased, but this was a great finals from a uniform perspective.

Yep, that's the one. Pretty certain it was a kelly green yellow version of the "STARS" logo ...like the one in the team picture shot that year. But, you know ...22 years ...memory could be failing. Good eye on the scoreboard too.

starsiceclose-up_zpsd20d6788.png

NorthStars1991_zps049c39b4.jpg

CCSLsig.png

Join us at Space City Lions - Houston's Aston Villa Supporters Club

The front page article is pretty bold.

Calling Avs-Panthers and Penguins-North Stars the two worst? (I'm guessing this is because of the North Stars because Pittsburgh-Chicago was one of the best). Calling the Avs jerseys horrid? Come on now.

I could see Avs-Panthers making someone's worst list if they were REALLY not into anything approaching a modern aesthetic.

North Stars-Penguins as one of the worst? That I just don't get.

Some finals looked really, really good. The Red Wings scrimmage...not so much.

ronniescores.jpg

karmanos.jpg

"Either way, my team wins!"

beatingadeadhorse.jpg

Seriously, do we have to hear about how Peter Karmanos wanted his team to look like the Red Wings in every thread ad nauseam? I see nothing wrong with that jersey matchup. Both teams had solid jerseys and the Hurricanes had enough unique elements to differentiate themselves from the Wings in spite of being primarily red.

No. The Stanley Cup Finals is the last series in the Stanley Cup Playoffs... when will you get it...

The NBA is grammatically incorrect, not to mention an abomination of the great game of basketball.

I listen to a lot of NHL podcast and video analysts day to day, and I've never heard one person justify why they call the final series of the playoffs 'the Stanley Cup Finals'. It's always just a throw away title they use without thinking about it, probably because thats what the NBA does apparently. Every time the issue gets brought up, the people who know what they're talking about say yes it's 'the Stanley Cup Finals' for the whole post season, but its the "Stanley Cup Final' for the actual last series. Like I said I've never heard someone say the opposite and mean what they say, unless I count people like you.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

I listen to a lot of NHL podcast and video analysts day to day, and I've never heard one person justify why they call the final series of the playoffs 'the Stanley Cup Finals'. It's always just a throw away title they use without thinking about it, probably because thats what the NBA does apparently. Every time the issue gets brought up, the people who know what they're talking about say yes it's 'the Stanley Cup Finals' for the whole post season, but its the "Stanley Cup Final' for the actual last series. Like I said I've never heard someone say the opposite and mean what they say, unless I count people like you.

No, sorry. Kinger's right. The NHL has never referred to the post-season as the "Stanley Cup Finals." It's always been the "Stanley Cup Playoffs."

The term "Stanley Cup Finals" has only ever been used by the league for the final series. They've been going with "Stanley Cup Final" since 2006, but "Finals" was used for the final series for so long that it's correct in spirit if no longer fact.

"Stanley Cup Finals" to describe the entire post-season though? That's just incorrect.

No, sorry. Kinger's right. The NHL has never referred to the post-season as the "Stanley Cup Finals." It's always been the "Stanley Cup Playoffs."

The term "Stanley Cup Finals" has only ever been used by the league for the final series. They've been going with "Stanley Cup Final" since 2006, but "Finals" was used for the final series for so long that it's correct in spirit if no longer fact.

"Stanley Cup Finals" to describe the entire post-season though? That's just incorrect.

If I have to say it long-wise, I prefer to refer to it as the Stanley Cup Final series. Note the fact that I did put the term series in the pronounciation. Roll of the tongue, it sounds better than saying along the lines of "hey everyone, Game 2 of the Final starts at 5pm." Final what? Season? Career? Team? I just add-on series to complement my linguistics.

I would have said "Game 2 of the Finals start at 5pm," but after seeing that unique word appearing in NBA championship series logos for nearly 30 years, I always think of that nomenclature for basketball's title series.

Dare I say it....

nhl_g_oates_d1_600.jpg

Those Ducks uni's really need to come back in modern color.

No. "Modern color" is crap, and that color scheme was the absolute best part of the uniforms. That template's just decent. I'd kill for those colors to return, even if it was on the Ducks' current crappy template.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Hmmm..ok Stanley Cup Playoffs and Stanley Cup Final. I can live with that. Stanley Cup Finals doesn't sound right to me when talking about one series though, that's my main issue.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Hmmm..ok Stanley Cup Playoffs and Stanley Cup Final. I can live with that. Stanley Cup Finals doesn't sound right to me when talking about one series though, that's my main issue.

But it's 4-7 games, which is why the singular sounds odd to me.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Dare I say it....

nhl_g_oates_d1_600.jpg

Those Ducks uni's really need to come back in modern color.

No. "Modern color" is crap, and that color scheme was the absolute best part of the uniforms. That template's just decent. I'd kill for those colors to return, even if it was on the Ducks' current crappy template.

Let's face it: that color scheme won't work in 2013. Black with that flamboyant shade of orange, and touches of bronze is what sells.

However...they could always bring them back for "Throwback Nights", like Vancouver has done with the Millionaires. I think that would get people excited...

3144180.jpg?size=620x400

Something about that picture seems so fake...

It's a black and white picture that somebody added color to (you can tell because in the right corner, some people in the stands have colored faces, and some still have grey faces). Plus, the goalie's head looks weird.

Archived