This is the Best Looking Stanley Cup Finals since...

hockey week

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dwv7HRt.png

Disagreed about the Lightning.

Yes they desperately need some black in their look (and the victory stripes). But their current look is the cleanest they've ever looked. Their old black unforms don't hold a candle to the newer stuff. The white yokes and all the other chunky white patches are gastly, and the blue is nearly invisible. The crest had 2 fonts that were opposite to each other, which made the logo be what it always has been: a BAD logo from the 90s.

As a Lightning fan, I couldn't agree more. I hated the fact that we never properly utilized the blue and silver....and still don't, but we're MUCH closer than we've ever been to getting it right. I think if you played the '04 Finals now, with Calgary using their 3rds(home and a white away version), it would rank very highly on everyone's list.

SigReflect.png

Between the Caps, Avalanche, Stars, Ducks, and now the Hurricanes, this thread is giving me some major nostalgia for 90's hockey fashion.

(I like the 90's Sabres look too, but I prefer them in blue and gold.)

My favorites are the aforementioned 2003, 2006, and....

9933.JPG

I'll see your pic and flip it, because this is my favorite SCF uni matchup:

70020695.jpg

Something about the Habs' whites, under the lights of the old Montreal Forum, screams "menacing, hard to beat, powerful."

The city of Buffalo must be under some sort of curse. Between the Bills' Superbowl fails and the 'No Goal' in triple overtime, man...pain.

It's freaking unbelievable the amount of torture those fans have to put up with, considering they only have two pro teams. The only sports city that contends with them in the suffering department is Cleveland.

Bruins-Canucks was good. Great, unique color schemes. No red, which is rare.

2011-Stanley-Cup-Finals-Vancouver-Canucks-shutouts-Boston-Bruins,-1-0,-in-Game-1-NHL-Update-73057.jpg

No red AT ALL (logo, anywhere on the jersey) and no remote shade of red anywhere. That made this look extremely rare.

The last final prior to that not to feature a team with red in their color scheme was in 1991 (Pens vs. North Stars)

As a Lightning fan, I couldn't agree more. I hated the fact that we never properly utilized the blue and silver....and still don't, but we're MUCH closer than we've ever been to getting it right. I think if you played the '04 Finals now, with Calgary using their 3rds(home and a white away version), it would rank very highly on everyone's list.

Closer to getting it right? They sacrificed a fresh, attractive colour scheme to play Maple Leafs dress up... The thought of the 04 finals being played in your jersey recommendations destroys the memory of that magical, unexpected run. The Flames 80's jerseys are as terrible as Tampa's current set... Two bright colours matched with white and zero contrast does not make for a good jersey.

I loved those jerseys as a kid. Actually, I loved all of the Capitals' look in general from that era. Still do. Better than the 'effed-up rendition of an already crappy logo they have now.

Anyway, my favorites:

1982-canucks-williams-bossy-campbell-080092566.jpg

(Yes, seriously. Color-on-color needs to happen more)

(Just like in the present series, Pittsburgh's black and Chicago's red are their respective superiors, but neither matchup looks bad at all)

Yeah, Baby! Don't hate!

brodeur001.jpg

richard-brodeur.jpeg?w=510

No hate here. The Canucks' home yellow/away black combo in the '82 Cup Final was an awesome and unique look that was overly criticized throughout the hockey world. The garish Flying V design and the constant losing was what did those uniforms in. Had the Canucks shown respect to their past logo history and kept the timeless Stick 'n Rink or go with the iconic Johnny Canuck inside a black circle-type crest in the Flying V colours, along with far better draft picks, those uniforms would be right up there with the likes of the Blackhawks, Flyers, Islanders, and North Stars.

Remember, STANLEY CUP FINALS ONLY.

The whole playoffs is the Stanley Cup Finals FFS. When will people get it. The final series is the Stanley Cup Final.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Why do I remember the n stars in their new logo when they played Pittsburgh? I know it was on center ice at least.

It was not on center ice. They ended the "N-Star" era with the loss in the finals. The new logo was placed on the boards during those playoffs; I recall seeing it and thinking it was some kind of alternate logo.

The vid on this page shows it: http://www.bringmeth...91-stanley-cup/

I'm pretty sure it was on the ice in front of the penalty boxes as well. It may be in the video you posted but I couldn't bring myself to relive that wretched game 6. It's kind of fuzzy in my photo but I'm pretty sure that's it next to the Cup logo. BTW, that was taken before a much happier result in game 3. North Stars went up 2-1 in the series before the Pens just overwhelmed them. I was really rocking the 90's look ...mullet & all!

My memory was a black box with a gold logo on the boards near center ice, but I am not seeing it in your photo. And the mark just on the far side of the red line certainly looks like it might be the "stars" logo. In any case, I remember seeing it and thinking of it as some kind of alternate. Also shown are the "Stars" logo and Penguins logo on the scoreboard, so the team was obviously already promoting next year's logo...but center ice (and, of course, the uniforms still had the "good" logo.

In any case, I am biased, but this was a great finals from a uniform perspective.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Remember, STANLEY CUP FINALS ONLY.

The whole playoffs is the Stanley Cup Finals FFS. When will people get it. The final series is the Stanley Cup Final.

No. The Stanley Cup Finals is the last series in the Stanley Cup Playoffs... when will you get it...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

The front page article is pretty bold.

Calling Avs-Panthers and Penguins-North Stars the two worst? (I'm guessing this is because of the North Stars because Pittsburgh-Chicago was one of the best). Calling the Avs jerseys horrid? Come on now.

Archived